Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I find out if I have an R6S or not. I have a 2004 R6. I am trying to put a 08 r6 motor in my blown up 04 r6 and everywhere I go they ask if it is an R6S or not. I don't know how to find that out. The title does not say and there are no stickers on it so I would assume that you can tell by the vin but I don't know how. PLease help gotta get back riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I would say the motor. From what I have found so far it looks like the only differences are thing like front forks and bigger front tire and different brakes is what makes an R6s. I plan on using the whole wire harness from the 08 with the 08 motor I'm just trying to determine if the motor mount points are the same or not. If it fits I will put it in. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
2003 R6
140 Posts
How do I find out if I have an R6S or not. I have a 2004 R6. I am trying to put a 08 r6 motor in my blown up 04 r6 and everywhere I go they ask if it is an R6S or not. I don't know how to find that out. The title does not say and there are no stickers on it so I would assume that you can tell by the vin but I don't know how. PLease help gotta get back riding.

The R6S is like the 2003-2004 body style. The R6 is the new body style. You should familiarize yourself with these things as you ride a bike.

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
You cannot put a 3rd gen (2006 and later) R6 motor into a 2nd gen R6. The R6S is identical to the 2003 & 2004 R6 models.

I don't know what distinguishing differences you can use to identify *just* the motor. I'm sure if you saw them side-by-side it'd be obvious. '08+ R6 have variable length intake runners - that might be an easy give away if you can open up the airbox.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,454 Posts
well I would say the motor. From what I have found so far it looks like the only differences are thing like front forks and bigger front tire and different brakes is what makes an R6s. I plan on using the whole wire harness from the 08 with the 08 motor I'm just trying to determine if the motor mount points are the same or not. If it fits I will put it in. Thanks for any help you can give.
The 08 R6 and the 08 R6S are totally different bikes. You need an engine from an 03 or 04 R6 or any year R6S.

Maybe try googling what an 06+ engine looks like vs 03-05 ...

Also it doesn't have a bigger front tire...
If you're referring to the third gen vs. the second gen, then yes the third gen does have a bigger front tire (with the exception of the 05).

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,652 Posts
The 08 R6 and the 08 R6S are totally different bikes. You need an engine from an 03 or 04 R6 or any year R6S.

If you're referring to the third gen vs. the second gen, then yes the third gen does have a bigger front tire (with the exception of the 05).
He said the r6s had a bigger front. And they aren't noticeable by eye anyway. 120/70 vs 120/60.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First let me apologize. the donor bike is a 07 not an 08. secondly these engines are compatable. Just spoke with Yamaha and the crankcase for the 04 has been discontinued. the updated part number is for both the 04 and the 07 so they should fit. I will post picture when finished.

·
Pobrecitos
19,888 Posts
Maybe try googling what an 06+ engine looks like vs 03-05 ...

Also it doesn't have a bigger front tire...

??? Wahhh

What? I'll have to check both my bikes, I want to say they both run the same tire...

He said the r6s had a bigger front. And they aren't noticeable by eye anyway. 120/70 vs 120/60.

Really?

Not true. The 2nd gen R6 has a 60 series profile. '05 and the third gens have 70 series. :fact
I learned something new...I hope I didn't mount the wrong tires on my S...:laugh

Boom! There you go. Easy peasy.
The airbox is also a dead giveaway...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah it has a 60 tire but you can slap a 70 on there. Some complain of the fender rubbing on the 70 but every tire brand is different so it may. Nothing wrongs with the r6s model. It dominated in its day, it's fast, extremely flickable. Crap brakes and regular forks an lack of slipper clutch are my only complaint

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok. Let me ask ya'll this. Will a 2002 r6 motor that has been built fit in an 2004 r6 frame. Bolt holes line up but the cooling hoses look different on the 02. But this 02 engine is balanced and blueprinted and is the right price. Advice?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.