Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all members who have an 03 r6-

Cliff notes: Recall is no longer valid and you have to pay to have the service done.

I had my coils replaced today bu was given some unfortunate inf for anyone who hasnt had them replaced. It turns out that the coil recal wasnt actually a recall, yamaha considered it a factory sponsored upgrade program or something like that. This program was good for 5 years and and has been discontinued as of Jan. 1, 2008. After this point, owners will have to pay for the coils to be replaced. i got mine done this morning because my tech convinced the service manager that id been having the problem and just not had a chance to get the bike in. This is just waht my dealer told me, im not sure wether hes just misinformed or not but this is what he told me.

Mods- I posted this here because it will get the most views. Feel free to move or sticky for a week or so if you feel necesary

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
its tends to appear first as a high rpm miss/loss of power. Some report stalling issues along with it.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
wow...glad i got mine done last summer!

·
Registered
131 Posts
what the fu## do you know how much it is to replace the coils at the dealer ship

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not sure of the cost, but i know it wont be cheap. teyl probably charge 3 hours or so and add on parts. symptoms would include a rough idle, missing at high rpm's and under load at low rpms like when taking off from a light

·
Daily Bike Commuter
104 Posts
ill-legal? said:
Can you elaborate as to what symptoms you'd experience if you actually had this problem? I just bought my '03 and it seems to be running fine, but...this worries me a little.
My bike ran fine on my old coils for like 5000 miles but suddenly over a week I was getting a loss of power at all ranges to the point where my bike would actually shut off if I let off the revs. It's not too hard to get in there and change them yourself granted you follow a How-To like I did.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
recalls are for safety purposes. like bolts being loose and falling out where they are not supposed to come loose.
the engine didn't die out. it just ran shitty because the coils were arching to the valve cover/cylinder head.

it was a service bulletin for techs to look at if a bike had any symptoms. if anyone didn't get them replaced that's your fault it has been available since 03. it's been posted here and on every r6 forum I know of. and also on several regular sportbike forums.. you snooze you loose.

I took my bike in just for the hell of it. it wasn't running shitty. but the coils all were burnt through the rubber insulators. It was pretty much a guarantee all bikes need the new ones.

·
Not DoD Blocked
2,339 Posts
wow, i dont see this as selfish at all. 5 years to replace the coils for free. seems pretty generous to me.

·
Ridin' dirty...
155 Posts
Just sucks for me cuz I JUST bought mine on December 24th, so it's not like I knew about it for 5 years and slacked off the whole time or something. :/ I dunno if the previous owners ever had this fixed, and knowing how shady the dealers are around here they'll probably tell me I need it whether or not that's the reality of the situation. :(

I bought a '99 Mustang Cobra back when they first came out, and there was a problem with excess aluminum in the intake manifold and maybe one or two other issues...the car still ran fine, but it wasn't putting out the advertised horsepower and the Cobra's were getting beat at the track by stock Mustang GT's. Ford did the right thing and fixed it as a recall, AND sent out custom leather jackets with your VIN on the inside to thank their customers for being loyal. It says a lot when a company is willing to admit their mistake and fix it, but it said even more to me when they went the extra mile.

·
Will work for track time
19,494 Posts
ill-legal? said:
Just sucks for me cuz I JUST bought mine on December 24th, so it's not like I knew about it for 5 years and slacked off the whole time or something. :/ I dunno if the previous owners ever had this fixed, and knowing how shady the dealers are around here they'll probably tell me I need it whether or not that's the reality of the situation. :(

I bought a '99 Mustang Cobra back when they first came out, and there was a problem with excess aluminum in the intake manifold and maybe one or two other issues...the car still ran fine, but it wasn't putting out the advertised horsepower and the Cobra's were getting beat at the track by stock Mustang GT's. Ford did the right thing and fixed it as a recall, AND sent out custom leather jackets with your VIN on the inside to thank their customers for being loyal. It says a lot when a company is willing to admit their mistake and fix it, but it said even more to me when they went the extra mile.
I agree.

·
I was going how fast????
1,210 Posts
My friend just had his replaced yesterday for free...????? when did they decide this cause they didn't charge him.

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i agree that its unfortunate that the recall is no longer valid but i did have to wait 2 months for them to get the coils in b/c they were back ordered in japan since no one has needed a set in an extended amount of time.
ill, call your dealer and give them your vin and theyll tell you if it has been done already, or just get a mirror and to look on the top of your coils, if they say denso then you have the junk ones. mitsubishis are the replacements.
side note- the nut on the transmission sprocket is an actuall recall, theyr ordering mine rite now

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alabama- mine was done yester day too, i imagine they are doing it because he may have complained before they deadline and the shop just couldnt get him in in time?

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not sure bro, youll have to check with the dealer

·
Komo
104 Posts
I believe they cost about $30 each from the dealer but dont quote me on this....Im glad i just got mine done about 3 months ago...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.