Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Track addict
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.... a couple of quick questions about installing a transmission on my 2000
R6. I am trying to fix my 2nd gear slip problem, and purchasing a tranny off an '05. Didn't see it on the parts lists for the install (in one of the "how to's on R6 Live), but somewhere I was told to get new main crank bolts and a new locking nut for the clutch... Do I actually need these? Or is that just applicable for a different bike?

Lauren

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Ok.... a couple of quick questions about installing a transmission on my 2000
R6. I am trying to fix my 2nd gear slip problem, and purchasing a tranny off an '05. Didn't see it on the parts lists for the install (in one of the "how to's on R6 Live), but somewhere I was told to get new main crank bolts and a new locking nut for the clutch... Do I actually need these? Or is that just applicable for a different bike?

Lauren
I feel like someone probably just suggested that cause you have to split the motor to do the job. I don't see the need for all that. I'm sure someone who has done the swap will chime in

·
Track addict
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep.... I think I have it figured out. Thank you!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I would swap the main bolts because bolts do stretch when put in high stress environments, but I would reuse the clutch nut if it's not damaged. I think it's got a lock washer anyways, right?

·
RESPECT
29,160 Posts
Unless you have to remove the bolts I wouldn't replace them. If you have to remove the bolts at minimum I would at least replace the washers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts