Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lets go ride
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for all the racers. im a new racer and whats the best oil and oil filter i sould use. not for the street just for the track. and how many laps bfore i change it again. i have a 2001r6.

·
Lets go ride
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and a good link to get it. i dont like going to a rip off dealership.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use silkoline and actually have a scotts reuseable filter, change the oil after every race weekend or track weekend :cheers
sponsorships rock, or indysuperbikes.com

·
Registered
244 Posts
At my local Yamaha dealership, one of the parts guys knows a mechanic that works for Team Yamaha and we all talked about oil. My question was since I live in Arizona where it gets hotter than hell during the summer months, my bike seems to run alot hotter and I wanted to know if I should go with a heavier oil. The guy said no. They use 5W-40 in their race bikes and the oil does not matter for temperature. He said that ANY synthetic oil as long as it is real synthetic oil is good for the bike. He said don't get caught up in brand name. I use royal purple only because I can get it real cheap from a friend. But before that I used the Honda synthetic as I heard it was supposed to be real good.

By the way, the answer to make the bike run cooler was wetter water.... my bike used to run around 181 degrees and now it runs 174 degrees... so I guess wetter water really does work.....

·
Banned
7,347 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
aablueR6 said:
Wetter Water?? how do you get wetter water? do you mean like from a water softning system or something?
It's a replacement to the radiator fluid/coolant used in the bikes....it runs at a cooler temp and doesn't make the track slippery when you wreck....

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
RSixxr said:
aablueR6 said:
Wetter Water?? how do you get wetter water? do you mean like from a water softning system or something?
It's a replacement to the radiator fluid/coolant used in the bikes....it runs at a cooler temp and doesn't make the track slippery when you wreck....
you still have to mix it with water.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mobil1, Red Cap!!!

·
Lets go ride
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys how offten should i change it. every race or track day or less than that. sorry noobie racer.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
blue03r6 said:
RSixxr said:
aablueR6 said:
you still have to mix it with water.
Hence the name of the product......WATER wetter.... :stupic

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
I rev the shit out my R6 during trackdays, so I change my oil after every trackday.

I've read on r6messagenet that Mobil will no longer be selling the 15W-50 high performance oil anymore. So I went to Walmart after work, and it's true. They still have the Mobil red cap, but it's a different viscosity, doesn't say high performance on it, and has the energy conservation stamp on the back.

·
Lets go ride
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lvbluer6 said:
I rev the shit out my R6 during trackdays, so I change my oil after every trackday.

I've read on r6messagenet that Mobil will no longer be selling the 15W-50 high performance oil anymore. So I went to Walmart after work, and it's true. They still have the Mobil red cap, but it's a different viscosity, doesn't say high performance on it, and has the energy conservation stamp on the back.
well let me know what you go too. what oil filter do you use.

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
I use Amsoil 10w-40 for the cold months, and now that Mobil 1 no longer makes the 15w-50, I'll switch to Amsoil 20w-50 for the hotter months. I use the K&N oil filter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use Castrol Superbike R4 Synthetic. Spendy stuff, but works great. I use a K&N Oil filter, good filter and I love the 17mm nut welded to help getting on and off.

I change my oil after every weekend at the track.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts