Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an r6 race bike, with lot's of engine mods and no radiator fan(don't need one going 100 mph average around a track). I have converted to use on the street with a headlight, and will be doing some around town driving. Just wondering what temps you guys see with your street bikes. Trying to see where I should be running.

So how many degrees F?

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
You question is kind of vague, there are a lot of factors that have to do with your operation temp. Speed would be a big one along with outside air temp. Do you think you are overheating? Why don't you give us an example of your bike temperature and the environment it was in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My bike will get up to around 203-205 sitting @ a light (long in vegas) w/ the outside temp being 45-50.. It will quickly drop to around 165-175, depending upon how fast I go.. In 80+ degree weather, it easily gets to 215 @ lights and runs around 180-90..

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
iamcyclopseatme said:
My bike will get up to around 203-205 sitting @ a light (long in vegas) w/ the outside temp being 45-50.. It will quickly drop to around 165-175, depending upon how fast I go.. In 80+ degree weather, it easily gets to 215 @ lights and runs around 180-90..
My bike runs just about the same 90+ will bring me to like 218 at lights, even in 50 degree temp will still hit 212. My riding temp is almost exactly the same.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
iamcyclopseatme said:
that's what I have noticed on my 2004 also.. My riding temps were usully lower since it really wasn't a 80+ summer up here.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I'm racing around hitting back roads, it usually sits right at 173, street riding and hitting stoplights and such, it can easily hit and stay around 200. In hot weather and bad conditions, My fan will come on around 217, I wouldn't seriously worry about anything below 225, but just be cautious.

I probably would not shut off my motor though. I tried that and it just keeps in creasing, and the fan won't turn on. But if I rev it a little and hold it there, it usually starts to drop, just some FYIs

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was riding my stock '04 R6 last night and the temp outside was like right at 40°, maybe a little less and my bike temp when stopped was between 212°-215° and when driving it was between 185°-198°. It could have been less or more on the driving temp, I don't look at it that much when I am driving, but the few times that I did it was in that range.

·
Registered
67 Posts
[quote='01R6]When I'm racing around hitting back roads, it usually sits right at 173, street riding and hitting stoplights and such, it can easily hit and stay around 200. In hot weather and bad conditions, My fan will come on around 217, I wouldn't seriously worry about anything below 225, but just be cautious.

I probably would not shut off my motor though. I tried that and it just keeps in creasing, and the fan won't turn on. But if I rev it a little and hold it there, it usually starts to drop, just some FYIs[/quote]

Your motor temp is going to go up regardless, always, even if you turn off the engine, but keep the ignition on w/ the fan running.. Theres no coolant flowing to cool it.. Even if you shut your bike off @ 165 degrees, itll still heat up above 220..

·
Registered
302 Posts
iamcyclopseatme said:
[quote='01R6]When I'm racing around hitting back roads, it usually sits right at 173, street riding and hitting stoplights and such, it can easily hit and stay around 200. In hot weather and bad conditions, My fan will come on around 217, I wouldn't seriously worry about anything below 225, but just be cautious.

I probably would not shut off my motor though. I tried that and it just keeps in creasing, and the fan won't turn on. But if I rev it a little and hold it there, it usually starts to drop, just some FYIs
Your motor temp is going to go up regardless, always, even if you turn off the engine, but keep the ignition on w/ the fan running.. Theres no coolant flowing to cool it.. Even if you shut your bike off @ 165 degrees, itll still heat up above 220..[/quote]

Well yeah, maybe. But it wasn't like a hardcore fact or nothing, and I'd rather start at 160 and go to 220, then 220-whereever. And I was talking about at a light, my buddy used to panic when the temp rose, and he'd shut it off.......I do understand your point, not trying to make myself right or correct you

·
Motosylum Racing #132
911 Posts
I have an r6 race bike, with lot's of engine mods and no radiator fan(don't need one going 100 mph average around a track). I have converted to use on the street with a headlight, and will be doing some around town driving. Just wondering what temps you guys see with your street bikes. Trying to see where I should be running.
So how many degrees F?
Mine is a different year, but totally depends on ambient temperature. Middle of the summer at 95*f I'll see 200 mid race on pump gas. Race fuel bumps that up another 10*f

1 - 14 of 14 Posts