Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother owns a 2006 FZ6. I ride a 2003 R6. Both bikes are completely stock. We are considering a cross country trip from Orlando FL to Denver CO. I am sure he will be just fine on his bike but I wonder how much of a good idea it is to tour on an R6.

Has anyone done any long trips on an R6? What would you recommend to make the trip more comfortable? Is it possible to rig up a larger windscreen temporarily? Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

·
GSXR Eater
754 Posts
ok so... i took a trip from oklahoma to vegas. not nearly as far as ur trip. but, it wasnt to bad other than the pain in my wrist for a week. and my ass feeling like it was vibrating when i got off the bike. but man... i pray for u. that shit sucked balls. i would reccoment getting one of them snap on cruiz control thingys... and umm a compfy seat. i got 2 tickets on the way too so i reccomend doing the speed limit. are you taking 20 the whole way or? cuz thats the way i took.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
gel seat, ear plugs, and wrist guards/braces. gooood luck...

edit: a pair of padded cycling shorts wouldn't hurt, either.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I did VA to FL once. I recommend getting as much comforting things as possible (throttle lock, or cramp buster) removable gel seats, wrist braces aren't necessarily needed if you have a throttle lock or cramp buster but they WOULD help. I had a tail bag, tank bag, and back pack on me. The backpack had my laptop and all my peripherals, i wouldn't put anything heavier in there because it WILL weigh down on you. Get some earplugs or some earplug type headphones to let you listen to music AND block sound, because I had my music up so loud on my trip I was literally deaf after 13 1/2 hours after I got home. Just do EVERYTHING you can to be comfortable.:fact

·
It's a lifestyle
155 Posts
Corbin seat, thick/gel grips, throttle lock, camel back, and some headphones.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did 10 hours to Daytona and it was not that bad. My throttle hand was killing me but motrin took care of that.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
defenatly spend the $20 and get a throttle lock, they arent perfect, but they help soooo much

·
The guy your mother loves
1,930 Posts
I want to get a handlebar kit like the ones shown above. But way over priced.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
I've ridden Iowa to North Carolina twice on mine. My longest day has been 550 miles. As mentioned the throttle lock. I would not wear a backpack, that will get you sore really quick, use a tankbag and a tailpack. Drink lots of water, enjoy the scenery.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
This thread is a year old, and he only had two posts so I'm assuming he never made it back...:sing

·
The guy your mother loves
1,930 Posts
yea, I figured as much. But I was looking for someone that might have some more experience with the handle bar risers and a street fighter bar. I rode to South Haven Michigan from Wilmington De. (like 700 miles one way) and the only part that bothered me was the lean angle. My legs and ass were ok. (ohh yea and a pinched nerve in my neck) anyone got info on some aftermarket bar set up? I dont really like taller clip ons.

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
the only part that bothered me was the lean angle. My legs and ass were ok. (ohh yea and a pinched nerve in my neck)
I do 500 miles one way home and another 500 back to school with atleast 200 around town at home every 4 months or so. My legs, more so my thighs and lower to middle back is what hurts me.

Pinched nerve? I'd say to see a chiropractor. I used to be skeptical about them but after having them open up the blood flow in my bones again I feel awesome! Its definitely worth checking out. :toocool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts