Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate has a Yamaha sr400 she just bought. She asked me if I could find her some better tires, but her rear tire is so small there isn't much of a selection. Would I be able to use a tire the same size that's meant for the front on the rear of her bike?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Its not advisable since they are completely different sizes.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I wouldn't. Even if they are the same size, the tread compound in the tire will probably be different than it is supposed to be.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The recommended tire from what I am reading is the battlax bt45 if they even still make that.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
What are you looking for in the tire? What do you mean by "better tires"?

https://www.jakewilson.com/p/1746/19470/Pirelli-Sport-Demon-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

There are pirelli ones. They will probably offer a good bit more grip over stock, but probably wear out faster. They are rated up to 130, which they should probably never see on the sr400. If you want longer life, look into some cruiser tires on there and around the web. If it is the 2015 sr400, there should be some decent choices out there. It won't be as much as the sizes in the 180/55 class, but there should at least be decent choices

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are trying to find something with more grip, and something w/o the center tread line. When she is on the freeway the rain grooves on the road move her back and forth. My gf had this same problem on her ninja 300 and we changed the tires to some Pirellis to fix the problem.

·
ready to race
83 Posts
Michelin has radials for mid size bikes, there call streets. I put a set on the wife's GS500f and they work great rain or shine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts