Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Someone put this in the comments section of that article

I see this as nothing more than Yamaha/Lorenzo's play to say that the 2011 Yamaha is all developed by Jorge to attribute whatever success to Jorge and distance the bike from Rossi. Since the M1 is Rossi's baby the only way to refute the assertion is to assert something slightly plausible and utterly unverifiable.

Common sense says that the bike is not going to be a complete overhaul from 1 year to the next. Certainly not a complete overhaul. More logically a quick cursory view of the Yamaha/Rossi years shows that the bike does not go through a complete overhaul in one year. If memory serves correctly, the M1 only made 1 enormous leap (Rossi's first 990 yr) then 2 material refinements (to the 800 michelins then to 800/bridgestones).

This is a great ploy but it will not stick. Jorge is fast but in fact and in perception, he is inheriting a Rossi's bike.
Personally IMO I'd have to say that for the most part :stupic

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,242 Posts
Personally IMO I'd have to say that for the most part :stupic
To some degree yes, but Rossi's riding style is completely different than anyone elses. Granted, there is no argument that JB and Rossi developed the M1 to be the most balanced and best all round bike in the GP paddock. However, Colin, Bridgestone engineers, Hayden and, yes, even Jorge have all stated that Rossi's settings and/or data don't work for anyone else. Rossi is just different...unbelievably different. One of the most telling and visible way to see this is by looking at a photo of him mid-corner. Where is he looking? Not down track, but almost beside his front wheel. It just shouldn't work! There are probably a hundred other examples that can't be seen.

I don't believe that Yamaha is going to totally revamp the bike for next year because it is the final year for the 800's. They may try to develop stuff for the 2012 bike using the 800 (like Suzuki did unsuccesfully in 2006). But there will be changes to keep up with competition. That happens every year.

Bottom line: I agree with you, but not quite for the same reason. It's just PR smoke. No one wants to be seen as stagnent in a field as competitive as MotoGP.

:cheers

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
To some degree yes, but Rossi's riding style is completely different than anyone elses. Granted, there is no argument that JB and Rossi developed the M1 to be the most balanced and best all round bike in the GP paddock. However, Colin, Bridgestone engineers, Hayden and, yes, even Jorge have all stated that Rossi's settings and/or data don't work for anyone else. Rossi is just different...unbelievably different. One of the most telling and visible way to see this is by looking at a photo of him mid-corner. Where is he looking? Not down track, but almost beside his front wheel. It just shouldn't work! There are probably a hundred other examples that can't be seen.

I don't believe that Yamaha is going to totally revamp the bike for next year because it is the final year for the 800's. They may try to develop stuff for the 2012 bike using the 800 (like Suzuki did unsuccesfully in 2006). But there will be changes to keep up with competition. That happens every year.

Bottom line: I agree with you, but not quite for the same reason. It's just PR smoke. No one wants to be seen as stagnent in a field as competitive as MotoGP.

:cheers

Well said! :cheers

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
Never doubted it for a minute. If I know anything about the Japanese (work with them every day)...nothing's ever finished. Every project is constantly being revised and revamped and redesigned. Anything to squeeze that extra minuscule percentage of performance or efficiency out of a machine or system.

Or...it's just PR smoke. :laugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts