Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got my R6 racebike mid-season 2013. It was mostly stock, aside from Scott's damper. I didn't change much as I was getting my feet wet in racing again after a 10 year hiatus. Needless to say, the bug has bitten me hard and I've got a ton of new parts to install and $hit-tons of cash invested.

Now, 7 weeks before the new season begins, I'm beginning my build.

My question is:
How do I get that kickstand hunk of metal off the bike and re-mount the shift bracket? (GP Shift)
I've heard it's a pain in the ass.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Flip link like Mac said. You may need to put some washers behind the fairing bolt so it doesn't hit up against the shift rod. That's what I did. Vortex v3 uses oem shift rod

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Yes. Therein lies the problem. I'm curious what others have done.
I think most people just leave it? I mean, I suppose you could fab up some bracket for the shift lever only that was a lot more trim and sightly than the metal kickstand hunk, but seems like a lot of trouble for not much reward to me.

I still have mine on there and there isn't even anything attached to it. :dunce:

edit: well, that's not true. The kickstand switch is still attached to it and plugged in to the harness under the seat.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
You looking to GP shift with stock rearsets? Don't you just have to flip the shift linkage?
Flip link like Mac said. You may need to put some washers behind the fairing bolt so it doesn't hit up against the shift rod. That's what I did. Vortex v3 uses oem shift rod
He's not looking for advice on how to change it to GP shift, fools. Read the OP again.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Not sure how kickstand removal got to converting to GP shift...

OP You can cut it down or leave it. The amount of weight savings is negligible for a new racer.

TL;DR: don't worry about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure how kickstand removal got to converting to GP shift...

OP You can cut it down or leave it. The amount of weight savings is negligible for a new racer.

TL;DR: don't worry about it.
I suppose I'll simply leave the hunk of metal. I'm not quick enough for it to make a difference anyway.

Sorry to have stirred up any controversy.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once you upgrade to a set of Woodcraft rear sets, you can remove the kickstand bracket, because the shift lever is connected to the rear set bracket itself instead of the stock location.
Yes. Exactly! I already have the Woodcraft rearsets that I installed, last year. I just never added the shifter.

So, I had the answer all along.

Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts