Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original thread: Opening a Kryptonite Lock w/ a Bic Pen

I called Kryptonite (see # below) about this problem today after reading the thread yesterday + being able to reproduce the "bic trick" (on my EV Disc Lock that I purchased in Feb). I described to them that I saw a video demonstrating the technique then I tried it on my own lock and I was able to unlock my lock using a $0.20 bic pen.

They asked for my key number, name and telephone number. The lady on the phone said they have been getting calls about this internet technique all week and are aware of the problem. She said I should be getting a call next week as to what they plan to do.

She also said this doesn't only effect Kryptonite locks but pretty much any cylindrical lock.

If you own a kryptonite lock (or any brand) with a cylinder type key contact the company ASAP.



Kryptonite
1-800-SAY-LOCK (USA)
781-828-6655 (outside USA)
437 Turnpike Street
Canton, MA 02021, USA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Yes this was in are local paper today
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
I don't have a kryptonite lock, I use an OnGuard disc lock with a flat key, but i still can't believe that the locks can be picked by a bic pen....wow! When i first saw that vid i was amazed....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,021 Posts
hey xtopher, keep us updated on this cause i have a few different krypt locks(and yes one is on my bike) and if they will replace it im going to get mine replaced. thanks for the story to man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
Upgrade? Free? Monkey? All on a friday? Does anybody know how long this trick has been around and how many bikes have gone missing due to a pen? :cuss I just think it's a good thing this is being delt with seriously.
 

·
Bacon is extra!
Joined
·
494 Posts
I haven't liked Kryptonite for a long time. My $3000 mountain bike got stolen from my dorms in Spokane in 1998 and I've been bitter with them ever since. I had a Kryptonite lock on it for about 45 minutes and went downstairs for a ride and it was gone.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,021 Posts
krom said:
I haven't liked Kryptonite for a long time. My $3000 mountain bike got stolen from my dorms in Spokane in 1998 and I've been bitter with them ever since. I had a Kryptonite lock on it for about 45 minutes and went downstairs for a ride and it was gone.
um dont they have some kind of gaurantee about that kind of thing. i would swear i read that about their locks on the package when i bought mine for my mountain bike
 

·
Bacon is extra!
Joined
·
494 Posts
loki1313 said:
um dont they have some kind of gaurantee about that kind of thing. i would swear i read that about their locks on the package when i bought mine for my mountain bike
Dude, I told you I can't read. I just filed a report with the base police and claimed it on my renter's insurance. I'm really lazy.

I still don't like Kryptonite. I recommend getting the lock with the pager alarm. or a trunk monkey.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,021 Posts
krom said:
loki1313 said:
um dont they have some kind of gaurantee about that kind of thing. i would swear i read that about their locks on the package when i bought mine for my mountain bike
Dude, I told you I can't read. I just filed a report with the base police and claimed it on my renter's insurance. I'm really lazy.

I still don't like Kryptonite. I recommend getting the lock with the pager alarm. or a trunk monkey.
you are so lying, i kow you can read, how else did you know what i wrote above then huh huh huh how you jackass :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
UPDATE

UPDATE from website.........
*****************************
Canton, MA September 17, 2004 - Kryptonite today announced it will provide free product upgrades for certain locks purchased since September 2002, in response to consumer concerns about tubular cylinder lock technology. Consumers can visit the company’s Website (www.kryptonitelock.com) on Wednesday afternoon, September 22, 2004, to learn how they can participate in the security upgrade program.

Consumers who have purchased an Evolution lock, KryptoLok lock, New York Chain, New York Noose, Evolution Disc Lock, KryptoDisco or DFS Disc Lock in the last two years are eligible for a product upgrade free of charge from Kryptonite. Customers will need to have either registered their key number, registered for the Kryptonite anti-theft protection offer or have proof of purchase to qualify.

Specifically, Kryptonite will provide for free cross bars featuring the company’s new disc-style cylinder lock technology to consumers who have purchased Evolution and KryptoLok series products. In addition the company will replace for free recently purchased Evolution Disc Locks on New York Chain and New York Noose with its “Molly Lock”, a heavy duty solid steel padlock. Kryptonite also will upgrade recently purchased disc locks.

Consumers who have had one of the Kryptonite locks mentioned with a tubular cylinder for longer than two years will be eligible for a sizeable rebate on the upgraded products. This program will be administered through Kryptonite dealers and distributors.

A distributor and dealer swap program will be rolled out through direct communication from Kryptonite to all its partners.

Full details about this unprecedented program will be available on Kryptonite’s website by afternoon Eastern Standard Time, Wednesday, September 22, 2004, at www.kryptonite.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Has anybody actually gotten a response from Kryptonite? Their silent treatment is pissing me off considering I purchased a $100 chain that can be picked with a freaking bic pen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TXLonghornR6 said:
Has anybody actually gotten a response from Kryptonite? Their silent treatment is pissing me off considering I purchased a $100 chain that can be picked with a freaking bic pen.
i have.

Did you follow the instructions per their website?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I filled out a lock request form on their website. Xtopher, was your lock registered? Luck has it that I bought my lock a week before the defect story broke. So I was SOL all the way. Didn't know if I would have to first register my lock then ask for an exchange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TXLonghornR6 said:
I filled out a lock request form on their website. Xtopher, was your lock registered? Luck has it that I bought my lock a week before the defect story broke. So I was SOL all the way. Didn't know if I would have to first register my lock then ask for an exchange.

I had to email them my contact information, key #, and some other information. I don't remember if I registered my lock when I first got it...I don't think it matters.

They are supposed to be shipping out the new locks Mid-October. I'm going to call them up during the week to see what the status is...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Let us know when you get it, and I'm sure you're going to try to pick that one too. Gotta know which lock not to get, whenever it is I get a bike.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top