Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fortunate up to this point to not have to deal with the rain on the track but I know it's coming eventually. How do most of the orgs deal with rain as far as running the day? And when it does happen what do you change tips tricks. knowledge is something I lack as I'm a newb to the track scene And don't wanna be overwhelmed when it happens

·
My R6 eats you.
7,565 Posts
If it's just rain, trackday orgs run as scheduled. When it's wet you must be smooth on the gas, and avoid trail braking. Use rain-x or an anti-fog spray on your visor and duct tape a shield over your nose to deflect your breath downward out of your helmet to avoid fogging up.

The biggest issues I had during my first rain race was with visibility, nothing bike related.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Spare set of rims = key investment. Race events will run rain or shine..... even though I didnt use mine last weekend, it was a split decision about 15mns before the race to keep my DOTs on. If I swapped them before with 1 set of rims, I would have been SOL.

Careful with buying used sets.... Rain tires may LOOK like they have a lot of tread left, but the main jagged edges have to be as intact as possible. If the short/start edge of the tread is rounded/smooth = no good or not much life left. The sharp edges make sure that the water is channeled properly.

With a good set of rains, you can run reasonably hard as long as you're smooth.

PS: aim for the puddles :)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
will expand on what Azim says above, and for SURE, ideally you would like a spare set of wheels with rain tires mounted up. If that isn't for you, then just deal with riding DOT tires on a wet track but it is NOT as fun or as safe. If there is any puddles, you pretty much need to not ride without rain tires. TRUE rain race tires.

If you have one set, even slightly worn rain tires are better than dot tires. He is right though, sharp edges of new/good rains are what cut through the water best. Rounded off a bit, or worn is just fine though if there isn't much standing water. You need rains if you see spray coming off the tires of bikes on track. I prefer rains even if a bit dryer than that though.. if the surface is wet, where ALL the DROPS HAVE CONNECTED, i like rain tires. The rubber is very soft and heats up.

Good rain riders run lap timres about 10% or a bit less than than that compared to their dry track lap times.

If you don't have spare wheels, be prepared to loose some track time changing tires as there will be a mad rush to the tire guy as everyone tries to switch em out.

I like to take a couple clicks of "everything" out for the wet. You can't carry the same corner speed but you CAN brake just as hard when straight up and down. I take a turn of preload out of the front and rear too.. I also put my rain tires on WARMERS for about 10-15minutes too. Don't tell me you can't do that. When you beat me in the rain, then tell me what i can-can't do with rain tires :)

Riding in rain:
brake while straight up, don't trail brake.
Be SMOOTH, think SMOOTH
Shortshift.. as in don't rev to 15,000 as you risk breaking the rear tire loose.
Work up to higher rpms, but shortshift in corners and exits where your still leaned a bit.
Hang off a bit more, hold the bike up a bit more in the corners.
SMOOTH, worth saying again.
Hit big puddles straight up and down, don't do much of anything else.
Stay OFF any paint, or go over it straight up n down, neutral throttle.
Don't make ANY sudden inputs in the bars, gas, brakes, etc. (That smooth thing again. )
Put some rain-x on your helmet visor.
consider wearing a raincoat but ducttape anything loose, if it flaps it's gonna tear off.

riding in the rain is fun, and can make you a better rider.

www.proflowtech.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Around here groups run rain or shine. If they decide it is not safe to ride then a day can get shut down. It sucks but it is just part of the deal. I have only had one trackday cut short because of rain (this was a car day) and one cut short because the wind was making the track unsafe (corner workers could not do their job because they were being sand blasted :thumbdown).

We generally plan our trackdays around when we think their will be rain or extreme heat.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I actually love racing in the rain. I'm old, smooth and experienced, so it usually gives me an edge on the young aggressive guys. I almost won a solo endurance race a few years ago in the pissing rain on Miller's full course. 150 mph on the straight and raining so hard I couldn't read the numbers on the braking markers. I didn't even realize I was out front. lol

We race and do track days in the rain, but some organizations don't. I believe AFM cancels racing if it rains, but not sure. Most track will still charge a track day provider if it rains, so they'll keep riding.

You get amazing grip from real rain tires. But they burn up super fast in the dry ... like a lap or two. DOT race tires are sketchy in the rain, but many regular DOT tires aren't bad. I soften my suspension a bit, but that's not required.

Be smooth and have fun! If it's not comfortable, don't ride over your head.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I definitely need a rain day to practice on.... time to reverse weather watch.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
will expand on what Azim says above, and for SURE, ideally you would like a spare set of wheels with rain tires mounted up. If that isn't for you, then just deal with riding DOT tires on a wet track but it is NOT as fun or as safe. If there is any puddles, you pretty much need to not ride without rain tires. TRUE rain race tires.

If you have one set, even slightly worn rain tires are better than dot tires. He is right though, sharp edges of new/good rains are what cut through the water best. Rounded off a bit, or worn is just fine though if there isn't much standing water. You need rains if you see spray coming off the tires of bikes on track. I prefer rains even if a bit dryer than that though.. if the surface is wet, where ALL the DROPS HAVE CONNECTED, i like rain tires. The rubber is very soft and heats up.

Good rain riders run lap timres about 10% or a bit less than than that compared to their dry track lap times.

If you don't have spare wheels, be prepared to loose some track time changing tires as there will be a mad rush to the tire guy as everyone tries to switch em out.

I like to take a couple clicks of "everything" out for the wet. You can't carry the same corner speed but you CAN brake just as hard when straight up and down. I take a turn of preload out of the front and rear too.. I also put my rain tires on WARMERS for about 10-15minutes too. Don't tell me you can't do that. When you beat me in the rain, then tell me what i can-can't do with rain tires :)

Riding in rain:
brake while straight up, don't trail brake.
Be SMOOTH, think SMOOTH
Shortshift.. as in don't rev to 15,000 as you risk breaking the rear tire loose.
Work up to higher rpms, but shortshift in corners and exits where your still leaned a bit.
Hang off a bit more, hold the bike up a bit more in the corners.
SMOOTH, worth saying again.
Hit big puddles straight up and down, don't do much of anything else.
Stay OFF any paint, or go over it straight up n down, neutral throttle.
Don't make ANY sudden inputs in the bars, gas, brakes, etc. (That smooth thing again. )
Put some rain-x on your helmet visor.
consider wearing a raincoat but ducttape anything loose, if it flaps it's gonna tear off.

riding in the rain is fun, and can make you a better rider.
That's funny.. Every single tire guy I've EVER talked to specifically said that you should NOT run warmers on rain tires. Not even MotoGP guys run warmers on rain tires. You're pretty quick though, so you probably know everything. Right? :rolleyes:

OP, just be as smooth as possible. Try to get the bike upright ASAP.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,565 Posts
I actually love racing in the rain. I'm old, smooth and experienced, so it usually gives me an edge on the young aggressive guys. I almost won a solo endurance race a few years ago in the pissing rain on Miller's full course. 150 mph on the straight and raining so hard I couldn't read the numbers on the braking markers. I didn't even realize I was out front. lol

We race and do track days in the rain, but some organizations don't. I believe AFM cancels racing if it rains, but not sure. Most track will still charge a track day provider if it rains, so they'll keep riding.

You get amazing grip from real rain tires. But they burn up super fast in the dry ... like a lap or two. DOT race tires are sketchy in the rain, but many regular DOT tires aren't bad. I soften my suspension a bit, but that's not required.

Be smooth and have fun! If it's not comfortable, don't ride over your head.
I almost podiumed my very first race which was in the rain, except my visor was fogged up so bad I ended up braking way to early and lost 3 spots. Live and learn.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Track Days,

If it starts to rain during the session they will red flag it.

Generally they will let people ride in light to moderate rain. If there is significant standing water they wait it out or cancel.

If you are running a street/track tire like the Q2, you can go out. Go slow and learn about traction. I find by riding in the rain, it is easier to manage traction as the track drys. You kind of figure out which spots are slick as snot when wet.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
That's funny.. Every single tire guy I've EVER talked to specifically said that you should NOT run warmers on rain tires. Not even MotoGP guys run warmers on rain tires. You're pretty quick though, so you probably know everything. Right? :rolleyes:

I sat in several WSBK garages last week where they DID run warmers on their rain tires. Most were set at about 30-40c, so WAY cooler than regular race tires (about 80c)

That said, I've never run warmers on my rains. They cool off so fast it hasn't mattered.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

Sir, you would be DEAD WRONG about that. Seriously, you don't know what your talking about im afraid .. MotoGP definately DOES run warmers on rains, as does WSBK, WSS, etc. That's a fact Jack :) Watch the races closely, on races where they start on dry tires, then the flags come out signaling it is ok to change bikes mid race but it wont' be canceled, the teams roll the spare bike with rain tires on WITH WARMERS! But i don't just make ASSUMPTIONS, i know some guys over there and talk with them to get info..

Why do track side vendors tell you to NOT run warmers?? Because they don't want some idiot to MELT the SOFT rubber of a rain tire then come back bitching they want money back.. ! Comprendo?? :) RAIN TIRES GET WARM! if you are even mildly good in the rain, SO WHY THE HECK DO YOU NOT WANT A WARM TIRE TO GO OUT ON ?? Hmmmmm... Makes ya think don't it??

I have won A BUNCH of rain races. This weekend in fact at PBIR. Set the pole time at Barber in the proASRA race a few years back too on an 05r6 on rain tires. We here in Florida get FRIGGIN GOOD in the rain, trust me.. LOL

www.proflowtech.com

I sat in several WSBK garages last week where they DID run warmers on their rain tires. Most were set at about 30-40c, so WAY cooler than regular race tires (about 80c)

That said, I've never run warmers on my rains. They cool off so fast it hasn't mattered.

Thanks, just saw your post about that backin up my claim to mr. "i have no idea what im talking about but gonna post anyway".. :) No offense pickpocket..
PUT WARMERS on them! trust me, sure the surface cools as you go out but you want HEAT in the carcas and in the rim so the rubber will warm up faster as you get rolling. do you HAVE to run warmes on rains? No, of course not. Is it better to turn em on low/med 15min before you go out? ABSOFRIGGIN-LUTELY. :)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I almost podiumed my very first race which was in the rain, except my visor was fogged up so bad I ended up braking way to early and lost 3 spots. Live and learn.
few tips on that.
1- put some duct tape to bridge the gap between the helmet in front to your nose. This will take a few times to figure out, and pulling it off can hurt a bit..lol.. but it directs your breath out the bottom not onto the visor.
2- BUY a FOG CITY stick on for the visor. Keep it covered in plastic so it won't get scratched when not in use. It is simply a piece of clear plastic that has adhesive around the perimiter, that you stick onto the back of a clear visor. Like skiing goggles, it makes a 2-wall system so it' CAN'T fog.
3-use some rain-x on the visor front.

www.proflowtech.com

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Sir, you would be DEAD WRONG about that. Seriously, you don't know what your talking about im afraid .. MotoGP definately DOES run warmers on rains, as does WSBK, WSS, etc. That's a fact Jack :) Watch the races closely, on races where they start on dry tires, then the flags come out signaling it is ok to change bikes mid race but it wont' be canceled, the teams roll the spare bike with rain tires on WITH WARMERS! But i don't just make ASSUMPTIONS, i know some guys over there and talk with them to get info..

Why do track side vendors tell you to NOT run warmers?? Because they don't want some idiot to MELT the SOFT rubber of a rain tire then come back bitching they want money back.. ! Comprendo?? :) RAIN TIRES GET WARM! if you are even mildly good in the rain, SO WHY THE HECK DO YOU NOT WANT A WARM TIRE TO GO OUT ON ?? Hmmmmm... Makes ya think don't it??

I have won A BUNCH of rain races. This weekend in fact at PBIR. Set the pole time at Barber in the proASRA race a few years back too on an 05r6 on rain tires. We here in Florida get FRIGGIN GOOD in the rain, trust me.. LOL

www.proflowtech.com

Thanks, just saw your post about that backin up my claim to mr. "i have no idea but gonna post anyway".. :) No offense pickpocket..
PUT WARMERS on them! trust me, sure the surface cools as you go out but you want HEAT in the carcas and in the rim so the rubber will warm up faster as you get rolling. do you HAVE to run warmes on rains? No, of course not. Is it better to turn em on low/med 15min before you go out? ABSOFRIGGIN-LUTELY. :)

I don't think you could've been any more of a dick about that response than you were. Thanks for that.

I also like how in this post, just like every other post of yours, you mention how many races you've won, and how awesome you are at riding, blah blah blah. Why not just put that paragraph in your sig and save time? If some of the shit you said didn't seem so outlandish you wouldn't NEED to post up the "I'm awesome, therefore I'm right" right afterwards. ;)

...no offense. :sing

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I don't think you could've been any more of a dick about that response than you were. Thanks for that.

I also like how in this post, just like every other post of yours, you mention how many races you've won, and how awesome you are at riding, blah blah blah. Why not just put that paragraph in your sig and save time? If some of the shit you said didn't seem so outlandish you wouldn't NEED to post up the "I'm awesome, therefore I'm right" right afterwards. ;)

...no offense. :sing

I haven't even BEGUN to be a dick yet bro.. No offense.
If the fact i stepped on your pee-pee after posting FACT rebutting your OPINION from OTHERS, ie: regurgitating info you have no basis for fact about.. that is too bad. Why not be a grown up and state "I HEARD MOTOGP DOESN"T USE WARMERS".. instead you post in a dick-ish fasion: "melk-man, your an idiot, even motoGP doesn't use rains, but you must know all cause you think your fast".. THAT is YOU being a DICK..

22,000 posts? what the hell do you DO all day?? You obviously must not ride much... (that is me being a dick). :)
Instead of BEING a dick, why not let me post the information and LEARN something from it? I assure you i'm a better rider with more experience to pass on (again, me being a dick although posting a fact):)

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
You're starting to get Ryan a little excited with this "dick" talk man..

no offense.

·
RESPECT
29,164 Posts
Neither have I. Just because something was deleted from your signature doesn't mean that you can put it at the bottom of every single post. Consider this your warning. Thanks.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
If the fact i stepped on your pee-pee after posting FACT rebutting your OPINION from OTHERS, ie: regurgitating info you have no basis for fact about.. that is too bad. Why not be a grown up and state "I HEARD MOTOGP DOESN"T USE WARMERS".. instead you post in a dick-ish fasion: "melk-man, your an idiot, even motoGP doesn't use rains, but you must know all cause you think your fast".. THAT is YOU being a DICK..
I'm just trying to make you aware (if you weren't already) of how you come off to others around here.. You might be fast (I'll bet you can probably lap my ass on any track, but who gives a fck) and you might do very well in some races, and you might even know stuff about the bikes you ride.. All that info is more than welcome. When you throw in the "I race and I win sometimes, therefore I am right and you can blow me" attitude in there though, you sound like a tool.. And you're not allowed to sound like a tool without having someone throw it in your face around here until you have at least 10k posts.

No offense. ;)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts