Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 R6, and likely have a simple problem that I cant seem to crack. When I first tried to start it up this season, the starter wouldn't even turn, so I naturally assumed it was the battery (about that time). I bought a new Yuasa, slipped it in and now the starter turned, but the bike still wasnt starting. So...next came new spark plugs, gapped and installed them per the service manual, also cleaned and oiled the air filter while I had everything off, but I was still only able to get her running for about 5 minutes (and running really rough at that...backfires and smoke). Drained the tank and put in fresh fuel ( the old was treated with stabilizer, just wanted to be sure that that wasnt the problem), that made her run longer (and i thought i had it beat), but next thing I know, as soon as I give it any kind of throttle above 6k (after running happily for about 10 minutes), she bogs and then tries to die out. I think that i might have flooded the engine with fuel a little trying to get it to start (copious amounts of gas dripping out the bottom of the bike), so Im not sure if thats the problem. I only say that because every time I try to restart it, rather than the fuel pump just pumping a little (just a couple clicks like it usually does), I hear it run for about 5-6 secs straight. Naturally, after trying to get it started a couple of times, she floods, and here comes the gas all over the engine... As far as I can tell, no hoses are pinched, and the carbs dont appear to be clogged as when I got it running the last time, it was idling pretty smooth. I am all out of ideas and wondering if I should just break down and call my local dealer so they can have a go at it (which I cant really afford to do). Please any help or suggestions are appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.