Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, ive been lurking around for a few years while I got my life re-adjusted, sadly had to sell my 04 Japanese r6s that brought me here, now I am getting married and the wife and I are getting back into the motorcycle scene, looking for some ideas and opinions to bounce around.

I love......LOVE the look of ducati's single sided swing arm superbike family, some of the best looking bikes on the planet if you ask me (996, 998, 1098, ect.) ive been over at the ducati.ms forum asking around and getting to know the brand since we are definitely getting the wife a monster (cant find anything that piques her interest the way that one does) for me she is willing to let me get pretty much whatever I want as long as im careful (no tickets no problem) so my question is what should I get ducati vs Yamaha, I loved the r6 but im a little unsure about buying one again since my wallet is going to have more spending power this time (coming out from under some major debt, will have a budget for buying of about 7-10k) definitely looking on the used market.

currently im commuting on a 03 Suzuki savage and its cool enough but starting to lose its novelty quickly, I miss 80d lol.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
hi all, ive been lurking around for a few years while I got my life re-adjusted, sadly had to sell my 04 Japanese r6s that brought me here, now I am getting married and the wife and I are getting back into the motorcycle scene, looking for some ideas and opinions to bounce around.

I love......LOVE the look of ducati's single sided swing arm superbike family, some of the best looking bikes on the planet if you ask me (996, 998, 1098, ect.) ive been over at the ducati.ms forum asking around and getting to know the brand since we are definitely getting the wife a monster (cant find anything that piques her interest the way that one does) for me she is willing to let me get pretty much whatever I want as long as im careful (no tickets no problem) so my question is what should I get ducati vs Yamaha, I loved the r6 but im a little unsure about buying one again since my wallet is going to have more spending power this time (coming out from under some major debt, will have a budget for buying of about 7-10k) definitely looking on the used market.

currently im commuting on a 03 Suzuki savage and its cool enough but starting to lose its novelty quickly, I miss 80d lol.
I went from an 08 R6V to a 2010 848. After three years of ownership, the Ducati has cost me significantly more in terms of maintenance, even though I have only put 1800 miles on it. I spent less on maintenance in 12k miles of the R6. And I didnt have to change timing belts every two years to the tune of $400+. And I didnt have to have the gas tank replaced under warranty for issues with swelling related to ethanol and composite tanks. And that was after dumping probably $40 in gas on the ground in my garage. And funny thing, the tank is dimpling again, a mere 1300 miles after replacement, 2 years later, almost 12 months of which was on stands in the garage under a cover with NO gas in the tank. I also, in many oil changes on the R6, never found metal particles on my drain plug or in my screen filter. After I had to take like 20 fasteners off to get to the oil change. And its not really comforting when people say that the bike shedding metal from the gearset is normal. The number of fcuks I give about the words common and normal when I am pulling ferrous metal off of my drain plug on a 2297 mile motorcycle is dangerously close to zero.

Some of the other issues are a push, or can be chalked up to different. Worth noting, however, are some minor annoyances with the 848. The contour of the upper ensures that at either steering extreme (parking lots?) you can expect to smash your hand between the upper and the clip on. You need a special tool for seemingly everything. Its essentially impossible to push start. The rear cylinder absolutely FRIES your ballsack and balloon knot should you ever have the misfortune of being stuck in traffic lights. Parts of any kind are laughably eye-opening in price. Seriously. And Im not a huge fan of the feel-less hydro clutch or the incredibly tall first gear that requires clutch work in parking lots. Or that you have to pay $15k to get a middleweight without a fcuking slipper clutch. And the engine, while fast and decent sounding, is fcuking blah and boring after being on an R6. The R6 has a soulful character, one that is exciting every time. I just dont get that on the 848, which leads me to focus on the extreme wrist angles, and hardness of the upholstered wooden seat. And I dont know who came up with the stock brake pad compound, but I have literally never seen a pad that makes as much dust as they do. Unreal. And to get it really set up for the track, its expensive to clean up the suspension and handling to get it to the R6's level. Quite honestly, I have yet to ride a bike I have had as much fun on as the current R6. It really is an amazing piece of machinery.

There are some upsides though. The 848 gets you in the Ducati club, it looks divine and fast even standing still. You can stand in your garage and enjoy the view. Often. It does sound amazing, and wheelies are effortless fun. You can lean back on a 2nd gear corner exit, blast open the throttle, and ride the wave. And people will always talk to you about your bike and look. Even the police. And the dealer experience is unquestionably better.

There are perks, but the Ducati superbike is not a great bike. For living with, I wish I had my R6 back. Which is why my Duc is for sale, likely to be replaced with another R6. Though that new R1.......Even the wife was like, "That new R1 though....." And she wants a monster.

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
holy crap its good to see you still around here red, not sure if you remember me. I am having the same pangs for that new r1, holy crap. im definitely gonna have another r6, atleast for a little bit, itll go good with the smoker I want, thanks for the insight about the 848, I really feel for you man that blows. any thoughts on the zrx1200r?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
^ Not often will you find people that drop a chunk of change on a car/bike/whatever, and have them talk bad about it - whether it's actually just that good, or they don't want to admit they spent so much money on a car/bike and been so disappointed. Thanks for the honest review...all the Ducati complaints are almost always the same things you talked about.

I know my buddy dropped his 1098 and picked up a KTM 1190 to race. He loves the KTM and is never going back to Ducati. He must have bitched for 20 minutes about how much of an ass pain it is to just remove the shock on the Ducati... :lmao

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have gotten a lot of bad feedback about the superbikes, the air cooled monsters are apparently the tits if you don't want any more performance, but the superbikes are just total cantankerous bitches it seems. but yet again im in the club with all the guys that already own them when I say that they're sooooooooo beautiful, wife has to drag me away from every 1098 we see in public cuz ill just lock eyes with it and circle it for hours.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Honestly, I would own another Ducati, and I havent gotten overly serious about selling this one. Were I to pick another Duc, though, I would forego the Superbikes and get a Hypermotard or the new Multistrada. Those are fcuking bad ass bikes, dude. The Multi doesnt get the respect it deserves, at all.

It also doesnt hurt that I have two Ninjas and a 2 smoke dirty bike in the garage....

I still like the Duc, don't get me wrong, but I figure its better offer the honesty of ownership rather than perpetuate the dream if its just that, a dream. The 848 is fcuking bad dude, I promise you that. It is rock solid, the brakes are certainly decent. The features are pretty neat, and it makes you feel like you have notched a little success in your life. Its pretty fulfilling. Once you overlook the fact that the transmission feels more like that of a sloppy Harley box than the precise, perfection you are used to on the Japanese bikes. Seriously, the transmission is pretty bad and the throws are giant.

I dont regret owning it. At all. I just should have kept my R6, bought it, and sold my track ninja instead.

Food for thought..... on the picture board in my cubicle directly in front of me right now, I have a picture of every sportbike I have owned, and multiple pics of the R6s I have had. I dont have a single picture of the Ducati. It took me 3 years to get around to taking the emissions canister off. And I worry about dropping it WAY more than any other bike, and it already has been dropped.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I love the honesty in these posts Steph.

I have friends who have had a ducati, and it is the only machine other than my 69 Camaro that strikes up a conversation with literally everyone and anyone. Ducati's certainly are a sex object.
It is what it is, my friend. I dont go to enough Ducati Owners Club meetings to have had the propaganda flow forth freely yet.

I bought it because I wanted it and found the experience was worth it, even if there are better bikes out there. But then, we all know that the Ferrari isnt the fastest thing in the world, doesnt stop us from lusting after it. Or change its cost of ownership. Or that they rattle your fillings out on the shitty CA expressways. If your dream is to have an Italian in the garage, I say do it while you can. Were my Duc to sell right this moment, I wouldn't look back and feel like I had made a mistake in owning it.

And hey, maybe I end up keeping it and slapping on a big bore kit, cleaning up the trans a little, firing on some race glass, and going for a rip or two at the track.

Oh, and do not, under any circumstances, attempt to try and drag race your 848 with a hard, clutch slipping launch. Yowzers...

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
It is what it is, my friend. I dont go to enough Ducati Owners Club meetings to have had the propaganda flow forth freely yet.

I bought it because I wanted it and found the experience was worth it, even if there are better bikes out there. But then, we all know that the Ferrari isnt the fastest thing in the world, doesnt stop us from lusting after it. Or change its cost of ownership. Or that they rattle your fillings out on the shitty CA expressways. If your dream is to have an Italian in the garage, I say do it while you can. Were my Duc to sell right this moment, I wouldn't look back and feel like I had made a mistake in owning it.

And hey, maybe I end up keeping it and slapping on a big bore kit, cleaning up the trans a little, firing on some race glass, and going for a rip or two at the track.

Oh, and do not, under any circumstances, attempt to try and drag race your 848 with a hard, clutch slipping launch. Yowzers...
Out here the owners club buys out a full weekend with my TD org. I manage to get into it as a coach. It is amazing to see the people and what they roll in with. It's cool to hear first hand from a regular joe about the bike instead of hearing everything the sales brochure has listed. :laugh And it's even better hearing real feedback from someone who can ride.

I did meet some really really nice people though. I pitted up next to a few superleggera owners and made some good friends. And I was a witness to a high side of a Desmo while coaching the intermediate guys.

It would be a cool club to be a part of man. They book out tracks and run half the amount of riders. They are super nice in most cases. They get group rates on rooms that we try to lie and say we are part of the club too. :laugh

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good stuff to hear chief, and red I think I will definitely take that advise, mabey one of the larger monsters for me but the superbikes are basically out, god I love the looks tho, I may own one for a while just to do it but I gotta love talking to ppl that are living it, ive had a few guys over at the ducati.ms forum tell me that the best bikes they've ridden/raced are r6 or r1 of this or that year model, im always lolling a little inside when I hear that.

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so for red or smoke dawg and anyone who's owned a lot of r6's, please re-educate me about the prime year models for handling and being able to shave weight :D

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
ok so for red or smoke dawg and anyone who's owned a lot of r6's, please re-educate me about the prime year models for handling and being able to shave weight :D
08+ R6V. /thread

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
You don't buy a Ducati with your head. You buy it with your heart. Even the more "practical" models. As Steph has very thoroughly laid out, there is a higher level of cost to owning one. Even the Monsters that your wide is interested in. They are fantastic bikes...until it is time to do a valve adjustment. Here's a tip when looking at Monsters: find out how close they are to a valve adjustment being due...or how over due they are. That may be why it is for sale.

Don't get me wrong, Ducs move me in a special way, not only in appearance, but in performance. But, you need to know what is entailed in actual ownership before embarking down that path.

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks 8ball, so 08+ r6 is that supposed to be a link red? personally I love the look of the monsters as well, I totally understand how you don't buy duc's with your head ive just been trying to figure out if I would be willing to deal with the issues of a duc in my performance bike persuits and im starting to think not, another r6 or an r1 should scratch that itch, ill steal her monster from time to time im sure and im definitely gonna build my hybrid stinkwheel *evil laugh*

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
So this morning, I was out in my garage, hanging out like I do most every morning before the wife and kid get up. I like to sit out there, in this seat we pulled from the in-laws TSX, chilling out and getting my mind right for the day. There is nothing that sucks about sitting there, feeling the cold air, staring at my Italian mistress. Nothing. It is a good feeling, taking in the sexy, subtle, soft lines. You get the feeling that there was a different way of doing things with this one, one that bucks the norm, but still gets the job done admirably, and with a style and panache not matched by offerings originating outside of Bologna. It definitely makes you feel a little special. Its nice to take in some of the small things, like the overengineered steering stem nut. They could have made it look just like every other nut. Just like every other nut on every other bike, and no one would notice, or care if they did. But they didnt, they took a stab at perfecting the visual, and did so quite nicely. The craftsmanship of the bike is nice, the colors classic, and the shape conveys velocity and strength, but remains sexy, as if touched at the right time in the right place by a loving female.

My 848 sits next to, I shit you not, one of the fastest middleweights around. Our big bore 674 Ninja is fast, and I mean fast. It has a whole army of go fast and be pretty parts on it. it has a motor that costs more than a brand new 450 dirtbike. It has sexy wheels and pretty paint and I have spend a metric fcukload of money on it. And I dont even look at it, unless Im looking past it or around it to see another part of the 848 next to it.

There are less tangible things than lap times, sticker prices, and standard features, for sure. But some of the most important and valuable pieces of my motorcycling experience are not the most tangible or quantifiable. People dont see the smile I have on my face in my garage sitting in a car seat on the floor puffing out a doober and enjoying the view, or understand the feeling you get from parking one of your true dreams in your garage, owned free and clear. Those are experiences you cant describe, or help others understand the feeling of.

Part of, maybe even the biggest part of, owning a motorcycle is how that motorcycle moves you. The R6 is a hard act to follow, its that good. But the Ducati is willing to give up a little in order to set itself apart. Ducati acknowledges and caters to the notion that style is as important to loving your bike as how it performs is.

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow red, I definitely feel you. ive got a few itches im gonna have to scratch in this area, the rd is one of them, always gonna love the r6 and I may end up holding onto one when I get the chance to snatch up an 08+ model, still not sure what the v is, I did find out that they continued to make the s apparently, not sure why. but I feel a ducati is in the future too, not sure what one it'll be but I can certainly commiserate with your post, I feel nothing for the ninja line, im oddly drawn to the zrx but that's about it from Kawasaki's 4-strokes, the ducati's speak to me, all of em tho, especially the monsters and the superbikes, the latest piece that jumped out at me was the rear brake lever for the 1098, is beautiful and hidden on the right side lower frame partially obscured by the fairing but its gorgeous, I want a 1098 really freakin bad lol. but at the moment I want an rd more. I wanna own the raw hooligan clinical madness that is a two stroke street machine. gotta get the project together with the builder in Chicago but its gonna be a rd 350 rolling on ninja 250 suspension, race tech cartridge emulators up front and probably an after-market shock out back eventually, custom subframe and adjustable triple trees and a super crazy weight reduction program, no battery, cdi ignition, if I go completely insane marchesini wheels, some bad ass rubber and some good pipes........I cant shake the two stroke drug, especially the air cooled ones, might eventually dump it and get an rz350 but we will see. an r6 needs to be back in my life tho, after the last few days thinking about it its gonna have to happen. like you said red, a hard act to follow.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
wow red, I definitely feel you. ive got a few itches im gonna have to scratch in this area, the rd is one of them, always gonna love the r6 and I may end up holding onto one when I get the chance to snatch up an 08+ model, still not sure what the v is, I did find out that they continued to make the s apparently, not sure why. but I feel a ducati is in the future too, not sure what one it'll be but I can certainly commiserate with your post, I feel nothing for the ninja line, im oddly drawn to the zrx but that's about it from Kawasaki's 4-strokes, the ducati's speak to me, all of em tho, especially the monsters and the superbikes, the latest piece that jumped out at me was the rear brake lever for the 1098, is beautiful and hidden on the right side lower frame partially obscured by the fairing but its gorgeous, I want a 1098 really freakin bad lol. but at the moment I want an rd more. I wanna own the raw hooligan clinical madness that is a two stroke street machine. gotta get the project together with the builder in Chicago but its gonna be a rd 350 rolling on ninja 250 suspension, race tech cartridge emulators up front and probably an after-market shock out back eventually, custom subframe and adjustable triple trees and a super crazy weight reduction program, no battery, cdi ignition, if I go completely insane marchesini wheels, some bad ass rubber and some good pipes........I cant shake the two stroke drug, especially the air cooled ones, might eventually dump it and get an rz350 but we will see. an r6 needs to be back in my life tho, after the last few days thinking about it its gonna have to happen. like you said red, a hard act to follow.
Sorry. Made it to the part of you talking about building a custom bike using Ninja 250 suspension and started laughing too hard to continue on.

:lmao

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its well supported, don't knock it till you try it. curb weight on most bikes built like this is around 265 full fuel tank, less if you get serious about shaving weight. also, check out youtube if you don't know what a ninja250 can do at the track, its an eye opener for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts