Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
riding in the rain is WAY more about the rider, than which rain tire you use.. but it would make sense to get them from your current track side vendor. get some pointers from a local fast guy at your track. Smooth is the key, and it's best for now to do the braking while upright in the rain.

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that is what you run in the dry, why not?
Went to the Bridgestone site and didn't see a "rain" tire listed. :dunce:

riding in the rain is WAY more about the rider, than which rain tire you use.. but it would make sense to get them from your current track side vendor. get some pointers from a local fast guy at your track. Smooth is the key, and it's best for now to do the braking while upright in the rain.
My local track sells Dunflops. Talking to some guys that used to run a few years back that (like Tdub said) it's best to stick with one company. :confused:

Why bother? You're scurred of the rain anyway. :sing
:321 I just have to remember that when I go down in the rain to hang onto the bike. I learned that from this one prodigy I got the opportunity to ride with once. :laugh

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
well i dont agree about riding the same dry and wet tires. just like with dry tires you have to try them and see what you like best. there actually are alot of options, they have tread design differences, ie regular tread cut and waffle (i believe is how its reffered to) cut. i personally like the waffle cut pirellis even though i ride dunlop gpa slick drys. pirrellis have a little more of a spongy feeling that i love in the rain. best bet is to just pick some up and see what you like. only thing i recommend is that you make sure to check the prod. date before you buy only because rains get used less obviously, so they have a tendancy of getting left around.

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did see those. :nono What are the differences?

well i dont agree about riding the same dry and wet tires. just like with dry tires you have to try them and see what you like best. there actually are alot of options, they have tread design differences, ie regular tread cut and waffle (i believe is how its reffered to) cut. i personally like the waffle cut pirellis even though i ride dunlop gpa slick drys. pirrellis have a little more of a spongy feeling that i love in the rain. best bet is to just pick some up and see what you like. only thing i recommend is that you make sure to check the prod. date before you buy only because rains get used less obviously, so they have a tendancy of getting left around.
What do the different tread designs do? Is one better traction than another?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i honestly see no reason to stay with one company for rains.. they are SO different that there is simply zero relevance to the DOT/Slick (no offense Tdub :) ). As i stated, the only reason i would go with the trackside vendor is to keep up good relations. If you are not at the track a ton, then get whatever tires you want, from whomever you want.. Again, rains have nothing in common with the DOT tires.

We do a TON of rain racing here in FL. The michelin Rains are very good.. can google a race tire distributor, i THINK Tommy Mason with Mason Racin would be the nearest to you.. call him up. He's just ice racing on the Wisconsin lakes during this time of the year :)

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i honestly see no reason to stay with one company for rains.. they are SO different that there is simply zero relevance to the DOT/Slick (no offense Tdub :) ). As i stated, the only reason i would go with the trackside vendor is to keep up good relations. If you are not at the track a ton, then get whatever tires you want, from whomever you want.. Again, rains have nothing in common with the DOT tires.

We do a TON of rain racing here in FL. The michelin Rains are very good.. can google a race tire distributor, i THINK Tommy Mason with Mason Racin would be the nearest to you.. call him up. He's just ice racing on the Wisconsin lakes during this time of the year :)
Thanks for the info.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

·
My 600RR headbangs
37 Posts
Metzeler has a rain tyre which performs very well based on some feedback I got from those who ran it, but unfortunately I can't recall the exact model, I would say the highest end rain tyre to err on the side of safety.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Picking up a spare set of rims to have just for when it rains at the track but now the decision on rain tires. What do you guys run/recommend?
I *love* racing in the rain. It gives old guys like me a chance. :)

I've raced on the bridgstone, dunlop and michelin rains and I probably like the michelins the best, although it's really hard to compare them because conditions are so different.

I don't know how it is in Florida, but in Utah rain tires just cook when not being used. I wrap mine in plastic bags, tape them closed and leave them in the cool garage when not using them. Leave them in a hot trailer for a month and they're done.

Mine have always lasted a long time when treated well and only used when it's really wet. I'd probably buy whatever pays the best contingency, I guess.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
320 Posts
Rain tires are way fun. Any brand is going to be a good choice. Keep the pressures up. The treads work to maintain traction, more than the tire core flexing to make contact.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts