Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost... I searched!

I had more experienced buddy help me setup my suspension and it made a huge difference but like everything I want to be able continue to improve my bike for conditions and also have enough knowledge to maintain the advances I make. I've been reading a lot about tire wear and found a guide that has helped put everything together for me and thought I'd share.

http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide

I'd also like to see what you guys think of my tire wear from my most recent track day. Overall it seems pretty good just wondering about the debris on and slight ridge on the back edge of the rear. i also have a little debris on the front but it seems fairly good to me...

I read a fair amount about tire pressure(pilot power 2ct) and decides since I am not the most experienced rider plus the day getting to 86f to run at 36 on both and adjust if it didn't feel right and didn't have an issue so I kept it all day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
What pressures are you running? Did I see 36? That would be way too high for the track. I do believe 30F/28R cold is the spec for the Pilot Power at a track day.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I found very old info that said Michelin recommended 36 for both and decided I'd rather do a session or two higher and go lower than the other direction. I had great grip that way... The first couple sessions I had the back slide a little under hard drive out of corners but it only got better as the day went by.

I really wish Michelin would put out a recommendation for their tires based on temp at the track!

Last track day I had was wet and I ran 32f/34r and had good results. I suspect a more street(vs track) oriented tire like this is less prone to cold tears but I had none. I think my rear shock needs adjustment more than anything at this point.

On the street I've played with pressure a bit and spirited rides gave me weird wear patterns when below 36 which is part of why I started their.

EDIT: I found differing info on pilot power vs pilot power 2 vs pilot power 2ct vs pilot power 3

·
ready to race
83 Posts
I talked to the Michelin rep last winter and was shocked when he said to run the rear at 24 cold ( at the track). way to low for a street tire with my pilot powers I start out at 30-30 in the morning , cold that is... never had any problems at that pressure. no warmers btw. Your tires look fine maby a little tweaking with your rebound would help the raised trailing edge but I wouldn't worry. it doesn't look like your using the whole tire anyway.I switched to Pirelli supercorsa's and run 28 rear hot and 33 f with warmers and its like riding a new bike they stick like a cat on a carpet...really. but don't get caught in the rain with those babies LOL

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying perellis next year, The track days I go to has a perelli guy there and I will be able to get more input. If I get another set of pp 2ct I will play with lower pressure for sure. I've loved these tires as I am 95% street at the moment albeit just fun riding, only commuting is on my way to meet up for rides and the ride home. Hoping to get more track time next year tho so I want to try different tires. Been trying to decide perelli or q3

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
What were your sag numbers in the rear? Specifically static and free sag?

·
ready to race
83 Posts
try to find a set of spare rims over the winter and switch to the Pirelli super corsa sc tires when u go to the track, you will probably cr ap the bed when you see how much faster your cornering is and how much more stable the bike is :) I have the Michelins on the 2 set of rims but im gona sell them and install the D211's (spares)I bought at the superbike race's.. BTW I don't sell tires just telling ya how and what works for me.
Ed

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
I think what it looks like is you're picking up tire from the track (debris)

To clean that up just start getting on the throttle a little earlier. By the looks of the tire you're just coasting through turns.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What were your sag numbers in the rear? Specifically static and free sag?
I have it written down somewhere but it was a little while ago, I'll see if I can find it. I'm pretty new to suspension setup! I know he said I'm right on the limit of needing a softer spring which is surprising since I'm about 220 w/o gear. I was within the manuals recommendations tho

try to find a set of spare rims over the winter and switch to the Pirelli super corsa sc tires when u go to the track, you will probably cr ap the bed when you see how much faster your cornering is and how much more stable the bike is :) I have the Michelins on the 2 set of rims but im gona sell them and install the D211's (spares)I bought at the superbike race's.. BTW I don't sell tires just telling ya how and what works for me.
Ed
Another set of wheels is on the list as finances allow just got to get some higher priorities out of the way...

I think what it looks like is you're picking up tire from the track (debris)

To clean that up just start getting on the throttle a little earlier. By the looks of the tire you're just coasting through turns.
I was practicing trail braking the sessions before the pic and was not going quite as fast, trail braking by the end of the day did wonders for my entry speeds!
And how much life is left in the rear pads?? Take a look at them
Yea, one side is about to start squealing! I have an extra set of pads waiting to be put on, don't use the rear brake as much as I should so I was just watching them and ready to swap if need be but I don't know if I even touched the rear brake all day. I'm pretty quick with some my riding buddies but no where near where I want to be! One thing at a time :YEA

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're spinning the rear quite a bit. The pressures you run are too high as mentioned by others. 30/28 hot off the track is as high as I ride on the PP's.
Thanks for the input!

Is it weird I don't feel the back spinning?

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
I have it written down somewhere but it was a little while ago, I'll see if I can find it. I'm pretty new to suspension setup! I know he said I'm right on the limit of needing a softer spring which is surprising since I'm about 220 w/o gear. I was within the manuals recommendations tho
I typically see those triangles on the front of the sipes on the rear tire when:

1. chain is too tight
  2. spring is too stiff for rider
  3. compression is set too stiff
All in all, something is limiting your suspension travel near full compression and you need to resolve it.

I don't see any rebound issues that I can tell, and the tire pressure may need a little adjustment depending on conditions. Overall, not bad.

We have a thread on the R1-Forum that started as a "chicken strip" joke thread, but then a couple of racers and I started analyzing tires in it. I've tried to start the topic on other Forums, but most people think it's horse crap, so I don't bring it up unless someone asks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome thanks! I just put the chain on and had 1.25" of slack I believe but I'll double check(i ussed to run 1" of slack but think it was Dave Moss I heard say 1.25")

My rear shock has one or two clicks left and I'm not sure off hand the other settings.

I'll have to look for the r1 thread, you'll see me over there I'm sure :)

I really wish I could put together a guide with good pics of different setting issue evidence in tires for quick reference as I learn... I know when we set it up it was like a different bike but I don't trust "feel" 100%... I like the idea of evidence to back up my feeling on the bike.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack but here's mine after the trackday on 8/23. Maybe it will help out the thread. I know for sure that I'm not using the whole tire and I did end up going back one click on the rebound after the first session. But not once did I feel like the tire was slipping. I got the Pilot 2CT.

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't mean to thread jack but here's mine after the trackday on 8/23. Maybe it will help out the thread. I know for sure that I'm not using the whole tire and I did end up going back one click on the rebound after the first session. But not once did I feel like the tire was slipping. I got the Pilot 2CT.
Wow! Very similar wear...

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I really wish I could put together a guide with good pics of different setting issue evidence in tires for quick reference as I learn... I know when we set it up it was like a different bike but I don't trust "feel" 100%... I like the idea of evidence to back up my feeling on the bike.
:rolleyes: You are trying to read street tires in an environment they weren't really designed for. I always laugh in the pits you hear folks say "Dave Moss says"... but those people have never met him.
You cant be a rider & a crew chief at the same time. You can make a binder with setup notes. The more variables the better. Full data multi point acquisition is best as anything less is wasting your time. :lmao

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
:rolleyes: You are trying to read street tires in an environment they weren't really designed for. Michelin says these tires are street and track tires

I always laugh in the pits you hear folks say "Dave Moss says"... but those people have never met him.
He has lots of educational videos, whats wrong with learning from them and quoting? I will say that "what Dave Moss says" is not an end all but his materiel is a great addition to the other tools of learning suspension.

You cant be a rider & a crew chief at the same time.
This would be relevant if I was racing. Not a lot of guys at track days bring crew chiefs

You can make a binder with setup notes. The more variables the better.
Great idea, I need to do a better job of this!

Full data multi point acquisition is best as anything less is wasting your time. :lmao
Yep, looking at your tires and seeing they are not wearing correctly is a waste of time :BS
:sing

I'm not trying to set track records... I'm trying to become a better rider. Learning to set my bike up is part of being a better rider. Proper setup makes the bike easier to ride so I can focus more on growth. Learning setup also advances my knowledge of the bike and its geometry which further aids in proper technique.

·
ready to race
83 Posts
.......+1

i'm not trying to set track records... I'm trying to become a better rider. Learning to set my bike up is part of being a better rider. Proper setup makes the bike easier to ride so i can focus more on growth. Learning setup also advances my knowledge of the bike and its geometry which further aids in proper technique.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I'm not trying to set track records... I'm trying to become a better rider. Learning to set my bike up is part of being a better rider. Proper setup makes the bike easier to ride so I can focus more on growth. Learning setup also advances my knowledge of the bike and its geometry which further aids in proper technique.
Riding helps you become a better rider. Wrenching helps you mechanic betterer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts