Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several threads on this but they are rather old and I was hoping there would be some new answers on this.

I'm debating whether to get the shogun crash kit for my 2014 r6 or get some race railz made.

My main concern is I heard from some folks that race rails crack the frame.. and that they can get caught but wouldn't frame sliders get caught in such a situation too?

Also what is the best place to get race rails from if I do go this route?

Thank you.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
I know there are several threads on this but they are rather old and I was hoping there would be some new answers on this.

I'm debating whether to get the shogun crash kit for my 2014 r6 or get some race railz made.

My main concern is I heard from some folks that race rails crack the frame.. and that they can get caught but wouldn't frame sliders get caught in such a situation too?

Thank you.
there's always a chance that those items will cause more damage than they'll prevent. i've seen sliders break off on initial impact or just fold right over and do absolutely nothing. i've seen them grab or dig in and cause the bike to tumble, creating a yard sale.

i no longer use sliders, but i'd use them again before race rails. if you get them, get woodcraft because they are, by far, the best sliders on the market. they are shorter and don't have a tendency to cause the bike to tumble. they WILL NOT save your pretty fairings, nor are they advertised to do so.

i went to case savers instead. case covers are preferred, but i had to make a financial decision and a couple sets of race tires and case savers it was. they seem to be the best insurance for getting your bike upright and home without leaking fluid all over.

good luck...

s3aturnr

edit: from what i've seen, shogun makes a garbage product. everyone i've seen at the track that uses crash protection uses woodcraft.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you.
there's always a chance that those items will cause more damage than they'll prevent. i've seen sliders break off on initial impact or just fold right over and do absolutely nothing. i've seen them grab or dig in and cause the bike to tumble, creating a yard sale.

i no longer use sliders, but i'd use them again before race rails. if you get them, get woodcraft because they are, by far, the best sliders on the market. they are shorter and don't have a tendency to cause the bike to tumble. they WILL NOT save your pretty fairings, nor are they advertised to do so.

i went to case savers instead. case covers are preferred, but i had to make a financial decision and a couple sets of race tires and case savers it was. they seem to be the best insurance for getting your bike upright and home without leaking fluid all over.

good luck...

s3aturnr

edit: from what i've seen, shogun makes a garbage product. everyone i've seen at the track that uses crash protection uses woodcraft.
I went down pretty violently last week and had shogun frame sliders. My bike was totalled but my right and left fairings looked perfect besides a dent where the frame slider bent in. But no scrapes or leaks or anything.

The reason I'm thinking of going with racing rails though is because every crash is different and I am hoping the rail would protect. Specifically I'm looking for protection against my handle bar denting my frame which is what happened to me in this crash. And possible protecting my tail plastics and gas tank.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I would like plastics protection in the event of a silly drop in the parking lot; I won't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new piece of plastic or painting.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

good luck...

s3aturnr

This. What happened that you went down violently?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

good luck...

s3aturnr

This. What happened that you went down violently?
I made a thread about this. Attempted to do my first wheelie and looped it. No need to call me an idiot several others have already.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And my intentions are not to protect it from stunting. I know for this I need a cage. I will never stunt again. And if I do it will be on a cheap dirt bike.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Also I would like plastics protection in the event of a silly drop in the parking lot; I won't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new piece of plastic or painting.
a zero mph drop in a parking lot is likely to punch the slider or rail right thru your frame. they are made for a lowside. where your bike is already leaned over pretty far when your tires lose grip.

also, if your frame is dented, it's likely a total loss. you'd be surprised how fragile they can be if they're dented in just the right place. if i were you, i'd start looking for a replacement frame...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a zero mph drop in a parking lot is likely to punch the slider or rail right thru your frame. they are made for a lowside. where your bike is already leaned over pretty far when your tires lose grip.

also, if your frame is dented, it's likely a total loss. you'd be surprised how fragile they can be if they're dented in just the right place. if i were you, i'd start looking for a replacement frame...

s3aturnr
Yeah I know. I'm gonna be getting a new frame in awhile. I can ride with this dented one but it's gonna be a real eye sore. Just looking for ways to prevent something like this when I get the new one. So there's no way to protect both the plastics and frame/ covers?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
get woodcraft because they are, by far, the best sliders on the market. they are shorter and don't have a tendency to cause the bike to tumble. they WILL NOT save your pretty fairings, nor are they advertised to do so.
This...all the way.

I laugh when people ask if "FRAME SLIDERS" are going to save their fairings in a crash. Let me reiterate:

FRAME SLIDERS

It's in the fvucking word itself. Fairing sliders? No. Frame sliders.

I have never seen a Woodcraft frame slider (With their stubby pucks) catch the ground and cause a garage sale wreck.

Combining Woodcraft cases with their frame sliders is about the sturdiest set up you can get. If you still FUBAR your bike with those, then the bike is going to be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get woodcraft because they are, by far, the best sliders on the market. they are shorter and don't have a tendency to cause the bike to tumble. they WILL NOT save your pretty fairings, nor are they advertised to do so.
This...all the way.

I laugh when people ask if "FRAME SLIDERS" are going to save their fairings in a crash. Let me reiterate:

FRAME SLIDERS

It's in the fvucking word itself. Fairing sliders? No. Frame sliders.

I have never seen a Woodcraft frame slider (With their stubby pucks) catch the ground and cause a garage sale wreck.

Combining Woodcraft cases with their frame sliders is about the sturdiest set up you can get. If you still FUBAR your bike with those, then the bike is going to be the least of your worries.
But in the case of the shogun sliders my right and left fairings were protected...

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
There is literally nothing that will protect your frame from getting hit by a clip-on, other than not crashing, or crashing "just right". It won't happen every time, but when it does, it does.

Frame sliders will help your fairings stay in one piece, to an extent. They can't protect them from everything. When you crash, shit breaks. You were very lucky in your crash to only have minimal damage to the fairings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is literally nothing that will protect your frame from getting hit by a clip-on, other than not crashing, or crashing "just right". It won't happen every time, but when it does, it does.

Frame sliders will help your fairings stay in one piece, to an extent. They can't protect them from everything. When you crash, shit breaks. You were very lucky in your crash to only have minimal damage to the fairings.
All the fairings were completely destroyed just the left and right fairings were good because that's where the sliders were.

What I'm looking for though is something that will protect my fairings from laying down the bike in a parking lot and won't destroy my frame in a more serious crash. I know there's is no way of protecting the fairings in a bad crash but I don't want the sliders to cause damage to my fframe.

I know the best part is to go with the suggestion here and get wood craft sliders and case covers but I could just have an unlucky day and lose balance and drop the bike. Or some idiot knocks it over in the parking lot. It would suck to pay $300

1 - 14 of 14 Posts