Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Eat my R6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 R6S in February of 2007 brand new. From then till today, I've managed to put slightly over 8,000 miles on it. I live 20 miles from work and school and then 30 miles from my g/f's house. Sometimes when I ride from school to her place, I can put 100+ miles on it in one day. At the rate I'm going and the way gas prices are jacking, I know I will definitely be riding it alot more this summer. Does anyone know what the life expectancy of the motorcycle and the engine life would be if I don't crash it first? The bike has been babied since I've had it. Oil changed the first 600 miles and every 2,500 miles. Will change air filter, coolant, and plugs at 10,000 miles and have the chain and brake pads checked and whatever maintenance it may need at the time. I would say 80% of the mileage is highway at speeds from 60-80 at anywhere b/w 5,000 and 7,000 rpm. It's never hit rev limiter and I don't drive it too crazy. It's also completely stock. I don't plan on modifying it mechanically, maybe a slip-on and some apparel eventually. Anybody have any ideas on how long this is gonna last me or any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
my 03 r6 had 36,000 on it when i got rid of it i believe... she was still runnin strong too, after the guy who had it before me crashed it like 3 times, and i rode it pretty damn hard too...

·
I miss the 600cc fun.
219 Posts
i've hit the limiter a few times but never did again I feel retarded lol, everytime when I do hit the limiter my guts get pushed back and I get like a speed adrenaline high where I giggle to myself inside the helmet with tears "like oh shit lmao" hahahah

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
The motor will last a looooong time if you take care of it and service the bike regularly. There are people around here and on R1 forum that have like 50xxx-80xxx miles and claim the bikes are still running like brand new. I think there is a saying that the engine will always outlive the bike.

·
Faster than you!
782 Posts
My dad put over 70,000 on his old early 90's model ninja and close to 70,000 on his 01 R6...never had any problems. Just normal service....If you dont abuse it and keep up the service I imagine it can run over 100,000 miles....and if it wears out you can always rebuild it. Whats a couple thousand bucks compared to 8 grand for a new one?

Reactions: Omnislug

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Well motorwise if you're changing your oil at regular intervals it should last at least 60k++ no worries there. I will point out one thing regarding Yamaha motors.. Yamaha valve service intervals are at 26k whereas the other jap bikes are at 16K. Who's got the tighter motor? Yamaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts