Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm gonna be new to the Forum, however, i look foward to learning alot. Unfortuneitly I'm only 15 ((almost 16)) and i wont be driving for a little while....but i assure you i'll be going r6!

:wave

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
welcome to the forum....

Sorry to say it, but I wouldn't let a 16 year old ride a R6.... Good choice though...

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
aloha, sounds like you are motivated to get the r6. here is a tip, take the MSF course. i hope you have ridden a sport bike before. the r6 is kinda wild for first timers.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As said, check out the MSF courses in your area FIRST and foremost (while being able to afford some decent gear) ... then worry about a bike.

My buddy made the mistake in buying an R6 before he checked out his insurance for it... whoop, $10,000+ Canadian a year for a first-timer... He's pretty much limited to third-party insurance companies who barely wanna touch a 19 year old beginners rider on a 600 cc sportbike.

Don't make the same mistake! .... get a feel for the sport.... maybe try a Ninja 250, and beat the shit outta that for a while if you have to progressively work your way up the insurance companies good list. Not everyone is as lucky to be able to insure an R6 through statefarm or (insert cheap insurance company here).....

Good luck

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Drooder said:
Don't make the same mistake! .... get a feel for the sport.... maybe try a Ninja 250, and beat the shit outta that for a while if you have to progressively work your way up the insurance companies good list. Not everyone is as lucky to be able to insure an R6 through statefarm or (insert cheap insurance company here).....

Good luck
I agree with that statement.. If the Ninja is not up you alley, there is the Buell Blast too..

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
drhodes said:
welcome to the forum....

Sorry to say it, but I wouldn't let a 16 year old ride a R6.... Good choice though...
I don't think age has nearly as much to do with as your maturity level. I had never ridden a street bike before. Took the MSF course bought an '04 R6 two days later.

It's all about self control. If you can't control yourself you don't even belong on a 250 Ninja. And insurance at 16 your going to have a tough time finding someone who will even cover much less for an affordable price. I'm 22 with no tickets or accidents and really good credit and through State Farm liability and comp is still ~460 a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts