Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Yamaha R6 with a T-Tuned mid-pipe, Gytr Slip-on and pc-111 with a downloaded map to fit my circumstances which was all installed long before I had this problem.
The problem first occured while I was riding my bike at high revs and high speed, most likely in 2nd or 3rd gear. When I was pulling the clutch to downshift the bike just lost power and died but I made it into the next gear. The bike didn't make any noise at this time.
The bike would not start after that, it seemed to have a dead battery and every time I would click the starter button the instrument panel would flicker and shut off.
I got lift to a friends and we charged the battery and when I went to start it and it started making wierd rattling/knocking noises irregular idle and would stall as you can see in this video.
So far I have put a new battery in which made it idle a little better but it still stalls.. everything I have tried so far have been with cold-starts because I have been too scared it might cause problems to let it run long enough to warm up. Just recently I have also noticed an oil leak behind the headers which I don't think was there after the incident but maybe from running it in it's condition..
Any insight on what my problem can be would be awesome thank you!

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts
Sounds like a camed V8. You definitely should not have oil in you headed on a 4 stroke motor or you have bigger problems. Maybe it's raw fuel from a bad coil like mentioned above?

"It just doesn't matter"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts.. I was at the conclusion that the timing slipped or something terrible with the engine happened but after reviewing some vids of coil problems and looking over the bike I think this is the problem. Taking out the coils now and testing them.. will keep you posted... thanks again for your insight!

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts
Thanks for the posts.. I was at the conclusion that the timing slipped or something terrible with the engine happened but after reviewing some vids of coil problems and looking over the bike I think this is the problem. Taking out the coils now and testing them.. will keep you posted... thanks again for your insight!
Let us know what you find, and good luck.

"It just doesn't matter"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*UPDATE*
I checked the coils and they were all in spec. I also checked the plugs and a couple of them seemed fouled and/or oily and I changed them all.
One of the things I'm concerned about now is that I kept finding oil in strange places like the air box(not alot but any is bad right?). I checked my oil and it was saturated with fuel and when I drained it I noticed shavings possibly bearing?.
I pulled the stator cover just to see if I could see any wear or damage but the stator/flywheel looks clean besides the shavings that got stuck to the magneto which leads me to believe it is from a spun crank bearing. I was also able to get a glimpse past the flywheel and saw a possibly damaged rod.
I now plan on taking the belly pan off to get a better look because I'd rather get a full overlook of everything to make sure it is in order instead of something worse happening down the road.

Also curious is there any way I go go about taking off the flywheel without a puller? (LOL)
Thanks again for your help!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Judging by that video and since you are finding metal shavings plus the fact the 2006-2007 were spinning rod bearings left and right id say it spun a rod bearing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts