Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Racing gas is great! More power and in some cases really does smooth out bumps in the power band. No real negitive effects for running high octane gas over the long term except on the wallet. I have heard that it can be hard on the fuel lines, but have never been able to confirm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
so racing gas is just high octane gas??!!,... i didn't know that ,..

what octane level is racing gas?? and how can u get it?

up here we have 94 out of the pump , and if i bought that nos high octane additive , ithink it's like 104+ octane ,...... so would that work or do u need the real stuff??

and it realy makes more power!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
so what is it good for then , ... only high combustion engines ??

so if i pu in 94 octan with the 104 octane boost it will only give me 97 octane ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
All the higher octane is used for is for higher compression engines. The higher the octane rating, the more it can be compressed without detonation. Chances are that your bike doesn't need anything more than premium from the pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
phantom menace said:
so what is it good for then , ... only high combustion engines ??

so if i pu in 94 octan with the 104 octane boost it will only give me 97 octane ??
Yes, about 97 octane.. Booster is pretty pointless.. All is USUALLY is, is Toluene, and some other crap..

You dont need higher octane w/ your bike.. Ive used 100 before and it doesnt do much.. Just smells good :D
 

·
Bacon is extra!
Joined
·
494 Posts
I've heard that using octane booster over time can dry out your seals. I wouldn't use it too frequently anyways, because your computer is tuned for 91-93 octane and a higher octane would use a different fuel curve.

Do they use the same octane formula in Canada as in the US? I know Europe uses a different formula and 97 in Europe is equivalent to 91 in the States. I only ask because I've never seen 94 at the pump here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
interisting,..... i didn;t know there was a diff in the fuels , we have 87,89,91,92,94, ,.... i think are 94 is is actualy right , because i read in a us mag that said they have 94 in canada out of the pump , kinda like it was a big deal or somthing ?!?!?.....

my friend would brag about in europe they have 97 octane and higher ,
but isn't true , whats the diff in the fuels ????
 

·
Bacon is extra!
Joined
·
494 Posts
If that's what you have at the pump, Canada uses the same system as the US.

The gas is the same everywhere, just the way you do the math to determine the octane rating is different. So your friend's 97 is only 91 or so to North America.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
I live in central CA and all we have here is 87, 89, 91 or 92 octane at the pump. Octane booster to me doesn't do crap but in arizona i got some 102 octane gas and yeah....smelled really good!!! :hammer I'd pay the extra cash just for the smell of it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
04areSix said:
All the higher octane is used for is for higher compression engines. The higher the octane rating, the more it can be compressed without detonation. Chances are that your bike doesn't need anything more than premium from the pump.
Yup, just a waste of money, but a "since of security"

You put it in, and the placibo(sp) effect comes into play
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
krom said:
I've heard that using octane booster over time can dry out your seals. I wouldn't use it too frequently anyways, because your computer is tuned for 91-93 octane and a higher octane would use a different fuel curve.

Do they use the same octane formula in Canada as in the US? I know Europe uses a different formula and 97 in Europe is equivalent to 91 in the States. I only ask because I've never seen 94 at the pump here.
over here in the uk you buy normal unleaded fuel at 93 octane for 83.9 pence a litre but they also do a super unleaded which is 95 octane which is about 90 pence a litre. and its what we run our 03 racer on. it won't do your bike any harm at all.....!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
I use VP Ultimate-4 race fuel, and it is actually LOWER octane than some pump gas... so racing gas isn't "just higher octane fuel". U-4 also happens to contain lead, as do many other race fuels.

Race fuels are formulated for different levels of volatility based upon the intended application. Some of them DO have higher octane ratings, but this is simply a byproduct of the development... not the end goal.

Running a higher octane fuel in an engine that doesn't need it actually HURTS the performance. The rule of thumb to follow is that you want to use the lowest octane you can run without pre-detonation, or "pinging".

Honestly, I don't see the neccessity to spend $10/gallon on fuel for your bike when you are riding on the street. It barely makes sense for slow racers like me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
RockyR6 said:
I use VP Ultimate-4 race fuel, and it is actually LOWER octane than some pump gas... so racing gas isn't "just higher octane fuel". U-4 also happens to contain lead, as do many other race fuels.

Race fuels are formulated for different levels of volatility based upon the intended application. Some of them DO have higher octane ratings, but this is simply a byproduct of the development... not the end goal.

Running a higher octane fuel in an engine that doesn't need it actually HURTS the performance. The rule of thumb to follow is that you want to use the lowest octane you can run without pre-detonation, or "pinging".

Honestly, I don't see the neccessity to spend $10/gallon on fuel for your bike when you are riding on the street. It barely makes sense for slow racers like me.
this man speaks the truth! and he's not as slow as he says. he's just overly modest.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top