Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I had a pretty bad speed wobble on my R6 doing about 70 MPH down the highway today. Didn鈥檛 go down though fortunately 馃檹.

It was terrifying, but it gave me an idea: what if there was an electronic system aboard the bike (like an ABS or stability control type thing) that would sense when the bike is speed wobbling, and then tell the engine to give the bike a sudden burst of throttle, just enough to pick the front wheel up like an inch off the ground for a split second? My thinking is that this might be able to break the cycle of the handle bars being thrown back and forth from side to side since the weight would be off of them.

For this idea, let鈥檚 pretend that our test bike could do this mini wheelie at any rpm/speed and it鈥檚 on a straight road with no barriers, just so we can focus on the main question of the idea ( whether or not an extremely small wheelie can solve speed wobble)

Do you think this would work? Or could it make it worse? Any thoughts?

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
Well you can't fight a wobble. Some throttle does help but your rig has something loose or bent.

Registered
Sounds like an overly complicated and unnecessary nanny.
There are plenty of motorcycles that you would never experience a "speed wobble" or "tank slapper" and as a side benefit you can ride those motorcycles without protective gear and an unapprovedd DOT soup bowl on your head so the chance of injury is low.

Also if you posed the question for finding an engineered solution for sportbikes... its already been solved...lol.

Registered
Seems to go by more names than hurricanes. It's also referred to as "head shake". Many people buy "steering dampers" as a means of dealing with this.

Knowing the conditions that help create the problem, goes a long way toward preventing it. After first experience, thought about the conditions that created the situation, and actively sought to reproduce the effect, but under more controllable (and therefore less scary) conditions. What I learned is, it's most likely to occur at a slight lean, while hitting a large(r) bump that is not exactly perpendicular to your direction of travel or rather, front tire profile. So expect this with road-wrinkles and large bumps during cornering. Any 'bounciness' in your suspension merely feeds into this phenomenon.

Having a better understanding about the conditions that created them, has helped me to avoid unexpected instances of this.

Registered
Seems to go by more names than hurricanes. It's also referred to as "head shake". Many people buy "steering dampers" as a means of dealing with this.
Knowing the conditions that help create the problem, goes a long way toward preventing it. After first experience, thought about the conditions that created the situation, and actively sought to reproduce the effect, but under more controllable (and therefore less scary) conditions. What I learned is, it's most likely to occur at a slight lean, while hitting a large(r) bump that is not exactly perpendicular to your direction of travel or rather, front tire profile. So expect this with road-wrinkles and large bumps during cornering. Any 'bounciness' in your suspension merely feeds into this phenomenon.
Having a better understanding about the conditions that created them, has helped me to avoid unexpected instances of this.
People buy steering dampers before actually finding out if the problem is even related to suspension. Seen guys riding track days with the forks 2" above the triples and a steering damper and they still crash... Its like building a house with the roof as the foundation. Thats not how its done...ever. Even the simplest conventional forks benefit from proper spring rates , proper fluid height and correct ride height/sag #s. Take the cost of a damper... use 1/2 that money with a qualified suspension tuner... riding will be much more enjoyable. Not all cases can be solved this way but there are lots of alternatives that may exceed a damper kit. Still well worth the money IMHO. Take a brand new bike off the showroom floor and you'd need about $3500 worth of suspension to be top 5 competitive in club racing.

Registered
People buy steering dampers before actually finding out if the problem is even related to suspension. Seen guys riding track days with the forks 2" above the triples and a steering damper and they still crash... Its like building a house with the roof as the foundation. Thats not how its done...ever. Even the simplest conventional forks benefit from proper spring rates , proper fluid height and correct ride height/sag #s. Take the cost of a damper... use 1/2 that money with a qualified suspension tuner... riding will be much more enjoyable. Not all cases can be solved this way but there are lots of alternatives that may exceed a damper kit. Still well worth the money IMHO. Take a brand new bike off the showroom floor and you'd need about $3500 worth of suspension to be top 5 competitive in club racing.
Agreed, 100%. Tires... profile and pressure are also a considerable part of the suspension. A major part of riding skill, is understanding what actions under what conditions have the potential for what effects. Rather than modify my bike, I chose to modify myself. I never bought a damper. Someone turned in front of me two or three years ago which means I had to rebuild the front-end with a new set of forks. I had a bike shop redo the forks I purchased while I literally did all other work... because I know how important suspension is. I don't recall having any instances of head shake sense the rebuild... but I've also been riding "modified" with prior experiences. Still, at times when I've pushed it and it would ordinarily "hint" at head shake, it hasn't.

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
I hit a family of coons this morning leaned over and by golly that traction control that never interferes still stayed quiet. What I did get was front wheel slide with reflex creating a wobble and required letting the grips go to sort it's self out in short order. Indicative of an issue? No. It's called life riding on public roads like a man. Sometimes you have a half second to decide if you want to ride off a thousand foot mountainside or ride out some road hazzard.

Registered
Not sure what it is with animals in the road this morning LoL. Had to come almost to a complete stop for some rascal three times this morning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate all of the responses that you guys have given me, I have certainly learned a lot from this string of posts. Ill take a look at my bike and do some more research to see if i can narrow down exactly what caused my speed wobble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts