Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I've been without a bike for a couple years now trying to get a few things in order. Still not exactly where I would like to be financially but am better off than I was and am going through withdraws so it's time for me to get another bike. I have narrowed it down to either an 06+ r6 or an 08+ 1000rr but need a little help from here. I had an 07 r6 for 3 years and really liked it a lot, better than any other 600 I have ridden but all I do is street riding with the occasional trip to the mountains for a long weekend of twisties. I absolutely love the way the newer 1000rr look and was hoping to get some input whether you guys/ girls think the Honda would be a good fit for me or to stick with what I know?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
1000rr is a waste. Buy a 6 and ride the piss out of it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol I know my response is going to be a little bias but I was hoping there are a few on here that have ridden/owned one of the newer 1000rr and could chime in with there opinion. I've ridden all the main 4 600 ' s but in my group of friends we've all just always stuck with smaller bikes so I've never got the chance to ride a liter bike.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Lol I know my response is going to be a little bias but I was hoping there are a few on here that have ridden/owned one of the newer 1000rr and could chime in with there opinion. I've ridden all the main 4 600 ' s but in my group of friends we've all just always stuck with smaller bikes so I've never got the chance to ride a liter bike.
Someone's going to be the trend setter on the big bikes.:flex:

·
My zx6r eats tires.
553 Posts
If your into big bikes go for it. Personally I've become completely comfortable with the amount of power an r6 has and I'm happy. More than enough for the street... your call.

Be careful when buying an '08 1000rr, if they aren't broken in using a "hard break-in" procedure, the rings don't wear in properly and they burn oil like crazy.

Edit: I think this goes for 09's as well

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not that worried about power. I'm not a street or track racer just enjoy a spirited ride from time to time but mostly just A to B riding. And thanks for the heads up. Any bikes in my price range or going to be considered higher mileage so hopefully any issues like that will be worked out. I more than anything like the looks of the 2 better than any others and was kind of wondering about rider comfort on the r6 as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I can go sit on any bike but it's hard to know how your going to feel after a 300 mile day from a test fit...

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Buy the liter bike. Enjoy it for a while and if you don't like it trade it for a 6.

·
My zx6r eats tires.
553 Posts
I'm not that worried about power. I'm not a street or track racer just enjoy a spirited ride from time to time but mostly just A to B riding. And thanks for the heads up. Any bikes in my price range or going to be considered higher mileage so hopefully any issues like that will be worked out. I more than anything like the looks of the 2 better than any others and was kind of wondering about rider comfort on the r6 as well.
Well obviously the honda is going to be more comfortable. You can get a 1000rr for under $7k with around 5k miles.. in my area at least.

·
My zx6r eats tires.
553 Posts
Buy the liter bike. Enjoy it for a while and if you don't like it trade it for a 6.
Way off topic, but you don't list your gearing in the sig. What are you running on that stunt bike? I've always been curious... :confused:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
i love my r6, but I've had my eye on a newer kawi 1000. either way, you're getting your sport bike fix. try something new and go with the honda. if you don't like, just sell it and go with the r6.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The 1000RR is a great liter bike. Feels like sitting on a 600, weight and size-wise but with all the torque and monster power of a liter bike.

All that power is totally impractical for the street, but it can be kind of nice to be able to still accelerate when you're going 40mph in 6th gear. On the downside, if you want to run through the gears, by the time you redline 1st you're in "arrest me and go straight to jail" territory.

The Honda is probably more comfortable than a 3rd gen R6. They're both sport bikes though (ie, terrible for touring, commuting in the grand scheme of motorcycles)

They're both fun in different ways. Get that one that speaks to you.

·
My zx6r eats tires.
553 Posts
The 1000RR is a great liter bike. Feels like sitting on a 600, weight and size-wise but with all the torque and monster power of a liter bike.

All that power is totally impractical for the street, but it can be kind of nice to be able to still accelerate when you're going 40mph in 6th gear. On the downside, if you want to run through the gears, by the time you redline 1st you're in "arrest me and go straight to jail" territory.

The Honda is probably more comfortable than a 3rd gen R6. They're both sport bikes though (ie, terrible for touring, commuting in the grand scheme of motorcycles)

They're both fun in different ways. Get that one that speaks to you.
In all seriousness, I'd say OP just get an r6, have fun on it for a few years, save up, get a liter bike and track the r6.. That's my plan as I also can't afford to track my bike.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts