Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R6 indicator relay swap out to a LED indicator relay? Being a oem relay, it's very easy to do! Doesn't matter what model R6 your going to change over from the incandescent system to full LED as they will all sport a 2 pin relay. Here in photo # 2 , is the LED plug & play type relay. That will plug straight into your R6, 2 pin male connector, as well as fitting & mounting into the same oem relay position in the R6 seat well. When you remove the original oem indicator relay, you'll slip off its rubber post mount clip & just put it on the new LED relay to fix to the R6 indicator relay mounting post.

photo #1 shows original oem indicator removed, where it's rubber mount clip will be reused.
photo#2 shows the LED indicator relay which will plug straight into any model R6, which is an important part of the R6 LED indicators retro installation.
Photo #3 shows original oem indicator relay being removed from R6 2 pin male connector in seat well.
Photo #4 shows new LED indicator relay fitted to R6 2 pin male connector, where it will fit in the same position as original oem relay removed.

This 2 pin LED relay is R6 plug & play ready and can be bought online for as low as $5. NOTE: this information is concentrating on the LED relay swap out, as many videos explain the LED indicators installation with very little on the relay swap.
Brown Road surface Wood Asphalt Brick
Brown Amber Wood Road surface Asphalt
Bumper Automotive exterior Gesture Finger Automotive tire
Finger Gas Electrical wiring Cable Machine

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
LED turn sig relay I bought was fine at battery voltage, but at running voltage it flashed a little too fast for my animated tail lights in the rear. Went back to OEM relay and added resistors instead.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see using resistors when ya relay try gave ya zero joy? Ok? So is your R6 fitted with all 4 LED indicators?, Or is it, let's say half & half? ~
( 2 indicators that are incandescent, & 2 LED indicators) as if you do have a half & half indicators set up? This is another way you can take, if you are not pleased with the limited outcome that resistors give ya. You can get the 2 pin relay ( found online for $2~$3 delivered), that has the adjustable screw where your able to slow or speed up ya R6's blink timing, to your liking.
"Note"! If your R6 has a half "N" half indicators set up? This 2 pin adjustable indicator relay will need a splice connector, 2 x 10amp wires, with the correct female connector to join in the R6's harness, & the 2 right size spade connectors to join up to the adjustable relay, to connect up right.
Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Cable Automotive lighting

Font Material property Rectangle Gas Handwriting

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,538 Posts
I used, basically, that same relay when updating the electrical system on my 1979 Suzuki GS550. All my lighting is LED, and it works great, with a nice flash rate. Been on the bike for about 10 years, no issue. In mine, though, the connector had to be cut off and replaced with flat spades because my OEM relay was the old school round flasher
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
@Spider64 - Adjustable with a pot... didn't know those existed. Been 100% LED for a year or two. Some people were ignoring my front incadescent turn sig. Testing showed I needed one resistor for each corner.

The plastic base for the LED "bulbs" are too thick for the stock sockets so bent the pins out of the way and shaved them down.

@8Ball - Nice brake upgrade. Judging by how many had that upgrade in photos, there must be kits available. Stopping is far more important than going.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,538 Posts
@8Ball - Nice brake upgrade. Judging by how many had that upgrade in photos, there must be kits available. Stopping is far more important than going.
The front forks and brakes are off an 83 model. That gave me dual discs and the forks slotted into the original triples. Suzuki was nice enough to drill the right side of the hub so I could just bolt the second disc to the original wheel. Master cylinder is off an early GSX-R which gives me a little less travel in the lever, but at the cost of little less feel.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,588 Posts
I wonder which flash rate is safer for actually getting a brain to pay attention.. slow, "oem", or the typical led hyper flash when no resistance is inline.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used, basically, that same relay when updating the electrical system on my 1979 Suzuki GS550. All my lighting is LED, and it works great, with a nice flash rate. Been on the bike for about 10 years, no issue. In mine, though, the connector had to be cut off and replaced with flat spades because my OEM relay was the old school round flasher
View attachment 379658
View attachment 379660
View attachment 379657
Nicely kept 79! Tucked in LED's give it a sleek look. You don't see too many same GS's still on the street, kept to that condition here, unless maybe at a bike show where it's carried around on a trailer or truck.
"On ya Mate"!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Tucked in LED's give it a sleek look. You don't see too many same GS's still on the street, kept to that condition here, unless maybe at a bike show where it's carried around on a trailer or truck.
The reason I use the OEM stalks is for visibility. The huggers are virtually invisible to oncoming drivers, more especially at night when they'll get washed-out in the headlights. Not safe for street use. (and irrelevant on a track so not sure wth they're for...) There are some "universal" aftermarket stalks but I wonder whether those will push out far enough. Plus aesthetically they may not "match" the bike as well as the OEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts