Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What is the difference between all of these....From my research:

R6s - More of a street use
R6r - Race model, Lots of power?
R6 - Stock?

Please can someone clarify all this for me :)

Thanks

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
The s and r really are just body styles to year. In 06 or something they switched body styles and still made some Ruth the old body style, those are the ones that got the s on the end. I think the r is the same sort of thing but I don't know for sure. Someone smarter needs to do that

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
Here we go...again.

1. Let's start off with the fact that the only "official" R6R was the 2003. Every year the last letter changed. 2004 was R6S, 2005 was R6T, 2006 was R6V, etc.

2. In 2006, they changed the R6, and the new version was a more aggressive bike in ergonomics, stiffer chassis, more power in the upper RPM range, and lower power in the mid range and lower RPM. However, Yamaha continued to sell the previous version R6 right along side the current 3rd generation version. It was identical to the 2004 model, so they called it an R6S....since that was the model year code in 2004.

3. In order to differentiate between the two models, people on forums started calling the 3rd gen R6 an "R6R". Yamaha never would recognize this terminology. It is just a slang term.

4. It has nothing to do with Race, or street, or blah, blah, blah. The R6S is the exact same as the bike that was used in racing from 2003-2004.
5. It is more accurate to call them 1st generation (99-01), 2nd gen (2003-2005, and 2006-2009 R6S) and 3rd gen (2006 and up). Although it might be even more accurate to call the 2008 and up R6 a "gen 3.1" since it had some significant changes in 2008.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I'm confused now....

Cause my V5 says "YZR R6 R"

It's an 06.

It's a new shape? Do I have a stock R6?

So confused lol.
Post a picture.

This is a 1999-2002 R6(First Gen):

This is a 2003-2005 R6(Second Gen...2005 model had inverted forks and a few other things, but the same body style), or a 2006-2009 R6S. You can see the headlights are different, and this was the generation when fuel injection was introduced.

This is a 2006-2007 R6(Third Gen). It had a "third eye" in the center of the headlights. It is often referred to as the R6R.

This is a 2009-current R6. The third eye was no longer lit up from the factory, and you can see the slightly different shape at the bottom of the windscreen. This version is also referred to as the R6R. It is also considered the Third Gen model(or 3.1 as 8ball mentioned)

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
You have a black(raven) 2006 R6. Most people on here will refer to it as an R6r to differentiate between the 2006 R6(what you have) and R6S model.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
The "R" at the end of your's refers to Raven....as in a color code. and what is a "V5"?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
So it's just a stock R6 with the 128bhp?
The only thing I can visibly see that may give it a little more power is the exhaust. The other clear mods are smoked turn signals and a different license plate bracket.

Also, if you get it dyno tested, you wont see anywhere close to that 128 horsepower number. That is at the crank. At the wheel, you should expect to see more like 100hp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only thing I can visibly see that may give it a little more power is the exhaust. The other clear mods are smoked turn signals and a different license plate bracket.

Also, if you get it dyno tested, you wont see anywhere close to that 128 horsepower number. That is at the crank. At the wheel, you should expect to see more like 100hp.
I thought 2006 R6's where 125bhp?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF-R6

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
So it's just a stock R6 with the 128bhp?
It may be 125. I really don't know the bhp number. I was just going off what you had said earlier on the horsepower numbers.

You will get different numbers everywhere you look. At the end of the day, it is a hell of a lot more power than you need to be able to do the speed limit anywhere, and enough power to get out of control in a hurry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts