Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 08 R6S and I'm trying to find out what sort of upgrades I can do to better the life of the bike. I know what some people depending on which forum you go to say that R6S has different parts made out of different materials to reduce cost. I think the biggest think is the lack of inverted forks. What about internals?

I'm not real interested in going to a track with it for now, but if you have some suggestions for engine modifications I'll take a look into buying the parts and getting them swapped out.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
What did you want to do with the bike? Just mods for better comfort?

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
The engine is fine. If you take care of the bike it will last a long time. Mine just turned 40k and I haven't had a single problem with it. That's with 8 track days mixed in. Keep up with the maintenance and you'll be fine.

There is nothing really wrong with the the standard forks but depending on your weight you could swap springs and change oil/level. It's really not worth the money to swap to the USD forks.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine is fine. If you take care of the bike it will last a long time. Mine just turned 40k and I haven't had a single problem with it. That's with 8 track days mixed in. Keep up with the maintenance and you'll be fine.

There is nothing really wrong with the the standard forks but depending on your weight you could swap springs and change oil/level. It's really not worth the money to swap to the USD forks.
Thanks yuengling.

On your R6S.. does your shift linkage go over your oil filter?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,240 Posts
Should go through the frame if you have the stock shift pattern. GP shift (1 up, 5 down) requires the linkage to go outside the frame.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You change the rear sets and/or clip ons if you're looking for more comfort. It depends on the rider as to what is comfortable. I put Vortex adjustable rear sets and have been able to find a position that is more comfortable than the stock position.

You can have the suspension internals upgraded to add comfort. Or you can just have the suspension tuned for your style/abilities/uses and that will improve the "comfort" (ride quality).

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Should go through the frame if you have the stock shift pattern. GP shift (1 up, 5 down) requires the linkage to go outside the frame.
Mine is all up for upshifting, having it any other way would mess with me big time.. but my chain linkage doesn't go over the oil filter.

You change the rear sets and/or clip ons if you're looking for more comfort. It depends on the rider as to what is comfortable. I put Vortex adjustable rear sets and have been able to find a position that is more comfortable than the stock position.

You can have the suspension internals upgraded to add comfort. Or you can just have the suspension tuned for your style/abilities/uses and that will improve the "comfort" (ride quality).

I mainly have trouble with my hands hurting or going numb if I don't take a break after 30-45 mins. Mostly everyone says I'll get used to it.. I do wonder if the seats would help me.

get one of those stahlbus valves for your oil pan
http://www.aggracing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=75

Maybe some angled valve stems for the wheels.
http://www.aggracing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=84

And lots of seat time!
This actually looks really cool, I might buy one of these. That bolt is a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You don't need to do anything to your S. It's more than enough bike for most bikers. I love my S, except for the big exhaust. Take care of her and she will last just as long as any other Yamaha.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,240 Posts
What do you mean by "over the oil filter"? It should be above it by quite a bit. In the attached photo, I have circled about where the oil filter is behind the fairing (you can't see it in the photo. You can see where the linkage is in the photo.

Attachments

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean by "over the oil filter"? It should be above it by quite a bit. In the attached photo, I have circled about where the oil filter is behind the fairing (you can't see it in the photo. You can see where the linkage is in the photo.
Well on my bike it doesn't go over it or anything.. here is a pic.

http://i.imgur.com/wJmTsDE.jpg

But I noticed on some of the other year R6's it goes over the oil filter and you have to remove the linkage to remove the filter.

Like on this bike.. http://i.imgur.com/KzHsv1J.jpg

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,240 Posts
That's the 3rd gen model that has the linkage in front of the filter. Not the same bike as yours.

·
Just lean harder...
887 Posts
Best upgrade would be a Saddlemen gel seat. I can ride all day without getting a sore bum.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Steering damper? Adj Clips? Gel grips? Temperpedic ass seat?

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
Mine is all up for upshifting, having it any other way would mess with me big time.. but my chain linkage doesn't go over the oil filter.

I mainly have trouble with my hands hurting or going numb if I don't take a break after 30-45 mins. Mostly everyone says I'll get used to it.. I do wonder if the seats would help me.

This actually looks really cool, I might buy one of these. That bolt is a bit of a pain.
This makes me think that your position is messed up. Get the balls of your feet onto the pegs and drive your knees into the gas tank. Support your weight with your legs and core. You should not be putting your weight on your hands/handle bars. This could lead to negative inputs on your steering. Go check out Twist of the Wrist by keith code if you haven't already.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My S has treated me better than I ever expected. Got her brand new and 18k miles later she's still purrin like a kitten even after one low side and one high side. Frame sliders saved the bike both times. The tank though lol it's pretty banged up

I'd suggest like the others

Adjustable rear sets
Adjustable clipons
Super comfy seat
Hids
Stainless steel brake lines
-1+1 gearing
You'll be good to go if you don't have those already

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
A factory pro +4 ignition advancer adds a good throttle feel. Mostly noticeable at a faster pace. Power commander III so you can get it dyno tuned

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Not really. It's one more pain in the ass to deal with. We have no restrictions to begin with.
A new fuel map and it good. Being able to adjust the ignition timing would be great though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts