Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First...want to say hello. Just got an 03 R6 race bike and there are some mods, etc that have been done with this bike that I am going to need to post questions about because I am completely confused on some of them.

The first being the throttle tube. The previous owner had said that a 1/5 turn throttle had been installed. I wanted to switch back to stock and when I removed the throttle tube I noticed it was crack and unusable. When I put the stock tube on, everything fit up perfectly until I turned the throttle in the opposite direction. I put a little pressure on it to go past the stop and it slipped past this point and I was able to turn it in the wrong direction. After comparing the two tubes, the old one is about 45mm wide whereas the stocker is 41.5 mm. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if they know what bike the white tube is off of (is this a normal mod to make on the R6 - didnt see anything in search) or was the throttle housing swapped for something else, etc?

Here is a pic I took:

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I'm slow and I'm confused here. Can you explain that in stupid terms for me?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm slow and I'm confused here. Can you explain that in stupid terms for me?
I removed the throttle tube on the right and replaced it with the black one on the left (stock size). The problem with the stock size is that I am able to turn it past the throttle stop with a little pressure.

So I am trying to find out if anyone has a solution or would at the least know what bike the tube on the right is off of.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Hard to say because the F4i throttle tube looks just like that too, so do the 1000RR/600RR, and the newer R6. probably other bikes too.

How is it turning past the throttle stop if your cable is adjusted correctly, the two cables oppose each other and if the slack is correct it should only go so far both ways. Uh uh I've just never seen that happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to say because the F4i throttle tube looks just like that too, so do the 1000RR/600RR, and the newer R6. probably other bikes too.

How is it turning past the throttle stop if your cable is adjusted correctly, the two cables oppose each other and if the slack is correct it should only go so far both ways. Uh uh I've just never seen that happen.
Per most of the guys I have spoken to regarding race bikes, the return/push cable in many cases is removed for a variety of reasons some of which being the types of shifters, etc on the bike. In my case, I dont have a return cable, so nothing to prevent the throttle from going in the opposite direction.

At this point it might be easier to simply go on ebay and purchase the stock R6 throttle housing and replace the whole thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts