Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently my 2010 R6 made a rattling/knocking sound when i bleep the throttle. During idle it wasn't that loud but after giving the throttle a twist the sound gets louder and louder when revving thru the rpm.

Decided to open up the engine as i suspect it was either the timing chain was toast or i have a spun bearing. But after checking, chain was fine and tight. Exhaust valve clearance was way out of spec 0.13mm.
Took out the lower engine and take a look on the bearings, everything seems fine.
A little help i'm stuck in a dead end and unsure what is the cause of the problem.

A clip of the sound:

IMG_20200915_214512.jpg
IMG_20200915_214522.jpg
IMG_20200915_214537.jpg
IMG_20200915_214540.jpg
IMG_20200915_214544.jpg
IMG_20200915_214547.jpg
IMG_20200915_214551.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the same as you, I also think it's fine.

On the other hand, you in the video accelerate very little, but that sound seems familiar to me, tell me if it looks like this:

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the same as you, I also think it's fine.

On the other hand, you in the video accelerate very little, but that sound seems familiar to me, tell me if it looks like this:

Regards.
Yeah thats exactly how it sounds like!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Read my topic from beginning to end. Especially page 2.

Camshaft chain noise R6 05

I checked the valves, adjusted two and even changed the camshaft chain tensioner for an APE.

In the end I, and all users come to the conclusion that it is a normal sound. Draw your own conclusions, if you have any future idea or solution, I would appreciate it if you share it with the community.

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read my topic from beginning to end. Especially page 2.

Camshaft chain noise R6 05

I checked the valves, adjusted two and even changed the camshaft chain tensioner for an APE.

In the end I, and all users come to the conclusion that it is a normal sound. Draw your own conclusions, if you have any future idea or solution, I would appreciate it if you share it with the community.

Regards.
I doub that is a normal sound. Something is broken or loose, will take a look with all the endine bearing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are going to measure the clearance between the bearings?Decentration?

In my engine you can see the sound when hot, most likely the same as you. Let's see if any user can shed more light on the issue, since you have opened the engine.

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are going to measure the clearance between the bearings?Decentration?

In my engine you can see the sound when hot, most likely the same as you. Let's see if any user can shed more light on the issue, since you have opened the engine.

Regards.
Yeah. Just ordered plastigauge will do a cleareance check on it.
My engine made the noise no matter hot or cold. The video i recorded was exactly after i start the engine.

Yeah really hope other user could help us out here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have created a new video, I have checked the tensioner and the camshaft chain again, I have achieved this result, is it me or the noise has improved?

There are three parts, the first is from the previous video, the last two are after seeing the tension adjusted.

You will inform us of your progress, for my part you have my support.

Regards.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Noise is heard loudest in these areas.

With a stethoscope it can be appreciated. Any doubt advance comment it.

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update in regards to the issue that i was having. Had an old friend who rebuilds engine for a living to take a look and he told me that its was my engine bearing causing the knock/rattle. Even though the bearing seems fine base from the photos i attach but its actually worn out and if i were to ignore it, the bearings might just giveway and that will cause more damage and probably will need to replace the crankshaft.

Guess i found out the problem and will be ordering all the necessary parts for this rebuild.

Piston was out of spec when i measured, gonna need a new piston but still unsure to go for stock piston or aftermarket like WISECO or JE. Any pointers to which is better and worth it?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
A clip of the sound:
Just listened to this video. That's an actuall knock and is audible during engine deceleration; more so toward the end where the camera/mic is shifted and the video ends. Of course, not all knocks are always sourced from the engine itself.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
878 Posts
Wiseco je and arias. Are all good brands. Used em all at one point or another. Piston slap means you need to check that rod well on both ends. Big end issues likely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts