Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a used '08 cbr1000rr. A dealer not too far away from me has one with 2500 miles on it and is advertised on the web for $8900. I know these models are known for excessive oil burning and were selling for cheap when new at one point. What do you guys think a good OTD price for above described bike would be? And what are the chances of finding a brand new '08 still at a dealer? I read that they were selling for $6900 or so brand new and that was in '09.

·
Registered
213 Posts
6900 were just on a few dealers
the one close to my house had one for 9k OTD.
I wouldnt pay more than 7500 OTD for the one you are looking at.

If it has the recall done it should not burn any oil.

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
8900 is way to much with 2500 miles and the problems Honda had. Offer them 6500 with your cap set a 7K and see if they bite. If not, I'd pass.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
Eh, the oil burning was a bad batch of rings IIRC and wasn't necessarily an epidemic.

I don't understand why people have seemingly forgotten about this bike these days - the newest gen Honda 1k is an incredible bike and they're CHEAP in the aftermarket right now.

I wouldn't buy one from the dealer though - unless like aforementioned, you get OTD for under 8k

I'd buy this though (I actually thought about it for awhile :D)
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=273419&highlight=CBR+carrozzeria

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
That is the model and year I'm looking at getting in about 6 months. These are great machines. The oil burners were a fluke and only effected a percentage of the bikes. My friend was one of them. It's not bad, but it goes through a quart every 1000 miles or so.

But there is a very good chance those bikes are weeded out. I would not pay anything close to new pricing for a used bike at the dealer. Shoot for 7.5k OTD as a realistic number. 8K OTD is a hard ceiling, so don't pay a dollar more than that. 8.9K is a little steep considering you can get a new one for low 13K. An 08 regardless of miles, in stock form should pull realistically around 7K - 7.5K. For reference there was an 08 track bike with every bolt on in the book with the same miles asking for 8.9K. This included ohlins front and rear and a very good paint job. He also had all the power up stuff and clean title. This is a track bike that can ask those numbers. And it's still less than 9K.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Paid $7043 brand new, OTD... for mine. Sold is 8 months later with 8/10ths of a mile on it for $7700. I felt lucky to get that. Dealer wouldnt sell it in a crate.

Local stealers couldnt touch the deal and wanted $2,000 more (though ironically a couple called in inquire about mine). You'd be crazy to spend $9k on a used version unless it came with a flurry of parts/accessories worth the cost of the bike.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
freind got one for 7k back in February from a dealer in Chattanooga

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought mine for $7200 OTD in January of 2010. Its a 2008. I love the bike. (r6 is my track bike)

·
Registered
52 Posts
So, what are the chances of any dealers still having leftover '08's in their inventory?
more of less 0%. they were selling them so cheap that people like me HAD to buy them

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a used '08 cbr1000rr. A dealer not too far away from me has one with 2500 miles on it and is advertised on the web for $8900. I know these models are known for excessive oil burning and were selling for cheap when new at one point. What do you guys think a good OTD price for above described bike would be? And what are the chances of finding a brand new '08 still at a dealer? I read that they were selling for $6900 or so brand new and that was in '09.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Orlando, Florida

How about '09 leftovers? Good chance of those still being around?
Yes, but the deals aren't nearly as good on the 09's as they were on the 08's. They cut back production considerably.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts