Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supp folks! I'll be racing this weekend for the first time and wanted to see if anbody who has raced before has any tips? Such as starting off the grid, going into the first corner with all the traffic, launches etc...

I don't really know what to expect but will be attending a race school the day before provided by the org but just wanted some insight from others here on the forum. Possibly past experiences, lessons learned and chit.

I'm not super fast, but A-Group worthy here in the West coast if that says anything. :laugh I'm not gonna be pissy if I don't podium finish as I want to experience this and to better more my riding competitively.

:cheers

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Don't crash. Best tip lol
Srs tho in for answers

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
CVMA! I'm hoping to get licensed out there at some point this year. I'm super slow though - so should be interesting.

Go fast! Don't crash! Have fun!

I wanna hear how your weekend goes though.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
This was my first race evar, and there was a massive crash in the first turn -

Needless to say it was pretty eye opening.

For your first race, just treat it like a trackday so you at least finish and can get rid of provisional status (if your series does that)

Launches take practice, everyone has their sweet spot/technique.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CVMA! I'm hoping to get licensed out there at some point this year. I'm super slow though - so should be interesting.

Go fast! Don't crash! Have fun!

I wanna hear how your weekend goes though.

Yup! CVMA! Ttaking the NRS on Friday. Will do!

This was my first race evar, and there was a massive crash in the first turn -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlFGuES-07U

Needless to say it was pretty eye opening.

For your first race, just treat it like a trackday so you at least finish and can get rid of provisional status (if your series does that)

Launches take practice, everyone has their sweet spot/technique.
:eek5

Yeah, I'm gonna be relaxed and I'm competitive, but not where I become all pissed off and shiit. It's my first race, I just don't wanna be last. :fact :lmao

I just wondered how people dice through and go through the first turn with all the traffic. But your vid was like WOAH!

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Be fast as fcuk. :fact

Really though, I'm not blisteringly fast, unless I'm between the sheets... :laugh

I raced the end of last year, starting off the grid I struggled and played catch up. So the launch is pretty key. Starting out, you won't get the jump on anyone... First race I was in LOW rpm(wasn't REALLY ready to go) so I got a late start and played catch up. Passed a couple people, but didn't podium. The other races I STILL struggled with the race starts. So to sum it up, try, but don't really worry about the launch. Trying to get a good launch with no practice could end up with you looping the bike off the start and nobody wants that. So get it up to 6-8k for the launch and SLOWLY, VERY SLOWLY let out the clutch... The ride your own ride. Pass safely, etc. Best thing to do in any race is focus on YOUR line... Holding your lines and getting the best drive out of every corner will have you doing pretty well out there. Drive out is where I beat most guys in my "class".

At the end of the day, go out and have fun with it! Run a GoPro and study what you did wrong and work at it. You're not going to be some AMA racer out of the gates... Nobody is. There will be a learning curve. Don't go out in your first race and go full bore and get yourself hurt. Races ARE intense, and even more fun then trackdays, but the pace overall is TOUGH and much faster then you'll find yourself going during trackdays. There's that added competition that will have you pushing it, so just be careful and have fun!

I raced three times in a day last year at the end of the season and was more exhausted after two 7 lappers, and one 12 lapper then I had ever been after a trackday, or track weekend for that matter. So hydrate and eat lightly all day as well. Keep yourself from fatigueing badly. Being fatigued WHILE racing will end badly for you, and possibly others...

After reading that, keep in mind, I'm no pro, not by any stretch. Just giving you my advice starting out. I plan to race this whole season though. Already took a two day race school and headed out March 9-10 for the season openner. Looking forward to it! You'll have a fcukin blast! Just focus on your ride, your lines, and stay smooth on your inputs... I practically looped mine the second race... You don't want to do that...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Here's another start for you, it's really not too bad if you get a good start. You will touch elbows at least once this year.

This would've been my second race start ever and again just trying to finish -

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Here's my first race ever last year... as you can see, I was painfully slow... I was amped up, yet scared shitless...

Jump to 3:00 for the race (horrible) start...

As you can see at the first corner, not carrying as much speed as usual, I used my same braking point and entered waaay too slow. So keep that in mind also...

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
If you jump to 10:00 or right there about you can see I catch up to, and finally pass the guy on the last lap... :laugh

So I was in 4th place... Couple guys behind me. Didn't expect to finish first, but God damn it felt good not to be last!

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Here's my second race that day... A little bit better start, but a much faster grid... Jump to 3:30...

Either way, I had fun, and I wasn't last...

I look painfully slow, but I've already gotten better with the two day race school under my belt this year. Hoping to at least podium at some point...

·
roaming gnome
278 Posts
1. Races are rarely won in the first turn and often end there.
2. First, you must finish in order to finish first.
3. Hydrate
There's a lot of other advice that I used to give out when I was instructing new (car) racers but it's been awhile. Try not to get too amped up at the start. natedogg said it well, treat it like another trackday. Just with a more exciting start, lol.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
1) have fun
2) compete only against yourself, try to beat your best lap every lap.
The only time I have ever been "fast" for me is when I am in a rhythm & not trying to keep up with anyone.
The more you focus on others the more likely you are going to bin it. Keep the mind free and clear I say, but that's just my 2cent.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Supp folks! I'll be racing this weekend for the first time and wanted to see if anbody who has raced before has any tips? Such as starting off the grid, going into the first corner with all the traffic, launches etc...

I don't really know what to expect but will be attending a race school the day before provided by the org but just wanted some insight from others here on the forum. Possibly past experiences, lessons learned and chit.

I'm not super fast, but A-Group worthy here in the West coast if that says anything. :laugh I'm not gonna be pissy if I don't podium finish as I want to experience this and to better more my riding competitively.

First race is always super exciting! Try to have fun and finish safely :) Once the first race is out of the way it is a great idea to start working on specific riding skills that will help you become a better, safer and faster rider. The key thing though is to pick on one or two things at a time to work on and to not try to go out and fix everything.

People will tell you that you have to; brake deeper, throttle harder, turn quicker, apex tighter etc and it can get pretty overwhelming. Best idea is to take one thing, like working on improving your throttle control for a few practice sessions, then pick another thing and so on.

At each race weekend I tried to have a plan of attack, a list of things in order I wanted to work on and I would keep track of my progress from there.

have fun and shiny side up!

Misti

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Battling for position slows you down. Plan your passes ahead of time and learn where each rider is weak...entry, exit, corner speed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
First off, look forward to seeing you out there this weekend! Quite a few entries already so it should be a good weekend. I raced for the first time with CVMA last month and needless to say, I'm hooked.

Now as far as wanting to podium, unless you've ran at chuck before and were turning 55's or around there don't expect it. We have some quick guys in the middleweight classes. My best I turned was a 2:01 and I finished mid pack all weekend.

Like everyone said, go out there and run your own race for now and try and get the hang of things. If you want a tow, just ask. We have a great group of guys out there that are more than willing to help out.

As far as starts go, just try and think of it as a spirited launch from a stop light. The timing will come with practice. When your in the hot pit, the starts have no problem with letting you practice your launches just let them know what you intend to do.

The most important thing this weekend is to have fun! Don't go out there with the mindset to win, it's a good mindset to have in racing, but it's not likely just yet. Your going to have a great time I promise you.

And oh yea, be predictable! The Friday track day scares me more than races. There was multiple instances where people made erratic lines changes, and one time I pulled a nice stoppie coming into turn 5 because some dummy shot from the inside to the outside.

See you at the races! :ride

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts