Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So I want an R1. Unfortunately, because I am under 25, my insurance company would require me to pay $8000 CDN. So, I thought I would insure an R6, and then stick an R1 motor in afterwards. This is *technically* legal where I live.

Yes, I know that the R6 is fast enough. Yes, I know that I will be imbalancing the bike by doing this. I want to do it anyway.

So: my question: how much, exactly, does as R6 motor weight? & how much does an R1 weigh? And what are the physical dimensions of each? And has anyone on this forum heard of doing this to an R6? In your opinion, is the power of an R1 too much for an R6 frame? & do you think the R6 carbs will fit or will I have to use R1 carbs?

I am thinking of doing this to a slightly older model. Say, 98-99. If there is some particular Yamaha-related problem to this project, I would also consider a 929/F4 or GSXR-1000/600 transplant.

Thanks!

-Spiderbyte

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have seen the gsx-r 600/1000 swap done. The bike was not that mutch faster than a regular 1k tho. I understand what you are doing for the insurace to. 8k for insurance is a good rapping!

For the carbs you would need to stay with the r1 set up. I don't see the R6 ones delivery the propper fuel. I am not sure ont he wieght differences in the motors, but it should not be more than 15-20 pounds I would think.

The frame should handle just fine for a straight line, but in the twisties will probably flex a good amout.

-DJ1298

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you in contact with the gsxr guy? Did he mention any particular difficulties, do you remember?...

What do you mean "in the twisties will probably flex a good amout"?? Flex?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I did not get details on the swap, just saw the swap after it was all done.

I could see the R6 frame flexing when you role on the throttle mid apex, or try some jerky throttle closings/openings. This would be exagerated more when leaned over than upright on a straight away. I would get a steering damper first off with this swap.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Some wave rotors up front and some better pads and you'll be fine. the R6 and R1 run the same rear brake, well, '03 R6's and up as well as '02 and up R1's. I believe that to be the case anyways.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You also have to check the width of the motor because it will sit between the frame members and if it is too much wider, will not work

Check engine mounting angle and mount position.

Check lower engine dimensions too, brecause in some areas on the R6, the bodywork leaves little room for anything larger.

Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of modification, fot for *000 a year\, it may be worth it.

It will never be as good or as stable as the r1 (or even the original r6)

The R1s are completely different.

Gixxers may work better because the frames might all be the same (I think they get them out of cereal boxes too, but I'm not sure)

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
jasamb said:
Gixxers may work better because the frames might all be the same (I think they get them out of cereal boxes too, but I'm not sure)
I thought it was out a Crackerjacks Box? What's the difference....crap is crap...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I doubt it'll fit & if by chance it does you could have problems down the track with a cracked frame ? If you look at the size of the frame of the R1 compared to the R6, the R1 is way beefier around the motor than the R6 to handle the extra power.

Also if you crash & the insurance company checks it out & finds you've got an R1 motor in it they'd null & void your insurance & you'd not only have to pay for everthing yourself but trying to get insurance again would be virtually impossible.

Sorry to "rain on your parade"

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hey man, what part of ontario you from..and how much are you quoted for the R6..cause i got quoted for 2974 a year :poke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am from Waterloo Region & I was quoted 2500 on the R6. There's three companies you can go with in our area - Jevco (4000), Kingsway (3000) & the one they don't tell you about. It's a special company - I think you have to be in some kind of dire circumstance, ie be refused by the other two companies, or have a really kickass insurance broker. I forget what the company is called right now. Starts with F. Felecity or something. But I was quoted 2500 from there. Absolute minimum. No collision, no theft, nothing. I don't know how many tickets you're allowed there. Jevco allows two free minors, with a 15% increase afterwards. Any major is an automatic 50% increase. Jevco increases with CCs, Kingsway has more of a flat rate. So if you have a fast sportbike like an R6 or R1 you're better off with Kingsway, but if you have a smaller bike, like my 500 Interceptor, you're better off with Jevco. I pay $1500/yr for that. No tickets, perfect record. Under 25.

·
Registered
19 Posts
dude...thats wierd....i'm 26 and i pay $2300 for my R6 to Kingsway.......and I have a clean record too.....

I don't know how these insurance companies work......its a ****en ripoff is alls i gotta say.

·
5/8/10 - NES BBQ V
3,215 Posts
hellrazor said:
dude...thats wierd....i'm 26 and i pay $2300 for my R6 to Kingsway.......and I have a clean record too.....

I don't know how these insurance companies work......its a ****en ripoff is alls i gotta say.
I'll be 26 and i only pay $800/year on my 04 R6. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
NoLegs said:
It's been two years, I wonder if he got his conversion done yet...
Whats up with all these reviving of these 2-3 year old posts??

Make new posts people! :cuss

·
Registered
322 Posts
im 22 and pay 230 a yr and don't have the best driving record :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
howwa bout buying an r6 frame swapping serial from 6 frame to r1??? Register and insure the r6 frame but u have an r1... Just comp and libility.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts