Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to take the bike camping with me this summer. What's the best way to take it along without breaking the bank. Was thinking a $200 ramp but have seen accidents happen trying to load them.
Looking for ideas or input. I have a ram with the 5.7 box

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
ramp and a buddy, back your truck up to a hill to make it even easier and walk the bike up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ramp and a buddy, back your truck up to a hill to make it even easier and walk the bike up.
:fact

or back into a ditch, find a loading dock at a business, any place with an elevation change...

I have a tri-folding ramp that I can "walk" my bike up/down while being able to keep my feet on the ramp. I highly recommend a wider ramp in case your bike starts leaning so you can put your feet down.

This is like what i use, but I put a strap from one of the middle rungs to my trailer hitch so the back tire doesn't kick it out. (While accelerating up the ramp, the back tire and weight of the bike could push the ramp backwards causing it to slip off the tailgate. while backing it off, hitting the brakes could do the same thing)
http://www.harborfreight.com/super-wide-tri-fold-loading-ramp-90018.html

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Two ramps. One for the bike and one to walk along side it. Idle it up and let the bike do the heavy lifting. Just keep your hands on the brake/clutch. When lowering it back down, cover the brake, and leave the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. That way you can stop it with either hand.

I've done it this way hundreds of times and never came close to dropping it. I find most people drop the bike when: a) more people are involved than necessary and b) they stop the bike halfway up or down.

No need to spend $200 on a ramp. A kit like this with some wood is plenty: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Highland-2-in-x-12-in-Ramp-Top-Kit-0700700/203718652

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Ramp and a folding chair as a step-stool works just fine too. I load and unload my bike solo all the time to get to the track.

Having an extra person or two around the first few times you do it is good. If you decide to run the bike and use the motor to walk it up (slipping the clutch) make sure you tie down the ramp to the truck. It'll spit out the ramp at the top if you let too much clutch out. Ask me how I know.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
I just use one ramp with a second person. Im tall enough that i can hold the clutch and i just have it in gear. Once we get the front up into the back of the truck the second person jumps up in and will take it the rest of the way with me pushing.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I use 1 ramp and walk my bike up. Loaded in less than 4 seconds.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just ride my bike up and down. Give'r gas to go up and brake when coming down.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I'm looking to take the bike camping with me this summer. What's the best way to take it along without breaking the bank. Was thinking a $200 ramp but have seen accidents happen trying to load them.
Looking for ideas or input. I have a ram with the 5.7 box
I load my bike alone. I use a long folding ramp with a tiedown attached to the ram and the hitch. I put a step next to the ramp, fire up the bike, and slowly let the engine walk it up the ramp. I clutch and brake when I need to stop and step up on the step (I use a vp 5 gallon pail or mx stand). Once Im on the step, I let the engine do the work again, but you need the tiedown to keep the ramp there. This is into a quad cab ram lifted 3 inches and on 35s.

The other option is to back up to a hill.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
2 ramps like everyone else said and also invest in a wheel chock to help secure the front wheel to make it easier to strap down the bike.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
2 ramps like everyone else said and also invest in a wheel chock to help secure the front wheel to make it easier to strap down the bike.
I didnt say two ramps...:fact

·
Registered
287 Posts
two ramps. one for the bike and a 2x10 piece of wood I also strap to the vehicle for me to walk up. I start the bike and walk up beside it as I feather the clutch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts