Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left my Yamaha R6 2011 in storage for 2 years in my garage located in Michigan. I used non-synthetic oil and rode it for 200-300 miles before storing it. The first thing I did before riding it was conduct an oil change using synthetic 20W-50 Valvoline oil and a new K&N filter. When riding it I noticed that every 2 gears I go up I cannot go down to the last gear. For example, if I got to 3rd gear I cannot go to 2nd or 1st. If I go to 5th gear I cannot go down into 4th gear. It is only when I am stopped can I force (emphasis on force) it into the lower gears by rocking it and downshifting into the lower gears, I do not pull the clutch in when I do this. What can it be? A dirty clutch? A bad clutch? Did I store it improperly? Any suggestions would help! I did not have this problem when I stored it

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,318 Posts
Clutch adjustment or plate drag are first to check. Then shifter if bent or pinch bolt loose.

Reactions: Straight Success

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Is the nut on that infernal, dangerous and generally bad K&N filter rubbing on the shift linkage? (If you can’t tell, I am not a fan of that company’s oil filters).

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I'm going to assume that you've neutralized throttle so that no pressure is being placed on the transmission as you attempt to shift on the move.

It being a clutchless shift transmission, should take the state of the clutch, completely out of the equation. Regardless of whether you have that lever pulled, as long as there's little/no pressure between the transmission and engine, you should be able to shift up or down. Whether you're in gears 1/3/5 or 2/4/6 makes no difference; other than the large ratio jump between 1/2.

Check out the shift lever assembly. Make sure the nut hasn't loosened, allowing the shifter to slip on the shaft splines.

Beyond that, only possibility I'm thinking of, involves splitting the case open... more especially if it's only affecting downshifts from specifically from even or odd gears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the nut on that infernal, dangerous and generally bad K&N filter rubbing on the shift linkage? (If you can’t tell, I am not a fan of that company’s oil filters).
Sorry for the late reply,

No it isn’t, the shift linkage is not damaged at all either. P.S. K&N filters are insufferable and this was the last time buying one.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
First of all, I doubt this has anything to do with the way it was stored.
Post some photos of the shift rod, the upper shift arm and the lower end of the rod at the foot lever. ....and while you’re at it, show how much clearance you have to the oil filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts