Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this may be a little biased since I'm in the R6 forums but I was hoping more experienced riders can help shed some light on this topic for me.

So I plan on buying a motorcycle and stuck deciding between a 2005 R6 with 8xxx miles, all stock for $4k.

and

2004 Honda F4i with 15xxx miles for $2.8k. Pretty much stock as well.

I plan on using the bike as a commuter and do not intend on going to the tracks at all.

Is the R6 way better than the f4i to the point of spending 1.2k extra for?

·
Registered
25 Posts
For your purposes I would go with the F4i. I was between the F4i and the R6S and ended up getting a good deal with the R6S, so here I am.

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
It all depends. Is this your first bike? The F4i is a old school bike that is still fun, but is a little short in the tooth (performance wise). The R6s is still a head turner to this day, with plenty of aftermarket support. The F4i is like my 98 Tl1000r. Lots of fun, just hardly any aftermarket stuff left. Unless you want parts from China. No dis on the country, I just don't trust parts that haven't been safety tested, or have a lot of reviews. Also, try to consider resale. I think ( not 100% sure ) a R6s might sell faster then a F4i just due to age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea this will be my first bike which is why I'm buying used =).

I won't be reselling this bike, it'll pretty much be my bike for the next 5+ years, which is why I wanted to settle between these two.

There's also an 06 R6 with 16k miles thats been dropped 2 times that I'm looking at. $3.9k. I'm leaning more towards this one, since it's the newer model, looks nicer and has the color scheme I want.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
for me it would come down to looks….theyre both great bikes choose which one you like the most and feel most comfortable on

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Ya I second that. I had an 02 R6 and loved it and my buddy has an F4i right now and he loves it. Comparing those two I think its just personal preference and that point; which feels better while riding etc. Good Luck

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
One member on here(thirdgenlxi) has 275k miles on his f4i. I hope to get 100k out of my r6, but I abuse the shit out of it. It currently has about 40k on it and still runs like a champ.

Either bike should last a long time, so long as you take care of it.

If you don't plan on taking it to the track, i would jump on the f4i. Even if you did decide to take it to to the track, the f4i is still a pretty good bike. For the 1000+ you are saving, you could buy some good gear and still have some left over.

·
Hello
527 Posts
You have indicated the bike is for commuter use only...The Honda has a lower cost...that being said it should be an easy decision. Also the F4i with its higher clip-ons and lower seat is going to be a more comfortable riding position.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
for what you are looking for, do NOT buy the 06 r6 (non S model). THe 05 r6 has OVER 10 hp in the midrange over the 06-07 r6, and won't have the TI valves to worry about over the long run.. so FEWER valve adjustments, with less wear on the EXPENSIVE valves (Ti valves are very expensive if you had to replace them). Steel valves of the 03-05/s model will last much longer..

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you're going to be keeping it for a long time you'll be happier with either r6 in the long run. It might be a commuter now but you'll meet people with bikes and go on group rides. Then you'll look at the other bikes style/performance and say you wish you bought either r6 over the f4i

1 - 11 of 11 Posts