Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a used set of impaktech race rails from my friend who crashed his bike. He didn't have the mounting hardware and I was hoping one R6 forum members could help me figure out what size bolts and spacers I should pick up from the hardware store. I did a google search and a search on the forums.

I will found a picture of the hardware. Please help.

I found a few pictures online.

The hardware should be the same as the below picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
149 Posts
See if Impaktech sells replacement hardware sets? That would be my first move. Most companies do in case you damage a bolt or something, and if they are not advertised, they may sell you the mounting hardware and such if you reach out to them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See if Impaktech sells replacement hardware sets? That would be my first move. Most companies do in case you damage a bolt or something, and if they are not advertised, they may sell you the mounting hardware and such if you reach out to them.

Thanks for the input. I was talking to some guys at a local bike shop about my plans for the R6. A stunter told me he sometimes he drops his bike and ges his replacement hardware for his cage from Home Depot. I was going to contact Impaktech if I didn't get feedback from the forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I sent them an email. I'm just waiting on a response.

Update 1: I bought the replacement hardware set from Impaktech for $34.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the advice

·
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
149 Posts
I sent them an email. I'm just waiting on a response.

Update 1: I bought the replacement hardware set from Impaktech for $34.

hey Just4GP! I'm super glad that worked for you, and $34 isn't bad, and now you have all the "proper" hardware so you can feel good about the fitting and durability.

Let us know how that works out!

P.s. - believe it or not i actually purchased an entire replacement set of the bolts pins and rubber ding dongs, so whenever something snaps or wears, i pop a brand new one in! Lot's of those fairing pins that are so easily broken (i have an entire bag of those for like $4). It's always good to have spare parts if you are a motorcycle enthusiast of any level.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey Just4GP! I'm super glad that worked for you, and $34 isn't bad, and now you have all the "proper" hardware so you can feel good about the fitting and durability.

Let us know how that works out!

P.s. - believe it or not i actually purchased an entire replacement set of the bolts pins and rubber ding dongs, so whenever something snaps or wears, i pop a brand new one in! Lot's of those fairing pins that are so easily broken (i have an entire bag of those for like $4). It's always good to have spare parts if you are a motorcycle enthusiast of any level.

That’s a great idea. I discovered a lower fairing bolt was missing on my bike the other day. Having spares would have made it a quick fix. I had to go to the local motorcycle mechanic to get a replacement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yo, how do you like the race rails? I am thinking about getting a set in place of frame sliders

I installed the rails this weekend but. I’m still unsure how I feel about them. They look cool but, I have to adjust my legs, at a stop, a bit because of the rails.

·
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
149 Posts
well they are race rails... you aren't supposed to be stopping much.... they not only protect your bike, but in the event your over in a turn and you lose traction and lowside hard, the rail will somewhat protect your knees from being crushed...

but those look more like a stunt cage....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well they are race rails... you aren't supposed to be stopping much.... they not only protect your bike, but in the event your over in a turn and you lose traction and lowside hard, the rail will somewhat protect your knees from being crushed...

but those look more like a stunt cage....

Hahaha. I try not to stop much either. I ride my R6 on the street in town often. I just have to have a wider stance at a stop.

Yeah that’s what I thought about the appearance too. I checked with the Impaktech website. It is definitely a race rail.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i'll never understand the mentality some stunters have about buying hardware at home depot to replace on their bikes when its obvious that its specialized hardware.. 95% of people with "race rails" can barely wheelie and have them for looks but in reality its just a great way to lose a leg in a low side

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'll never understand the mentality some stunters have about buying hardware at home depot to replace on their bikes when its obvious that its specialized hardware.. 95% of people with "race rails" can barely wheelie and have them for looks but in reality its just a great way to lose a leg in a low side

The threaded rod looks like any other threaded rod a person can find at a hardware store. The only specialized part would be the spacers. IMO I don’t see using parts from the Hardware store as an issue.

I can’t wheelie but, I got these so I can learn without worrying too much about damage

·
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
149 Posts
So, i shall explain the difference between (*before you rage reply this is just from my own experience not the encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge*):

True Race Rails - offer pretty solid engine protection during high speed washout but usually won't save the visual aspects of your bike, these are intended to be rather flush and long, and without any protruding edges for it to snag as it makes its transition sliding off the track. They are designed to take massive slide abuse. What happens is as the bike is "sliding" it needs to safely slide without snagging on the race edge line or other debris, since a snag at racetrack speeds will actually bend your engine mount/chassis totaling your bike rather than saving it.

Frame Sliders (little pegs) - those will save your engine and fairings from most damages during a low / medium speed lay down/crash... most... but your pegs are out of the question, those are probably going to break as designed. They also offer fantastic protection from stand still drops.

Stunt Cage - designed for low / medium speed drops, usually the largest of the "protective add-on's" and made to take repetitive abuse, with interchangeable parts. Some two piece cages offer rear standing spots for tricks. Also like Suzuka_jow mentioned, don't go down on these hard or they are going to most likely crumple and take your leg in the process.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, i shall explain the difference between (*before you rage reply this is just from my own experience not the encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge*):

True Race Rails - offer pretty solid engine protection during high speed washout but usually won't save the visual aspects of your bike, these are intended to be rather flush and long, and without any protruding edges for it to snag as it makes its transition sliding off the track. They are designed to take massive slide abuse. What happens is as the bike is "sliding" it needs to safely slide without snagging on the race edge line or other debris, since a snag at racetrack speeds will actually bend your engine mount/chassis totaling your bike rather than saving it.

Frame Sliders (little pegs) - those will save your engine and fairings from most damages during a low / medium speed lay down/crash... most... but your pegs are out of the question, those are probably going to break as designed. They also offer fantastic protection from stand still drops.

Stunt Cage - designed for low / medium speed drops, usually the largest of the "protective add-on's" and made to take repetitive abuse, with interchangeable parts. Some two piece cages offer rear standing spots for tricks. Also like Suzuka_jow mentioned, don't go down on these hard or they are going to most likely crumple and take your leg in the process.

Hahaha...“rage reply” AND “not the encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge”.....thanks for the info.

So would you consider these more of a stunt/crash cage?

From what you and Suzuka_jow said, my understanding is that It may not be the best protection for highway riding and possibly dangerous if the rails snag on something.

·
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
149 Posts
i have a small frame slider on each side connected to a breakaway bracket for street riding (this is for low speed stuff only). I am very hesitant to have anything like a big cage or rail.

At the track i would use only case covers.

I have heard many stories of people with posts, sliders or cages going down at a low/medium speed but the dang thing catches in a pothole and flips the bike violently into a tumble instead of an easy slide.....

·
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
149 Posts
this is more of a "true race rail." notice the length and shape. it does not offer fairing protection just the actual engine itself...

i also found this ironic to come up int he forum today..... >>r6 forum link<<

1 - 20 of 26 Posts