Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2009 R6S and have about 650 miles on it. This is my first bike and I am following the break in recomendations.

Is it worth going up to a 2009 R6? I found a new one in white that looks awesome. Besides the more aggresive riding position, probably harsher ride what differences would i notice between them? Is the R6 a lot harder to ride on the street?

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I wouldn't say it's worth the trade. Especially if it's a new bike.

I've never ridden the R6s but my bike def. has a more aggressive and not as comfortable position as my old 1st gen which looks similar to the r6s.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
I wouldn't say it's worth the trade. Especially if it's a new bike.

I've never ridden the R6s but my bike def. has a more aggressive and not as comfortable position as my old 1st gen which looks similar to the r6s.
The What if question... should have had the salad instead of soup... I've rode the 05 R6 which is basically the R6s, I have to say it's a lot more comfortable than the R. But I like the style of the R more. Wouldn't trade it, you'll have plenty of time to own different bikes down the road. There's always a new shiny toy that catches your eye.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
You only have 650 miles. Keep it a while longer. Ive got 4,560 on mine, had it over a year and not even thinkin about getting rid of it. Couldn't be happier with it

·
Living free
433 Posts
yeah I got 14.5k miles in about a yeah and a half. I love the hell out of my 08 S. I will keep it till it will no longer move. I love the look of the new 6's but my S is a beast!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. I really like my S. That R6 looks very tempting, but in the end am probably going to keep my bike. First time I opened it the revs to 9K it was like "Holy Shit" ..... more fun than any car out there....thats for sure.

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I really like my S. That R6 looks very tempting, but in the end and probably going to keep my bike. First time I opened it the revs to 9K it was like "Holy Shit" ..... more fun than any car out there....thats for sure.
Just wait 'til your first time hitting the rev limiter :fact lol

·
Registered
561 Posts
i've never ridden an s but i love the hell out of my r. the one argument i will say for getting an r6r is that unless u wanna go to a liter bike at some point, you've already got the top model if u have an r6r. with the s, it's still a sweet bike, but the r6r will always be the faster more tech savy one

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I really like my S. That R6 looks very tempting, but in the end am probably going to keep my bike. First time I opened it the revs to 9K it was like "Holy Shit" ..... more fun than any car out there....thats for sure.
Hang on to it. Learn all you can. Yamaha should come out with a new R6 for '12. This is when I would look to upgrade.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually went to the store and the salesman who was a true bike-nut, really told me all the differences between the S and the R and sort of encouraged me to keep what I have and not to trade up. Minimal gains at my level, unless Im buying the R for looks (which was a big part).

Truth is, I love the S: it just does what I ask looks great and is more raw than any car Ive owned (a couple of M3s even a track prepped one).

I think there will always be a better 6 out there and I can always pick up a newer better model when my skills are up to it.

As long as I dont develop arthritis/dementia riding a supersport will always be a learning curve, and some of the most fun you can have on this planet if you are a petrolhead.

·
gettin' some
501 Posts
Ya, my man, I was thinkin' the same way not long after I bought my '09s. But after some mods and riding experience, I don't see the benefit of having the third gen unless I can have both, lol. Believe me I love the looks of the r, just way too attached to my bike to want any other. But its all up to you, ultimately. Enjoy whatever you decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts