Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super MOD
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i wrecked my bike and the tail exploded and couldnt find the lock. i looked on ebay and the forums cant find any for sale. can you order one from a yamaha dealer and match the lock with ur key or do they have other keys they can cut for the lock?

thanks

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
When you bought your bike it should have come with a little tag on the keys, and it had a 5 or 6 digit code written on it. Take that code to yamaha and ask them to order the lock for it. If you don't have that tag anymore, they should be able to look up your key code if you give them your VIN. IF they say they can't do that, ask to buy a blank lock or any lockset and a good locksmith should be able to rekey the lock to match your key. If all that fails, just buy one and get used to carrying two keys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI the key locks on the tail are universal. My 05 R6 keys fits in my buddies 03 R6 tail key lock. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or what, but we could unlock each others tail section. So I never leave anything in there.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
^^ yea smart guy. i bet you're the kind of guy that wipes your butt with your hand because you figure you can wash your hands with water and not have to waste the money on toilet paper. :poke

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
i was talkin to the dude in the bear suit numbnuts

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
when i bought my bike i didnt have a lock on the backend. all you have to do is stick your finger in it and pull the latch up. this unlocks the rear seat and you can take it off. reverse directions for putting it back on. NO PROBLEM!!!! i dont keep anything back there so i've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
or perhaps a solo tail fabbed to fit the brake light.

Then you don't have to worry about chubsters asking for a ride

1 - 13 of 13 Posts