Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
My R6 is hungry.
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on going to the track several times starting this march on my 05. Im definitely going to be new to the track scene this year so I want to have all my crap together come march. Is it abs. necessary to have extra body work for going to the track for the first time?

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
You don't need aftermarket race fairings for trackdays. The stock fairings are just more expensive to crash than track plastics.

Also to convert between the two sets of plastics is a pain. So unless your bike is track only I would run your stock plastics.

·
My R6 is hungry.
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i hope to it dedicate to the track one day. As soon as i can afford an r1 or an 08 r6...

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
I disagree, you can buy new cheap track bodywork for 300 dollars, it can cost 300 dollars for one piece of stock plastic. When your on the track everyone crashes, it is only a matter of when and how many times.

Day one you are going to just be getting accustom to the track so just take it easy and your street stuff will be fine. As your ability improves and your desire to go faster increases, from time to time you may push just beyond the limit of traction or someone will pull a bonehead move and you will go down, no biggie I crash at least a couple times a year racing. I recommend considering a track only bike (aka POS to begin with is fine) or at least bodywork, it will save you money in the long run.

Z

·
Registered
339 Posts
i did multiple track days with my stock fairs and was always worried about dumping it wiht those plastics.

I got my race fairings and i rode much harder b/c i didnt worry about wasting over a grand in plastic if i went down hard enough. I spent alittle over $300 for my race fairings and they look great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
search for r6 fairings on ebay

·
Registered
7 Posts
E-Racing makes good stuff according to all those on the WERA board, I guess they molded they're plastic from Sharkskin plastic so the fit is perfect. Go to www.wera.com go to the forum and search E-Racing there's a guy selling them on there for $350 shipped I believe. I need a set as well but I don't think the finances are going to permit it regrettably.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Get them. Better to have them before you need them after... Not only are they cheaper to buy but they are cheaper/easier to fix! I trashed my race upper in a crash and patched it back together for $20 :)

Also keep an eye out for used sets. I bought a used tank (w/ pump and stompgrips) and a full set of undamaged (but used) plastics for $180 :)

You can also ride on the track without any fairings if you want... doesn't look as nice but certainly saves $$ in case you crash.

And it's really not that hard to switch between the two sets of fairings... once you do it once and see how it all comes apart/goes together, it'll go by quickly. It's worth the time/effort.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Another option is to convert race fairings to be street legal and ride it that way. Save your OEM plastics and get a cool look all in one.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Race fairings are nice to have but not a necessity for a first trackday. I ride in the race group on a bike with street fairings and race tires.

·
Will work for track time
19,494 Posts
Race fairings are nice to have but not a necessity for a first trackday. I ride in the race group on a bike with street fairings and race tires.
True but $200 per fairing is to dam much to replace each one. The way I see it, $350 for some race plastics is a good investment. I just dont want to trash my street fairings on the track.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Buy a track bike :) if you do go down bodywork will get trashed, but plan on replacing a few hard bits as well.
I would not push a bike I really love at the track, if you are not ready to walk away from a pile of parts that used to be your bike, don't do it. That is not to say you should not do track days, just keep in mind that shit happens and when you plan to pass that pesky GSXR in a corner think twice.
I could not deal with it, so I picked up a dedicated bike (which is a slippery slope into club racing :))

·
Will work for track time
19,494 Posts
Buy a track bike :) if you do go down bodywork will get trashed, but plan on replacing a few hard bits as well.
I would not push a bike I really love at the track, if you are not ready to walk away from a pile of parts that used to be your bike, don't do it. That is not to say you should not do track days, just keep in mind that shit happens and when you plan to pass that pesky GSXR in a corner think twice.
I could not deal with it, so I picked up a dedicated bike (which is a slippery slope into club racing :))
Im prepared to eat it at the track at some point. And honestly at that point I think that It would instantly be retired as a "street bike" and I would go pick up an r1 for the street.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wouldnt say track fairings are ABSOLUTLEY necessary but it is definatley more cost effective to have them. So dont cut corners on ur fairings, but even more important than that make sure you spend the money on a good track suit! I cant stress how important it is to have good leathers. So if it comes down to it I'd rather you be out a couple grand by destroying ur stock fairings than destroying your ass if you know what i mean

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have a set of e-racing race fairings for my 03 and can also not afford to buy a second bike for street/track. Once you get it all figured out the first time its definately worth it. I ride about 10-15 track days a season and at first it used to take me about 2 hours to convert, now I have it down to one hour after all that practice. Anyway, in the long run, its definately worth the money and time invested, you don't have to worry so you can ride like riding is meant to be, fun and damned fast!!

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
Race fairings are really good to have, but for those of us that own 3rd gen R6's and don't have aftermarket full exhaust systems, it's a complete waste of money. Why?? Because it won't mount up. Unless you have a full exhaust system, you can't mount race fairings because of the collector box on the stock exhaust. I have yet to find a race bodywork company that accomodates the stock system. I ended up just buying a rashed up set of street plastics for the track.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts