Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what the difference is (if there is one) between the R6 model and the R6S model. From what I have found online so far the "S" was simply an addition during a new year production cycle. I hadn't even realize mine was an "S" until I saw what the VIN pulled up with my insurance company.

I found someone mention there was an actual difference in the design of the bike... which I would assume is expected when you jump from 06 to 08 and add the "S".

No idea.. thoughts?

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
When they introduced the 3rd generation R6 in 2006, they continued to produce the 2nd generation bike, and sold it as the R6S. It's identical to the 2004 R6, which if you look at the full model code, was the YZF-R6(S). They increment the last letter anytime there's small changes to the model, which happens almost every year, and is why people sometimes refer to the 3rd R6 as the R6V, because they were up to 'v' when it was introduced.

Other people refer to the 3rd gen as the 'R6R', because it's 'racier', but that is stupid, because the 2003 model was the YZF-R6(R).

:cheers

Hope that explains everything!

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh..

I had no idea there were other letters for the years. I had purchased my battery and after going to AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts and O'Rileys I had finally found the one I needed. All of these places only had two "R6"s in their systems though. They had the R6 and the R6S and prior to today I didn't realize I had an "S".

I wonder if the battery is different..

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
The batteries are different in size.

·
Hey...watch this
560 Posts
A lot of things are different. Most notably the S has regular forks, the non-S are inverted. Then there's the clutch. Just always keep in mind when you buy parts to specify S, or look up parts for a 2005 model. Not much is interchangeable.

·
Pobrecitos
19,888 Posts
A lot of things are different. Most notably the S has regular forks, the non-S are inverted. Then there's the clutch. Just always keep in mind when you buy parts to specify S, or look up parts for a 2005 model. Not much is interchangeable.
Actually, looking up part off an 04 is better; suspension part and a few other items are not interchangeable from the 05.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what does your bike look like?
I'll take a few pictures later today, right now I only have one and it isn't pretty.

The batteries are different in size.
Yeah I was able to pick up one that was identical to the recommended size/model from O'Rileys. I believe it was ETZ10S.. not even close to what was in it, couldn't even find anything online about the battery being used in Yamaha products.

So if the 08 R6S is continued production of 2nd generation (2004?) and the regular R6 is actually the 3rd generation.. are the R6S models undesired or are they too different side by side the older generations? I have found some additional differences online about the bikes but I'm having a hard time figuring out if the differences are common in production of the bikes as the years went by or if there was just a different thought process with the R6S that made it less of an R6 than the older non S models.

Aside from notes on the differences in forks, etc I have also read people discuss the difference in the riding position on the R6S. My thought was well yeah it's going to be different than the 3rd generation but then I read about it not having the same power was the 02-04 models.

Am I starting to put this together the right way or are those other forums full of tools? :lmao

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
The R6S is completely identical to the 2004 R6.

The 2nd gen bikes are GREAT bikes. Much better street bikes than the 3rd gens due to ergos and punchier mid-range, and nearly as capable at the track as the 3rd gens.

The styling looks kind of dated compared to the newer bikes a this point, and it doesn't quite have the top-end horsepower, but don't be fooled, they can definitely rip.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The R6S is completely identical to the 2004 R6.

The 2nd gen bikes are GREAT bikes. Much better street bikes than the 3rd gens due to ergos and punchier mid-range, and nearly as capable at the track as the 3rd gens.

The styling looks kind of dated compared to the newer bikes a this point, and it doesn't quite have the top-end horsepower, but don't be fooled, they can definitely rip.
Yeah I agree. I'm loving my R6 and can't wait to go riding after work. The newer ones sure do look prettier with the updates but I like to view them all as equals. :) and I'm not partial to the super aggressive ergos either, so I think this was a decent pick.

The other thing I was curious about is the price difference. The books that recommend retail and resale values seem to suggest this at a lower price. What gives?

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
Yeah I agree. I'm loving my R6 and can't wait to go riding after work. The newer ones sure do look prettier with the updates but I like to view them all as equals. :) and I'm not partial to the super aggressive ergos either, so I think this was a decent pick.

The other thing I was curious about is the price difference. The books that recommend retail and resale values seem to suggest this at a lower price. What gives?
They cost less when they were new. The 3rd gens have a decent amount of newer, more expensive tech on them.

·
iRun
33,226 Posts
Between you and an iMax theater?
We're both smaller in person, overly expensive and although the seat may rock a bit, people tend to leave slightly disappointed.

·
Sherwin Antagonist
1,465 Posts

·
iRun
33,226 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.