Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Touchdown!
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your preference on the R6 when it comes to rains on the track (track days and racing)?

I know the options and sizes are limited, but let us know about your experiences with grip, water extraction, longevity, sizing, brand, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Touchdown!
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm was on other boards searching to see what people thought. Time to circle back home and see what the verdict is. Thanks.

·
Touchdown!
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Essentially, that's somewhat of a safe assumption because a tire will need a pathway to disperse water from a wet surface. A slick is smooth with no provisions or grooves leading to a condition allowing a boundary layer to stay in place between the slick and surface possibly creating a hydroplaning condition.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
What if any difference, would there be between the stock Dunlop tire (for example) and another rain-dedicated track tire?

·
Touchdown!
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engineering and R&D behind the tires. The same type of difference you would expect from Dunlop Qualifier, a Metzler Racetec RR K3, a Michelin Power Slick 2, and a Pirelli Superbike SC0.

Different manuafactures all have a different design which correlates differently with each rider. That, and tread design, profile, stickiness, compond, water dispersion, edge grip, feel, and a bunch of parameters.

The few that are on my radar are:

Dunlop Rains (KR189 & KE404)
Metzler Racetec Rains
Michlin Power Rains
Pirelli Diablo Rains

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have never ridden on a FRESH pair of full wets that did not do exactly what they were supposed to do in standing water regardless of brand. My problem is that full wets do not last very long before they aren't doing what they are supposed to do. 6 months of them sitting in your garage between wet weather events leads to a noticeable degradation in performance. Some of them sit around for years before getting used...

As far as Trackday rain tires where it may go full dry and full wet several times throughout the day or occasionally having to instruct in the rain etc I to this very day think the original Pilot Power Tire (NOT THE 2CT Version) is the best wet weather Street tire I have used. In spite of being designed about 20 years ago it is the perfect balance of grip both dry and wet versus street and track with zero changes to pressure nor any need for warmers etc. The one caveat is that they must be scrubbed in prior to trying to ride on a wet surface or you won't get them scrubbed in properly at all on a wet track.

·
Touchdown!
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great to hear. I've had a set of Micheling Pilot Road 3s which is a sport tourning tire, and I always thought they did great in the rain. Granted, I never used them on the track in the wet, and I'm sure I've probably never leaned farther than 30 degrees with them on in the rain.

The ultimate reason for this thread is to aid in choosing the best wet weather/rain tire for a track day or a mock race at the track (possibly a Rookies Cup Middleweight CCS race). I know there are full rains which don't last long, intermidiates, and some really good DOTs.

Let's say for hypotheticals, someone in need of a tire in both light rain with a damp track (no standing water) and constant rain with 1.0mm of standing water, what would the ideal choices be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those Pilot Road series are damn fine tires.

Any Street tire with a higher silica content work better in damp/wetter conditions.

If you are in standing water then you will simply never beat a set of Full Wets. It is something you simply have to try yourself before you will ever believe how much grip they really have in those conditions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts