Any of the OGs still around?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,842 Posts
Bumpity bump

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,842 Posts
Probably cruise'n in town cars by now. ;)
Dunno, I've got a prius plug in and a 1st gen regular cab 5speed flat bed dually cummins 1 ton. So basically the complete opposite ends of the spectrum

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
Or heaven forbid, a 3 wheeled cycle.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,842 Posts

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
No I mean when someone can't ride on 2 and they ride on 3.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Or heaven forbid, a 3 wheeled cycle.
LoL most of those Spider (2 in the front) guys around here are 30-50.
The Harley or cruiser trikes (2 in the back) however are the 50+.
Regardless, whether two or three, the crash protection is still pretty non-existent.
If they weren't complete junk in terms of reliability, and there was Winter tire availability, I might consider a trifer (two in the front) for the Winter days where there are ice patches. (fell victim to them once)

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,842 Posts
LoL most of those Spider (2 in the front) guys around here are 30-50.
The Harley or cruiser trikes (2 in the back) however are the 50+.
Regardless, whether two or three, the crash protection is still pretty non-existent.
If they weren't complete junk in terms of reliability, and there was Winter tire availability, I might consider a trifer (two in the front) for the Winter days where there are ice patches. (fell victim to them once)
No.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,397 Posts
Literally every Can-Am Spyder rider I've seen on the road has been doing something dangerous or incompetent, I give them a wide berth and not just because they're wide :cautious:

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
They don't look like they can turn as well as 2 wheels. Maybe half as good. But one can buy car tires though. Hrmmmm. The day I'm too old for 2. I may just eat a lead salad for lunch.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
@mordantly - I actually went down just braking on straight road. Saw it too late to get off the front brake. Fortunately I didn't end up under the car in front of me. Did run into another unexpected ice patch on a corner but fortunately saw it in time to set the cycle upright and eek (and I do mean eek!) out a trajectory that barely kept me off a gaurd rail and on the road. There was a wooded drop-off or steep hill on the other side of that rail too. If there's any potential for water run-off... ice, I just don't ride now. There are a lot of days that fall under that condition though... such a waste.

@XRayHound - Guys I've seen around here are quite boring with them... at least around me. It's the other two-wheelers that are more apt to get a little craycray... but that may just be due to the wider age range.

@redisdeadrideblue - meh. For days when two simply doesn't work, (ice) three is less cool than four? I'm passionate about two wheeling too, but I've learned there are limits... and fortunate to have learned this without being maimed.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
I only hit ice one time on a scoot. The tip off was my 1982 cm450e rated 45ish ponies was wheel spinning at 60mph. Got a little crossed up on that concrete overpass at 6am but pulled it off. Now I'm kinda spoiled with abs and trac control but I ride in hail, 1in standing water, whatever weather due to necessity. Ice aside, 19f air temp is hell on fingers when you don't have your heated gloves wired up.

We can all agree even a trike or what name 3 wheeler is safer then a smart car coffin right? Radio and heater don't factor in.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

Bought some Li-Ion heated gloves and they're really good. The right glove failed with roughly eight months of ownership (keeping in mind they weren't used for warmer months). But the seller stepped up and sent full brand new (not used/refurbished) replacements, without even asking for the original equipment back. Now I have three sets of batteries, two chargers to go along with 1.5 sets of working gloves. The Thinsulate insulation makes them warmer than my normal gloves, without the battery. The replacements are a later revision product.

It's interesting that water doesn't affect motorcycles like it does cars; and I attribute it to the profile of the tire. Even bald, it just cuts right through it whereas cages hydroplane, mistrack and/or slow down. There are days when I'm visiting multiple locations and stripping in/out of a rain suit multiple times is unappealing. But that'll happen with anything less than four wheels.

Re Smart Car, they're a rare site, but just saw one earlier today. It does have a bumper... which is more than we got. Main drawbacks compared to a smaller motorcycle is it can't quit fit between cars and takes much longer to bail from one in an emergency LoL.

BTW the title on that listing is a (really) bad translation. It doesn't have "touch screen temperature control" and "8h Charging" should actually be "8h Discharge" (on low setting). Memory serving, it lasts 2-4 hours on high.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
LOL! I want a pair with a led tv so I can watch reruns of knight rider on my morning commute. But am confused what nation of origination my ancestors hail from has to do with riding gloves? I take it the battery is in a coat pocket?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It's a Chinese translation. For another example, we wouldn't call them "electric", but "battery".
The cuff or gauntlet that has a large "W" stitched in it, is actually a nylon lined water resistant pouch for the battery.
Not that I'd intentionally use them with rain - though I've been caught once... a soaking rain will still
penetrate them which means you'll have to have a fan blowing into them for several hours to dry them out.
But I've not owned a pair of motorcycle gloves where that wasn't the case. Leaving them wet is just asking for mold/mildew.
Name of the gloves are "Warmspace". Found the manufacturer site....
Previous revision came with two sets of batteries whereas I think the newest comes with a single set. It also has a Genuine Thinsulate tag.
Anything with Thinsulate seems to perform notably better, in my experiences. So I look for it.
I'd avoid balling up the gloves, forcing your hand in without the gauntlet strap being looser, or wearing the gauntlet strap tight.
If the gloves are turning on as you remove/reinsert your hand, then the gauntlet strap is still too tight.
Make sure the cable doesn't get tortured when removing/reinserting the battery.
Li-Ion batteries in general are best stored at 67% charge level; and last longest when not deep cycled.
A full charge pretty much takes all night. (it's a slow charger)

60081 - 60096 of 60096 Posts