Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna sell my 02 R6 for either a 08 R6 or R1 so I was Wondering if any of you had any input on which one to get. Let me know. Any info from real riders would be great. I am in the AF and this bike will be going to Italy to shred up their roads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
have you used the 600 to its full potential? Most likely not. How long have you been riding?

Im 22 and I have a cbr600rr right now and dont plan on getting a 1000 till Im atleast 25 to ensure lower insurance and more experience.

Are you tired of the 600? If not, get the r6. I heard its improved. Also, my uncle had an r1 (05 or 06 one of those) and sold it and got the 08 r6. He said he enjoys the r6 way more and makes full use of its high redline. You just need to know how to ride 600s properly and a lot of people dont and thats why they get 1000s.

·
Resident JMU Wizard
1,218 Posts
No way to really answer that question. Get what you want. Both are great bikes.

·
Wait'll the cast's off!!!
298 Posts
have you used the 600 to its full potential? Most likely not. How long have you been riding?
Im 22 and I have a cbr600rr right now and dont plan on getting a 1000 till Im atleast 25 to ensure lower insurance and more experience.
Are you tired of the 600? If not, get the r6. I heard its improved. Also, my uncle had an r1 (05 or 06 one of those) and sold it and got the 08 r6. He said he enjoys the r6 way more and makes full use of its high redline. You just need to know how to ride 600s properly and a lot of people dont and thats why they get 1000s.
:fact
There be some truth in those first 2 sentences.
The beauty of riding a 600 is that, with proper experience/skill, 99% of the time you can RAPE literbikes on the street, because they (liter riders) are straight-line wonders but freeze up when it comes to corners...
Personally, i LOVE it when people on literbikes ask me why I don't step up to an R1 yet...All I have to do is point at my tires, and then at theirs...
"Is there a reason for the flat spot in the middle of your rear, or do you just happen to commute on the freeway a lot?" :poke

Obviously, this doesn't apply to full-blown "racers," but even then it's slim odds bc my experience has been that REAL racers don't push it on the street...they save it for Sunday.
So the next time you come up on a 1k in the twisties, show him what a lowly little 600 is really good for :YEA

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Personally, i LOVE it when people on literbikes ask me why I don't step up to an R1 yet...All I have to do is point at my tires, and then at theirs...
Exactly right. Everyone thinks having a literbike automatically makes them badass. I would rather be that kid at the track that whips everyone's ass on the 125 than be just another guy riding a 1000 sporting chicken strips.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Fck 1000's

a real bike is a 600...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Although I am not a very expericened rider, I had the oppurtunity to get a new 07 R1 for the same price as my 08 R6 and after sitting on both and realizing that I dont need the power of the R1 I went with the R6 and couldnt be happier. The R1 just fealt reall bulky, I could be wrong once you get to riding though.

·
Yamaha Man
178 Posts
I would wait until the 09's come out to make your decision. There will be a new R1 out(atleast I pray there will) and probably a new piece or 2 on the 09 R6.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
You'll be better off on the R6 in Italy anyway. Don't know if you'll be north, central or south, but if you're north of Napoli the highways are large with lots of straights, north of tuscany and in the north west there are more twisties. Other than that, I see no use for a litre bike in Italy. The twisties in the tuscany, imperia, milan area are almost made for a 250-600 breed. If you're in the south - besides slightly lesser quality pavement, twisties there are even better though a little more chancy due to narrower roads.

Then their are the cities with the narrow streets and alleys - I've done it on a litre when I lived in Florence, it's just a pain in the ass with such a sensitive throttle and only milliseconds to correct any mistakes. Italians have little respect for bikers who can't manage their machines.

Unless you're top quality rider with grande cajones and no fear for god or life, you'll want an R6.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
get the R6, it sounds like from what varnaR6 is saying it would be suited to your part of the world. plus its cheaper. You could use that extra money you would have spent on the R1 and put some great mods on it:fact

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Yah I will be in the North West in Livorno. I love both bikes just wanted to see what you guys thought. Been riding for 2 years, and no it's not that i have grown tired of the 600 it's just that it's only $1200 difference so i was just thinking about going for the R1. Thanks alot.

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
i think it all depends on your riding style and location. Like stated before, if you live where there are twisties, then def the 6. If your in a place like TX where its long straights and highways, then maybe the 1 is better. Whatever way you go, you'll be happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i think it all depends on your riding style and location. Like stated before, if you live where there are twisties, then def the 6. If your in a place like TX where its long straights and highways, then maybe the 1 is better. Whatever way you go, you'll be happy with your purchase.
600s are fun in the straights too...

·
Registered
46 Posts
why not get the Triumph Daytona 675.? A little bigger than the r6 but smaller than r1..thats what i would get if i were to get another 600

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
600s are fun in the straights too...
for sure, mine rips w/ the setup i have. But i'm talking about the torque and sheer power that a 1000 can provide. If you haven't rode a 1000 yet, i recommend you do so, a very humbling experience.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yea I get what you're saying. I have ridden a 1000rr and yes the power is definitely there but theres no need to shift...wheres the fun in that? You can ride around town in 1st gear.

600s are super fun in the straight when you keep it in 2nd and just rip it. I dont care for a 1000 at the moment...I cant explain it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts