Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What pads do you use/recommend/like/dislike for racing and trackday use?

New rotors from MikeyMoto are coming soon so I'm looking to get a new set of pads but figured I would start a discussion and get a little more review-like information out there for everyone based on personal experiences. I know people really like the Ferodo XRAC pads, anyone have comments about Galfer pads?

This is for racing use for me, but post up what you like and what you use it for (and where you bought it!)

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Running the EBC HH pads... Very happy with them.

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
this is gonna be similar to "what oil should i use" or "what tire brand is best"..
All the major brake com. make good brakes.

My personal opinion is the EBC extreme pro EPFA if you like a progressive feel or the EBC GPFA if you like a harder initial bite.
I suspect you can get the HH pads for less than the extreme pro pads but are just fine for track day use. Interestingly the EPFA are now marketed toward track days. A few years ago that WAS the race pad they sent us. :) Some of the fast guys wanted more "bite" and the GPFA was born.

EBC IS the biggest name in brakes, but there are many good brands.

Here is the EBC pad/rotor selector chart for various motorcycle applications.
http://ebcbrakes.com/brakes-selector-chart/

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
this is gonna be similar to "what oil should i use" or "what tire brand is best"..
All the major brake com. make good brakes.

My personal opinion is the EBC extreme pro EPFA if you like a progressive feel or the EBC GPFA if you like a harder initial bite.
I suspect you can get the HH pads for less than the extreme pro pads but are just fine for track day use. Interestingly the EPFA are now marketed toward track days. A few years ago that WAS the race pad they sent us. :) Some of the fast guys wanted more "bite" and the GPFA was born.

EBC IS the biggest name in brakes, but there are many good brands.

Here is the EBC pad/rotor selector chart for various motorcycle applications.
http://ebcbrakes.com/brakes-selector-chart/
:werd
Over here, I see EPFA marketed towards a street/track use, rather than mostly track.
I'm running EPFA fronts and CL RX3 on the rear. I have to say the EPFA are great for the track; but I was using RJLs before which I preferred for the street/track use that I was on. I'll probably go back to RJL for general use and just slip in some EPFAs when I'm at the track.

·
KneeDragger#555
110 Posts
Performance Friction Carbon metallic.

I have used ebc, veserah and just was never comfortable with them. These are more of a progressive pad and dont a have a ton of initial bite as to interfere with trail braking.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to be trying the Galfer 1003 pads, friends of mine get a deal on them and the rotor brand recommends I use Galfer (apparently some rotors work/bed-in better with some pads but not so well with others).

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I'm going to be trying the Galfer 1003 pads, friends of mine get a deal on them and the rotor brand recommends I use Galfer (apparently some rotors work/bed-in better with some pads but not so well with others).
that is a urban myth if i ever heard one ;) Total bullcrap. Maybe galfer paid that rotor company to say that, but it's simply not true. I have ran $670 brembo rotors, and presently have some very nice EBC rotors, and i have never seen instructions that say "run this brand pad"..

Different pad material will work differently, different brands friction material formula will work differently.. but that is all it is. A different feel. Any quality rotor will work with any quality pad. Just depends on the feel that you look for.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
:werd
Over here, I see EPFA marketed towards a street/track use, rather than mostly track.
I'm running EPFA fronts and CL RX3 on the rear. I have to say the EPFA are great for the track; but I was using RJLs before which I preferred for the street/track use that I was on. I'll probably go back to RJL for general use and just slip in some EPFAs when I'm at the track.
Yes, even in the current RoadRacingWorld magazine adds, EBC lists the epfa for street/track day and gpfa for racing.. BUT.. if you look back a few years the epfa was marketed as the race pad. It really does work for racing (all i use) if you are lookin for a more progressive race application pad.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Different pad material will work differently, different brands friction material formula will work differently.. but that is all it is. A different feel. Any quality rotor will work with any quality pad. Just depends on the feel that you look for.
I'm not particularly picky on the feel... I easy when it comes to adapting for changes.

I guess I might have to resort to some trials to see what I prefer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts