Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question. since the 09 R6 s does not have a cat is it worth putting a full system on it? Or should I just go with a slip on. I got my two brothers full exhaust in today and the headers didn't fit because they didn't make a full system for the R6 s. Apparently Motorcycle Superstore was not aware of this. however after talking to a rep at m4 they do absolutely make a full exhaust for an r6s. so before I place the order for the carbon fiber canister and headers I just want to get a more experienced opinion on whether I should save myself the $400 and just grab a slip on of my choice. don't mind spending the extra money if I'm going to get something out of it.
Thanks.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Where is the bike being used? If you are just riding on the street, I wouldn't worry about anything more than a slip on. The stock headers are pretty good on their flow. A full exhaust will get a little bit better flow and give you slightly more power, but it would kind of be a waste for street riding. If you are going to be at the track all the time and are a fast rider who is trying to get every last bit of power out of the bike, a full exhaust will get you a little more and save a tiny bit of weight. For the cost, it is a complete waste on the street, though. Hell, some of the guys even use the second gen headers on their third gens as a cheaper alternative to a full exhaust.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
The R6S does have a cat. It is in the stock muffler. But as Jebova said the gains are marginal on the street. The larger diameters of most full systems mean you tend to lose a bit in the mid range. Some systems like Yosh (I know) have a duplex feature where they neck down right at the outlet of the head to increase exhaust velocity to give better mid range, but without a full dyno tune, reaping the benefits ain't gonna happen.

Even with a slip-on you should get it tuned. The majority of the restriction in the OEM system is in the muffler. But it is less crucial, and a generic map on a PC would get you in the ball park.

Disclaimer: As I always say about generic maps, they get you in the ball park, but like Yankee Stadium, it's a pretty big ball park.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a danmoto gp Carbon exhaust slip-on now. With a pcv, and bmc race filter. I also have a autotune buy haven't hooked it up cause of not wanting to weld 18mm bung on till I have my system I want. In the mail is 520 conversion and speedo. I also have smog plates to install but didn't get to it tonight. So are you sayin get whatever slip-on I like best, or full with dyno...or do I not need dyno with autotune.

·
BOHICA
54 Posts
The exhaust you get will decide whether you need a tune or not. I bought my 03 with a micron on and it ran fine with no pc. I knew I was adding a new exhaust, air filter and block off plates so I got a pc and ran a downloaded map and it ran fine. In the end with a devil exhaust, k&n, and block off plates I was forced to get it tuned. The tuner told me the exhaust was letting so much air through it would cause the engine to cut out. Runs perfect now with no popping on decel.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not sure how the full system mounts on the S but I will say I just put an M4 full system on mine and the quality of the product is top notch.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Also is there a way to mount obviously not this current exhaust, but when I order my full or slip-on is there a way to make is like the 3 gen where it's short and tucked up close.
You can try removing the midpipe and tightening the shit out of a clamp between where the slip on and headers meet, if the slip on allows it.

If not, do a search on here, because someone had made a topic about doing it not too long ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts