Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2005 R6. I have to drive ~108 miles to work each day round trip.

Currently I am getting ~43 MPG on the highway crusing at 75-80 MPHs. I would like to get up to 50+MPGs

I talked with Motosports.com about keeping the front sprocket stock and then going down 4 on the back sprocket to increase MPG. (48 to 44) Yes I understand that acceleration will not be as gut wrenching fast. Just trying to save some cash.

What mods would one suggest to increase the MPG?
How many MPG would you expect to gain by going -4 on the back sprocket?

Thanks and this is a serious question....so I am going to put on my flame suit now. Thanks.

·
12,482 Posts
Buy a car. they're better gas savers.

lol

·
D33PU
29 Posts
sell ure bike and or just buy a 250cc bike

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts
^ +1, the optimal cruising speed to achieve highest gas range is 63.4444 something. so 65 will get you the most out of your 3bucks and some cents of gas per gallon

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The lower the gear you cruise at, the worse the mpg you'll get. If you're riding on the highway to work everyday, crank that thing into 5th gear and ride.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The lower the gear you cruise at, the worse the mpg you'll get. If you're riding on the highway to work everyday, crank that thing into 5th gear and ride.
This might be a stupid question, but if he was running down the highway at 70 why wouldn't he be in top gear already?:dunce:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
????
5th gear or 6th gear???
im confused
mods to increase mpg
k&n airfilter
pipe
headers
pcIII
good tune
valve job
properly inflated tires
staying tucked
losing weight
i can go on and on

actually power is the result of efficiancy

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
yeah... sell your bike and buy a hybrid.

My bike gets about 28-32 MPG... Quit your bytching...

or buy a moped.

·
Its in the 10's now
680 Posts
If you go down 4 teeth in the rear you will have to break your chain and get a new rivit master link and take out about 2 links. Give it a shot and let us know how it works.

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
I can't believe your complaining about 43mpg..get a closer job if its that much of a hassle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Geesh, why all the hate? The guy had a simple question, damn... I'd say just slow it down a bit to 65mph, you really don't save much time by going 70mph, maybe a couple minutes. But you should see around 50mpg cruising along at 65 in 6th gear.

When cruising along at that speed I'm seeing 51mpg on my 07 R6S

·
My R6 doesn't eat me.
213 Posts
Any time someone asks how to do anything with their bike that sport bikes weren't "made" to do or isn't performance related.
Everybody flames em and tells them to sell their bike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Any time someone asks how to do anything with their bike that sport bikes weren't "made" to do or isn't performance related.
+1 i dont see why people care so much cause someone wanted to ask people he obviously has a respect for and thinks they would be able to help him save some gas. At least he's out there riding IMO, as long as your riding more power to ya.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Geesh, why all the hate? The guy had a simple question, damn... I'd say just slow it down a bit to 65mph, you really don't save much time by going 70mph, maybe a couple minutes. But you should see around 50mpg cruising along at 65 in 6th gear.

When cruising along at that speed I'm seeing 51mpg on my 07 R6S
Freekin Whah

DUH... Sport bikes are for fun, not for fuel economy.

RavenRacing;756184[B said:
]+1 i dont see why people care so much cause someone wanted to ask people he obviously has a respect for and thinks they would be able to help him save some gas[/B]. At least he's out there riding IMO, as long as your riding more power to ya.
He asked the question... WE gave out answer.

Don't be so butt hurt when people answer someone's question. ESPECIALLY when there is a WHOLE BUNCH of sarcasm in the answer.

Come on guys. Lighten up. Sheesh.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
I found this a long time ago but I am not sure if this is any good or not..

FLO-COMMANDER SYSTEMS

Flo Commander has been continually asked, why they haven't said here exactly what performance gains could be expected, besides "substantial".

So many companies "pump up" the real numbers on their products, and also don't mention the power losses elsewhere in the curve that happen, in order to get a gain somewhere else. They didn't want to be thought of as they are. So they decided to wait until so many people worldwide, were using the Flo-Commander, with extremely great results, no one could intelligently dispute so many peoples results. They can now let the product and it's users proclaim the results.

We realized the numbers sound way too hard to believe, but, now you can ask people worldwide now using them what they think. The performance gains are phenomenal. Of course we should tell you our own test results. The average numbers we get back from countless others, who put their bikes on a dyno, range from a 4 to 8 HP gain, a longer HP and TQ curve, better and more controllable throttle response with a much smoother curve. It's not just a gain on the top end, it's an entire curve improvement. Most are on engines from 600 cc's to 1200 cc's, but there are many on larger and smaller engines as well.

·
Forum Moderator
3,110 Posts
Trade your R6 for a YZF 600R. I had one of these for my first bike. I got 50 plus mpg easy on it while on the highway. It's still fun to ride in the curves too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts