Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September issue of Cycle World has the results and write-up of this year's MasterBike. R6 did very well. Won the SuperSports, beating the 675, GSX-R600, ZX-6R, and CBR600RR. Had a best lap time of 1:37.211 which by the way, beat the best lap time of the GSX-R750 "SuperBike" (1:38.000). In the final round, CBR1000RR vs. Aprilia RSV1000R vs. R6, the R6 held its own beating the RSV1000R but losing to the CBR1000RR to garner an overall second place (out of the total fourteen entries).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya, we cant win them all.
how did the 600RR do in the track segment?
Of the five Supersports, the 600RR was dead last with a best lap time of 1:38.511 (the ZX-6R was third with a best lap time of 1:38.186). I should mention, that the "test riders" for MasterBike are basically pros and not your average motorcycle journalists. Hence, the poor showing of the 600RR as well as the GSX-R600 which are typically more "user friendly" and have a bias away from a true trackbike. The odd one is the Daytona 675, which by most accounts is quite street-able and scored second in the 2008 test (best lap time of 1:37.913). Many of the test riders complained of poor ergonomics for the 600RR: pegs too low and handle bars too high to be a serious contender on the track.

Make sure you buy the issue and read the entire test. Mark Cernicky was the writer/rider and the only American in the test. I actually believe this helps the R6 as the American motorcycle press is seemingly biased towards Suzuki.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i think the Honda lacks on the track because it doesnt have a slipper.
once u put rearsets, clipons and a slipper on the bike, its a totally different beast.
1.2 second spread from first to last in the 600s is pretty good tho.

when Honda sent me the survey on what to upgrade on future models, all i said in huge words was SLIPPER CLUTCH lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea I got the same issue yesterday, another thing I noticed is the ZX10's top end on the track straight, 10+ MPH more then any other 1000cc.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Got my cycle world last night. It was interesting that they change circuits, the past few years have been a Valencia and that is a more flowing circuit. This year smooth throttle seem to rule the day, and I think that helped the R6. Big complaints on the MV F4 (last years winner) and the ZX10 (which as mentioned was brutally fast) was a very hard time controling the engine power in tight corners. Also Ducati pulled out because the control tire a Dunlop D209 hit the front cylinder head under hard braking. When they adjusted the 1098R's suspension so it didn't hit the front was too high. I would think the 1098R would have done well on a different control tire.

I think the R6 is an excellent bike and it would be interesting to compare the '08 to my bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
:toocool:

That's great and I have both of them...R6 and CBR1000RR that is...but, I guess you can take what the mags say with a grain of salt sometimes. Either way, we all got bragging rights...:YEA

Now I need to just ensure my skills are as good as my bike...they do no good if you can't ride them to their potential, which is a pretty difficult task to accomplish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awsome!! Great to hear that R6 did well. Honestly i was reading about the 2006 and 2008 superbike shootout and the R6 scored last in both of those years. Very sucky but honestly brings me down a little after reading that crap, then i just gear up and get on my baby for a ride. Hell guys, no clue what the hell they are talking about but it all goes out of my head once i punch that trottle!!!!

Everyone has preferences but to me R6 is the king!!

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i really want a new 1000RR, but i doubt it will happen anytime soon.
funny tho, because ive read a few tests that gave the zx10r top honors for 08, they even said it out accelerated the busa and zx14 to 180 mph.

magazine tests are a good judge of how well a bike performs, but the "slowest" model can win a championship, cough cough* 2007 AMA supersport.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts