Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I believe the squid is just the retard that goes around acting like at idiot weaving through traffic at 90 miles an hour ad all that stuff. Most of the time they wear no gear. However I do NOT believe that just because someone does not have full gear on that they are a squid.

I bring this up because I just came back from Colombia, many many people in Colombia rely on motorcycles as there main form of transportation. You rarely see anyone with anything more then a helmet. So are all these countries full of stupid riders?(Most of these riders have been riding there whole entire life every single day)

I also admit I don't wear gear every time I ride, because I lived there for a while and never got used to it. I do have jacket gloves and boots that I wear also.

I just wanted to rant for a little bit that's all.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
good rant and no im guilty of not wearing gear every second of ride time but i never leave my helmet or jacket off. however im not a squid i dont do a 100 mph on the highway i dont pull wheelies in traffic (or at all really) i occasionally open her up on the back roads but nothing to put other people in danger

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I'm sating. I NEVER ride without my helmet of course and I wear my jacket 85% of the time I ride. So no I am not a squid.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Who cares what you call it. If you know the dangers of riding and don't want to lower your risk by wearing gear, you're foolish. Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone should have the right to choose to be a fool if they wish though.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that's the case then the forum is full of fools because most of us have cars but we choose to take the risk of a more dangerous motorcycle.

I know it's good to have gear and wear it and I usually do I'm just trying to say that just because you choose to not wear gear it does not make you an irresponsible and idiot motorcycle driver.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If that's the case then the forum is full of fools because most of us have cars but we choose to take the risk of a more dangerous motorcycle.

I know it's good to have gear and wear it and I usually do I'm just trying to say that just because you choose to not wear gear it does not make you an irresponsible and idiot motorcycle driver.
Say whatever you want in order to rationalize your poor decisions. Like I said, it's your right.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Not sure if I agree. There is a difference in riding casually somewhere without jacket, helmet, & gloves and taking a ride through the twisties with shorts & a t shirt. I wear gear 90% of the time I ride. I dont think it is smart to ride ANYWHERE without gear, but we all do it sometimes. People in other countries can do whatever they want, that does not mean they are making a good decision.

Agreed, but you shouldnt be speeding on the freeway & weaving in & out of cars. Not wearing gear & driving recklessly esp. without proper experience is what makes a squid a squid.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
i believe a squid is one who doesnt wear all the necessary gear but chooses to ride like an asshole and not only put your self at danger, but anyone elses as well. i dont necessarily think that guys who dont wear full gear are squids if they are just puttin around and not doing anything stupid. to each, their own... i believe its their right, even though i dont believe in not wearing full protection unless its 100 degrees outside and in traffic. haha

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok, I believe the squid is just the retard that goes around acting like at idiot weaving through traffic at 90 miles an hour ad all that stuff.

you know, in CA its legal to split lanes aka "weaving through traffic" i go thru cars at 90 mph, why not? if you know you can do it and you have enough room and you are safe go for it...

on the contrary, when you dont wear gear you are a SQUID because all it takes is a serious headshake or wobble throw you off and you are done... roads rip up skin like nothing, please redefine your meanings of the word "squid"

no matter how you drive, if its WITHIN your limits and you know you have a "safe bubble" around you, you can go through cars, you are on a bike you have the space and some areas even allow it legally... but not wearing your gear is what kills.

stunting kills too like on public roads... thats my 2 cents

·
R1+5
507 Posts
"motor-timbits", they just hang out at the "tim hortons" talk to a few buddies with imports and either hang out all day rather then riding and only been riding for 10-20min or so

heard it from a friend he calls them "squid", i find it funny

·
Registered
99 Posts
squid [skwid] Pronunciation Key ,
–noun, plural (especially collectively) squid, (especially referring to two or more kinds or species) squids. any of several ten-armed cephalopods, as of the genera Loligo and Ommastrephes, having a slender body and a pair of rounded or triangular caudal fins and varying in length from 4–6 in. (10–15 cm) to 60–80 ft. (18–24 m).

They are great with butter

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
you know, in CA its legal to split lanes aka "weaving through traffic" i go thru cars at 90 mph, why not? if you know you can do it and you have enough room and you are safe go for it...

on the contrary, when you dont wear gear you are a SQUID because all it takes is a serious headshake or wobble throw you off and you are done... roads rip up skin like nothing, please redefine your meanings of the word "squid"

no matter how you drive, if its WITHIN your limits and you know you have a "safe bubble" around you, you can go through cars, you are on a bike you have the space and some areas even allow it legally... but not wearing your gear is what kills.

stunting kills too like on public roads... thats my 2 cents
You split lanes going 90????

Sounds like a squid to me. And judging by the vid you posted a few days ago I am correct.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i wouldnt say a guy riding without a jacket is a squid. if hes just riding normal not knee draggin or puttin it up on one, then id say no hes not a squid. id say a squid is someone who rides above there means, doesnt respect other riders when in a group ride passing them in a turn etc etc. riding with no gear and weaving traffic, riding with a passenger with no gear speeding and weaving traffic.

i am one that has my helmet and gloves on 100% of the time and jacket about 95% i agree that the 5% i do not have a jacket on its unsafe and not the best decision... but i dont think it makes me a squid if im driving normal.

·
Registered
320 Posts
an other forum im on had a thread similar... ill share some of the results..

a squid is someone that revs their bike at a red light and then stalls out when it turns green, or the person whose daddy bought him a gsxr 1000 for his first bike and he loops it doing a power whe elie

An acronym for:
"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous", or
"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead", or
"Super Quick Until I Die"

SOME ONE that buys a litre bike as ther first bike

stupid , queer , un-trained , inexperienced , dumbass

someone who rides outside of their abilitys, talks their abilitys up, talks about how great they are but can't ride great, or just thinks they are bad ass on a bike, but really aren't

·
Sexy Time
757 Posts
I rode with out a jacket yesterday for the 2nd time. I did ride safe and it was just to the beach and it was freaking hot- we still joked around about being squids for the day, lol.. Oh I live in cali too, its legal to split lanes at like 25 mph or something close to that if the cars are moving below 15mph or at a stand still. splitting at 90 makes you the worst kind of squid- endangering others!!! If my group sees someone ride like that we hunt them down. Its not weather you are capable of going between two cars at 90- we all are. Its the fact that you wouldnt have time to react or correct course if a bad situation came up. Do us all a favor and please stop- go to the track and unleash if you feel the need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ah...it might be legal to "split" lanes in CA, but is it legal to go 90, let alone do that safely...I don't think so...Sounds like you are trying to impress people with your stupidity. Hey, isn't that part of the definition of a squid.

Sorry buddy, your just making the rest of us look bad in my opinion when you pull shit moves like splitting cars at 90mph.

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
Highway, bakcroads, twisties and hard riding W/O a gear = SQUID

Just around the area, i.e store, work(close distance,) W/O a gear = Not Squid.

·
What!?!
94 Posts
Is the word squid just related to sport bike riders riding like dumbasses without the proper gear or are the old guys out on thier Harleys for a Sunday ride in shorts, flip flops and Vet hats considered squids as well?

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
Ok, I believe the squid is just the retard that goes around acting like at idiot weaving through traffic at 90 miles an hour ad all that stuff. Most of the time they wear no gear. However I do NOT believe that just because someone does not have full gear on that they are a squid.

Gotta mostly agree with ya. You'll find a counter argument for everything though.

1. Even those riding for years get in accidents
2. 75% of accidents happen within 2 miles of home (when we all just have shorts and t-shirts on)

But I think if you have shorts on and you drive conservativley. That's fine by me. If you plan on driving through the twisties 2 hours in shorts and a beater you're dumb.

If you're in full gear and weaving in and out of traffic at 90 you're dumb. It all just depends...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts