Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently got a 2006 R6 (US spec). I don't know the bike's previous history but the person I bought it from got it 3 months ago and rode it once, they crashed and completely destroyed the left side fairings. The radiator took a small knock as well and the left side radiator fan doesn't work, other than that, the bike has a few lights that don't work, a leaking brake fluid reservoir and bent rider pegs but it still runs like a beast and handles perfectly.

I'm a little concerned about this rattling noise that it's developed, it sounds like valves or rockers but I'm not entirely sure as I'm an electric forklift technician so I haven't got a huge amount of experience with petrol engines.

Anyone know what this noise might be? I tried attaching a video that I took but it says the file doesn't have an allowed extension, weird, it's an mp4 file so it should work.

There's no misfire but the bike doesn't like to crank over sometimes, I've got to blip the throttle to get it to start and then rev it a little otherwise it dies.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

This is a photo of the fairing damage.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Ewwww that doesn't sound good at all... don't start that ting again until you take it apart to diagnose.

Most optimistic possibility is that the noise is clutch related.

Check to make sure the shifter mechanism hasn't slipped on the splines and is holding the shifter partially dis/engaged.

Engine off, does it behave as expected when shifting through gears?
DOes the clutch/transmission stop you in first gear?
Clutch held in, cranking started, clutch partly released, does the starter motor move the bike?

Run a compression test to compare all the cylinders first.

Next pull the clutch cover off and inspect the clutch basket.

Otherwise you're going to have to pull the timing chain and valve covers off at a minimum.

If it really is valvetrain related, we know what the least optimistic outcome on that would be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for the advice.

I'm not at home at the moment but I'll definitely check that out when I get back later this week and let you know.

Ewwww that doesn't sound good at all... don't start that ting again until you take it apart to diagnose.

Most optimistic possibility is that the noise is clutch related.

Check to make sure the shifter mechanism hasn't slipped on the splines and is holding the shifter partially dis/engaged.

Engine off, does it behave as expected when shifting through gears?
DOes the clutch/transmission stop you in first gear?
Clutch held in, cranking started, clutch partly released, does the starter motor move the bike?

Run a compression test to compare all the cylinders first.

Next pull the clutch cover off and inspect the clutch basket.

Otherwise you're going to have to pull the timing chain and valve covers off at a minimum.

If it really is valvetrain related, we know what the least optimistic outcome on that would be.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes, the sound possibly comes from the valves. Remove the fairing so you have more free space. I have a stethoscope it helps a lot to recognize where the noises come from.

Amazon.com: Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope: Automotive

There are even cheaper ones, if you can't use a wide screwdriver.

I would check what Intuit said open the valve cover and see how the timing is. But surely it is the valve train, of there it may be that the bike does not stay with the engine running, guys correct me if i'm wrong.

Regards.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
@jlcr6 - I completely agree. Stethoscope is a great suggestion. It sounds like valve train noise to me also but personally have been wrong before and was kind of hoping for the best outcome. I've had roller lifters fail on me before but bucket designs are simple; never seen a problem with them short of oil starvation. Any time valves meet piston, as far as I've seen it's always timing related. Crash forces can do some weird things but I wouldn't have anticipated that it would mess with the timing chain tensioner.

Speaking of oil starvation, when someone shreds a clutch, it's been reported that the material can clog up the oil cooler; resulting with an oil starvation and overheat problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts