Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Problem:

The bike does not have power.... more noticably in the lower speeds and higher speeds. Problem still present in ALL speeds. When I'm starting from a dead stand-still, it seems like it wants to misfire perhaps. Throttle response is VERY slow. The faster I go, the less noticable the problem is... that is until I get to around 70mph. Then it does the same slow throttle response and it takes a while to even reach 80mph.

Prior events up until the problem was discovered (dunno if any of this the cause of the problem):

Wednesday evening, I ran out of gas on the highway. I had to push the bike 3/4 mile uphill in order to get off the highway. Got a gas can from work and put in 1/2 gallon from one gas station. Then I rode to BP and filled it to the max. Both times, I used 93 octane. Then I ride home (3 miles away).

I haven't touched the bike until today. Around 11am, I start it up and ride 40 miles to look at some land to buy. I didn't notice a single thing. The land was not perked(sp) yet, so there was some hiking involved (maybe 45 minutes worth).

When I got back to the bike to go home, I didn't notice anything weird until I started to accelerate away. That's when I felt the power loss.

Details on bike:
2007 R6s
21,000 miles
always used either Pride, Mobil, or Shell gas.
First time using BP gas.

Any ideas?

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
since this is the first time using BP fuel. i would say that the gas is bad. maybe there is salt water in the gas. i know they didnt want to loose money and dispose of all of that oil from the gulf.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
You got the girls bike...:poke

Joking, sounds like some bad gas, drain the tank, check the filter and pump.

Had this happen with my snowmachine a few winters ago when fueling up at a Chevron...

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Yeah, could be bad gas...

Fire it off, let it idle for a little bit...rev it a few times then shut it off...

Stick your nose down by the exhaust and smell it...if it smell kinda varnish-y or sweet, (or just out of the ordinary) then you got some bad gas...

But from running outta gas, you mightve picked up some sediment from the bottom of the tank...thus clogging the fuel pump pick up, or an injector or something

either way, youre going to need to get in there and do something...drain the gas, put some known fresh fuel in there and maybe run some sea foam injector cleaner in there...

Good luck bro and let us know how you make out...

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel filter:
Did some research, and can't find any mention of a fuel filter on the 2nd gen bikes.

Fuel pump:
Price: YIKES!

Bad gas:
Could I just run it till dry and put my regular gas brands in there?

Sediment in tank:
I thought about this as well...

Sea foam injector:
Can I find this at an auto parts store like AutoZone? Or is it a m/c specific item?

Exhaust smell:
Didn't smell any different. I dunno WHY I even smelled it today in the first place. :laugh

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Bad coils would be my guess...

Had this happen to my bike...one went and it was slow til i got goin hwy speeds, then another burnt up and it was strugglin on two cyl so i took it to the shop (before i learned all my own maintenance) and got new coils put in after reading up on my 03 coil recall...ran perfect

Might just wanna take the coil packs out and see if they're burnt up or bad in any way...

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about the coil packs too. But my laziness got the best of me... I remember changing my spark plugs on my '04 R6... those coil packs were a BISH to get off the plugs. Then they were a BISH to get back on the new plugs.

In general, they're a BISH.

·
Track Aficionado
1,184 Posts
I thought about the coil packs too. But my laziness got the best of me... I remember changing my spark plugs on my '04 R6... those coil packs were a BISH to get off the plugs. Then they were a BISH to get back on the new plugs.

In general, they're a BISH.
Once the tank is propped, I can change all 4 plugs in about 10 minutes. Just use an allan wrench to pry the coils off the plugs.

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran out of gas once, and it fouled the plugs.
Did you only replace the plugs to get it working again?

Once the tank is propped, I can change all 4 plugs in about 10 minutes. Just use an allan wrench to pry the coils off the plugs.
You must not have a 2nd gen R6 then. It's listed as a 90 minute job at the dealer IIRC. On a 2nd gen:

1. Prop tank up
  2. Remove airbox
  3. remove plastic shroud over plugs
  4. drop radiator downwards
  5. remove coil packs (if you can get a grip)
  6. remove spark plugs (if you've got a tool that can fit)

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased STP Fuel Injector Cleaner today... I'll try it tomorrow unless someone can verify that I SHOULD NOT use it for some reason.

·
Track Aficionado
1,184 Posts
Did you only replace the plugs to get it working again?

You must not have a 2nd gen R6 then. It's listed as a 90 minute job at the dealer IIRC. On a 2nd gen:

1. Prop tank up
  2. Remove airbox
  3. remove plastic shroud over plugs
  4. drop radiator downwards
  5. remove coil packs (if you can get a grip)
  6. remove spark plugs (if you've got a tool that can fit)
In my case, the engine ran fine after changing the plugs.

I have an 06, and touching the radiator ain't part of the deal. After the tank is propped, airbox removed, and I have access to the coils, it's literally ten minutes from there.

The only tools I use is a allan wrench to pry the coils out, a $4 spark plug socket from Harbor Freight, and a magnet to fish the old plugs out.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I still think its gonna be your coils or plugs...

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the spark plugs need changing, Lillee's gonna be put into hibernation. :(

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
Coils, plugs, or bad gas :fact But me thinks it's not bad gas due to it running fine when you started it up and rode 40 mins after it sitting for a while. STP is crap for water in the gas though. Sea foam works the best, but if it is water, your best bet is to drain it.

Have you ever changed your plugs? They are due every 8K. And I know the older 6's had coil problems so it's not unheard of. Oh, and silicone spray is your friend.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts