Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends, ive been having quite a lot of issues with my Yamaha r6 2004 for the past weeks...ive tried so many things but the problem persists. Now let me give u a brief:

1. bike doesnt start on autochoke anymore, have to give it throttle..then it idles.
2. the bike bogs, feels like its not getting enough fuel...but yet i think its already running rich.
3. if kept on a contants throttle between 4-6k rpm it bogs really bad.
4. it doesnt even reach the red zone..i barely reach 210km/hr feels like you really forcing the bike to reach those speeds....at about 10k rpm, its very slow climb
5. its definitely not running healthy at all.
6. popping sound on decel
7. on take off it bogs lightly as if not enough fuel coming through..but then it picks up
8. if i go full throttle, the bike hesitates and doesnt pickup any speed, i need to let a go a bit for it to pick up.

i dont know wot to do now.....

things ive done:
1. throttle body sync
2. spark plug change
3. oil change (well serviced the bike)
4. tried adjusting the pilot screws (they are set to 2 turns out atm). ive set it on the this coz thats thesetting that got me above 200kmhr
5. CO values ive tried numerous but now its C1 0 C2 0 C3 0 C4 0. (well its was bought secondhand and i dont know the default ones) Im from a tropical country Mauritius.
6. Checked for error in Diag, No errors
7. Adjusted the TPS 17 98 vlues

Upgrades:
1. K&N filter, (dont have to OEM)
2. Two Brothers Slip-On, (dont have to OEM)
3. NO power commander

everything is pointing towards a fuel/air mixture or a lack of fuel or something ...but i just cant figure it out...

Im on the edge...about to give up on this bike, or im gonna go crazy...really love the bike, but really the riding sux...its more a stress than a pleasure now...so if i cant find a solution to this im letting it go for a bicycle..:p

Please its really urgent..>HELP.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
im open to all suggestions coz im really outta ideas now...and im ready to perform everything again if u have any new ideas and checks that i could do

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Have you checked your coils? 2nd gen had a recall on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coils are fine, the bike was running ok when i first bought it...dunno when all this started and it got worst.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
did the problem occur after you put the k&n filter in (which was a waste by the way.. oem filter is great on the 2nd gen bike, and can be cleaned).. if you over-oiled the filter, this will these problems.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Popping on deceleration usually suggests running lean. A high flow air filter and high flow exhaust can cause that. What makes you think it's running rich? Have you checked the plugs? They will tell you.

Have you done valve clearances lately? How many kms on the bike and when is it due for the next one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok here s the situation now....
firstly the bike was already having some issues before changes but it just got worst with time. I dont think the upgrades were the cause, they probably just made it more obvious that theres an issue with the bike

Also filter was pre-oiled so i didnt check any of that i just placed it in, as it was from the box.

Secondly i agree that loads of popping is sign of lean, but that i tried to fix by adjusting the pilot screw and the Co values, but then again theres the bogging which sounds like a lack of fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Now today some other issue came up ...Let me fill u in ..firstly i took the coils off for checking ...below are the values obtained...

Bike is Yamaha r6 2004
coil Primary Secondary
1 1.5 10.61
2 0.4 6.09
3 0.4 6.58
4. 0.4 6.03

Can any1 please verify the values, coil 1 seems to be totally off compared to the others....im waiting for your inputs to buy coils...the problem is i dont find many on ebay for yamaha r6 2004 ...all they selling are used.

NOW THE PROBLEM:
i had to remove the radiator so that i could get access to remove the coils...i didnt remove the heat shield and so on...i took everything out from underneath....Now the issue that im getting now is that i put everything back ...and
now when i turn ignition switch on, then turn the ignition key:
1. i dont hear the pump prime/go on.
2. it displays HI temp on screen even though bike is cold
3. the bike cranks but doesnt start

I dont know what the problem is now...

I swear everything is against me ..LOL....PLEASE HELP GUYS...keep the ideas flowing ....i really need to get this bike running perfect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok bike starts now...
1. had to remove airbox and all...
2. follow wire from starter to immobilizer which is located on the left side of the chassis when seated on the bike.....its a little box in the chassis where theres a connector..
3. PUll it out
4. open the box
5. checked the wires....plugged it again ...
and VOILA,the bike starts...

look for broken wires.
Just heads up for those that have such issues.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
FROM http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/od/serviceandrepair/a/CarburetorProblems.htm

----------------------------------------
Lean Mixtures means the carburetor is delivering too much air. Typical symptoms of a lean mixture are:

- Backfires as the throttle is closed (primarily during coast-downs)
- Lurching acceleration
- White or light grey spark plugs
- Requires excessive amounts of choke to run/start
- White or light grey muffler end pipes
- Bluing (on chrome systems) of the exhaust header down-pipes
----------------------------------------

Sounds like what you're describing, so I have to ask again: are you sure it's not running lean? Have you checked the plugs?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Also, the air mixture screw only affects the very bottom of the throttle range. It'll affect the idle (to a certain extent) but even then it's meant for fine tuning. If you're jets aren't right it won't do enough to fix your problem, even at idle.

Again high flow air filter and exhaust will push the bike towards lean. If it has never been rejetted to make it more rich, it's gonna be running lean.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Also I should mention there is an "easy" way to test.

You can cover a portion of your air filter with something, like some duct tape. The theory is it will restrict the air entering the system and push your mixture richer.

If the bike runs better, it's because it's was lean to start and the tape is moving it toward a more optimal ratio.

If the bike runs worse, it's because it was rich (or optimal) and the tape is pushing it farther rich than it was to start.

http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_rejetting_101_how_to_rejet.htm

·
Just lean harder...
887 Posts
Replace that 1 coil, its way out of spec and most likely your problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Spray, point taken ..ill run those test as soon as i replace the coil 1 as phrozen mentioned...

Tell me one thing what other bikes coils would fit in mine??? would running a coil with a higher resistance cause any harm???? ive got four from a friend for testing ....but the primary are like 1.5 and secondary are like 11

Thank guys will keep u guys posted... keep the ideas coming

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
thanks Spray, point taken ..ill run those test as soon as i replace the coil 1 as phrozen mentioned...

Tell me one thing what other bikes coils would fit in mine??? would running a coil with a higher resistance cause any harm???? ive got four from a friend for testing ....but the primary are like 1.5 and secondary are like 11

Thank guys will keep u guys posted... keep the ideas coming
I don't know much of anything about coils, but yeah that one looks way different than the others. I would replace it before doing anything else.

I'm curious to hear if that fixes it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guyz, thank you for your inputs....yeah im about to order some coils from ebay....and also while im at it since the bike isnt going anywhere...im getting the whole bike rewired also ...!! :)

Ill keep you guy posted... Again keep the ideas flowing and thank you for your inputs
Respect

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
The bf screws adjusts them so they're all at the same open/closed positions. Many guys think this is how the synch is done but they're wrong.

Open the throttle all the way and adjust them so they're all the same open position.

Btw your 2004 is fuel injected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
blue, buti believe if i adjust these screw, it will change the position of the opening .....so how will i know wht is the default positions...so that i can adjust them at that position with the same opening.

R6 2004 are semi ... carb and injected

1 - 20 of 28 Posts