Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the clutch in my shot. I have heard many things about clutches and racing, so tell me... what kind of replacement clutch plates to get for roadracing? And where is the best place to buy your recommended clutch plates?

Info:
06 r6r
I think some 3 spring slipper clutch mod has been done to it
Use full synthetic race mobil 1 10w40
Always on a budget with racing...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ive heard many people, mostly at the track just recommend sticking to stock OEM plates, YAMAHA did it right from the get go.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i would agree that the OEM plates are ideal. there is a current thread on what to get as there are 3 different fibers you buy, as well as optional metal plates to make the stack height correct. Look for that thread. it is on this page i belive still.
EBC makes good clutch kits too. i have raced with those but there are a few different models they offer. pick the one you feel you want/need.
I use Silkolene pro4 10-40 oil. It's marketed as a synthetic, but it and many other "synthetics" are actually blends. They offer a true synthetic but it's even more expensive. I don't know about the mobile oil.. im sure it's fine, just ensure it does not say "ENERGY CONSERVING" in the label on the back as it could have moly additives that could have the clutch slip. Another alternative is the blue label Rotella diesel oil. 5-40. good stuff too.
The cut springs in the clutch will allow the slipper to "slip" a bit more. You must run 1 full spring of the 3. You can cut the other two a little or a lot. But some engine braking is a good thing..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up with this. Was half the cost of OEM and seemed to be the same material plus aluminum.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKDGC4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Edit: And prime is WIN!

·
Abide.
73 Posts
The vast majority of riders will not be able to decipher the differences between the feel of a Race clutch kit vs. the OEM kit. And on some bikes (such as my ZX10R,) you can go from OEM to absolute top-of-the-line race clutches and the bike behaves exactly the same.

Save some dough!

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I ended up with this. Was half the cost of OEM and seemed to be the same material plus aluminum.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKDGC4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: And prime is WIN!

don't wanna break the news to you.. but that is a FIBER ONLY kit (i am nearly positive). You will need to use your OEM metals.
Not a problem, you often ONLY replace fibers (i just did on one of my 2 bikes). just ensure your metals are not warped by measuring with a feeler gauge on a flat (glass) surface. Ensure your STACK HEIGHT is in spec (42.4mm-43mm) if not, you will need one of the 2 optional thickness metals to adjust the stack height within the spec range. The EBC kit is a fine alternative to the OEM plates at about 40% off the cost.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't wanna break the news to you.. but that is a FIBER ONLY kit (i am nearly positive). You will need to use your OEM metals.
Not a problem, you often ONLY replace fibers (i just did on one of my 2 bikes). just ensure your metals are not warped by measuring with a feeler gauge on a flat (glass) surface. Ensure your STACK HEIGHT is in spec (42.4mm-43mm) if not, you will need one of the 2 optional thickness metals to adjust the stack height within the spec range. The EBC kit is a fine alternative to the OEM plates at about 40% off the cost.
'

Not new news to me. I was only looking for fibers but I am ready to buy the rest if needed. In the worst case, I have to buy another full kit and Ill have the spare fibers for track emergencies.

Next question for MELK-MAN, which pad to use for racing? Ive got it down between the CP1, XRAC or SRJLXX. Ive got a 19x20 brembo master with remote and steel lines, nothing else. I don't mind having to get the rotors cleaned up for organic either.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
'

Not new news to me. I was only looking for fibers but I am ready to buy the rest if needed. In the worst case, I have to buy another full kit and Ill have the spare fibers for track emergencies.

Next question for MELK-MAN, which pad to use for racing? Ive got it down between the CP1, XRAC or SRJLXX. Ive got a 19x20 brembo master with remote and steel lines, nothing else. I don't mind having to get the rotors cleaned up for organic either.
EBC makes great stuff.. not just clutches, but brakes. It's all i use for as long as i have been roadracing AND offroad harescramble racing.
I would consider the EBC extreme Pro EPFA front pads. They won't have the hard initial bite of the GPFA extreme pro ebc pads..
The EPFA is marketed (now) as a "fast street/track day" pad, but i'm telling you, just a few years that was our RACE pad, and i still prefer it to this day. The GPFA will give you more initial bite though.
Just curious, why did you choose a 19x20 brembo over the ever popular 19x18 ? I prefer the STOCK oem brembo, but most everyone that i know (racers) that use an aftermarket brembo, prefer the 19x18 .. just curious.

You don't have to buy a complete kit to get metals, but yes, it would be handy to have the spare fibers. Have you measured your fibers ??? If they are 2.9mm or more, they might be fine. 2.85mm is minimum spec of a fiber.

While you have the clutch apart, inspect the basket for notching of the teeth. Not just marks, but actual grooves you can see AND feel.. same with the pressure plate. is the surface nice and smooth or is there a lip on the outside from being worn big time..

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I had always had good luck with Barnett in my bikes until last season, then the clutch got weird and grabby in the middle of a race weekend. Thoroughly made an ass out of myself on a start in front of the grandstand. :D

Since then, I'm back to OE and all is good. They're surprisingly tough, too. I have no problem with a clutch lasting an entire season, but I'm pretty easy on equipment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EBC makes great stuff.. not just clutches, but brakes. It's all i use for as long as i have been roadracing AND offroad harescramble racing.
I would consider the EBC extreme Pro EPFA front pads. They won't have the hard initial bite of the GPFA extreme pro ebc pads..
The EPFA is marketed (now) as a "fast street/track day" pad, but i'm telling you, just a few years that was our RACE pad, and i still prefer it to this day. The GPFA will give you more initial bite though.
Just curious, why did you choose a 19x20 brembo over the ever popular 19x18 ? I prefer the STOCK oem brembo, but most everyone that i know (racers) that use an aftermarket brembo, prefer the 19x18 .. just curious.

You don't have to buy a complete kit to get metals, but yes, it would be handy to have the spare fibers. Have you measured your fibers ??? If they are 2.9mm or more, they might be fine. 2.85mm is minimum spec of a fiber.

While you have the clutch apart, inspect the basket for notching of the teeth. Not just marks, but actual grooves you can see AND feel.. same with the pressure plate. is the surface nice and smooth or is there a lip on the outside from being worn big time..
Sounds good. Ill go with the EPFA. Ive ridden another bike with those and did like the feel. They also pay contingency which is cool. I'm on the 19x20 because that is what I ended up with on the bike I bought.

I havn't measured my fibers or taken the clutch apart yet, no time until this weekend. On the other hand, if the fibers happen to be okay then Ill have an extra set like I want :) Thanks for the suggestion on what to look for!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Sounds good. Ill go with the EPFA. Ive ridden another bike with those and did like the feel. They also pay contingency which is cool. I'm on the 19x20 because that is what I ended up with on the bike I bought.

I havn't measured my fibers or taken the clutch apart yet, no time until this weekend. On the other hand, if the fibers happen to be okay then Ill have an extra set like I want :) Thanks for the suggestion on what to look for!
know what else to look for ?? a stock r6 master cyl. Someone will likely buy that brembo 19x20 and you would have enough left over to pay for the new clutch parts.. ;) it's what i would do, but if you like it, keep it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Melk-Man, how often are you replacing clutch parts when racing 6 rounds or so a year? I feel like trackday riding doesn't put too much stress on it as much as launching in races.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Melk-Man, how often are you replacing clutch parts when racing 6 rounds or so a year? I feel like trackday riding doesn't put too much stress on it as much as launching in races.
once a year. and sometimes they are still within spec (i keep the clutch pack zip tied together as a spare or as to loan out to someone in need)
i'm doing about 8 rounds a year with 4-5 practice sessions on Saturday before 5-6 races on sunday. Figure at least 1-2 red flags during the day so 7-8 hard launches. one bike gets raced 2x a weekend, the other 3-4 races.. Silkolene Pro4 oil is wonderful stuff and i think is part of the success.

i agree that launches are harder on the clutch, but don't forget the slipper clutch. This wears the clutch pack more than a traditional clutch on older bikes would, because it's.. well.. slipping :) (off gas on corner entry, not all the time hopefully)

·
Registered
102 Posts
once a year. and sometimes they are still within spec (i keep the clutch pack zip tied together as a spare or as to loan out to someone in need)
i'm doing about 8 rounds a year with 4-5 practice sessions on Saturday before 5-6 races on sunday. Figure at least 1-2 red flags during the day so 7-8 hard launches. one bike gets raced 2x a weekend, the other 3-4 races.. Silkolene Pro4 oil is wonderful stuff and i think is part of the success.

i agree that launches are harder on the clutch, but don't forget the slipper clutch. This wears the clutch pack more than a traditional clutch on older bikes would, because it's.. well.. slipping :) (off gas on corner entry, not all the time hopefully)
Sounds good. Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for your help Melk-man! I ended up getting first in NovU this weekend and second in NovO by a few feet. Those brakes worked pretty damn good. What do you know about EBC contingency? Ive heard that no one here in the MRA got certs from last year but we still have them for contingency this year. Thanks again for the help!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Thanks for your help Melk-man! I ended up getting first in NovU this weekend and second in NovO by a few feet. Those brakes worked pretty damn good. What do you know about EBC contingency? Ive heard that no one here in the MRA got certs from last year but we still have them for contingency this year. Thanks again for the help!
very nice ! good results make one feel very good indeed.

Brendan Cashman ([email protected]) email this guy.

same thing has been going on for over a year. Brendan has been very slow about getting certs out. I don't know why, but he assured me today that he is sending them out. Here is a thread in the ccs roadracing forum regarding this very issue. http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php?topic=27118.0

1 - 18 of 18 Posts